Father & Daughter nite

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Father & Daughter nite

Postby jeffl » Wed May 10, 2006 4:51 pm

My 30 yr. old daughter from Seattle is visitin' me this week due to my brother-in-law's funeral; she'll be goin' to either a jam or open mic with me tonite,'cuz she's never heard me play on stage. I'm worried she'll be bored 'cuz it ain't her style of music,and she'll be sittin' alone prob'ly. I almost didn't wanna go because of that,but then I thought that it's important that she hears her dad play at least once in her life. 'Sides,she can drive me home,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Father & Daughter nite

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed May 10, 2006 5:04 pm

Have fun, Bubba.

Don't worry, even if it's not her kinda music, she'll be enjoying it because it's you up there playing.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

Oh yeah, it'll be cool.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby warren » Wed May 10, 2006 5:18 pm

i agree...take her with you...sounds like a win win for everybody. Who knows, maybe it will become her kind of music, or at least her appreciation of the style might be better.

ww
warren
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed May 10, 2006 6:02 pm

Her background is at least on the other side of the planet from blues: she has been promoting rave dj's...drum &bass,techno,and house. She's been gettin' out of it,'cuz the people in the industry-i.e.,the club owners,managers,and posses,are involved with drugs,guns,prostitution,etc. She moved from Everett out into the country about 15 miles,and doesn't even go into clubs anymore.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed May 10, 2006 6:03 pm

Good for her! Smart.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed May 10, 2006 7:41 pm

Sorry for the circumstances that are bringing her to town, but enjoy your time with your daughter. She needs to hear you play and share what you are into.

My 19 year old daughter humors me and checks my band out every couple months. I know it's not her kind of music, but I appreciate her making the effort just the same. Last time she showed me her IPOD she had almost the entire Beatles catalog loaded into it, so there may be hope yet! :D

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed May 10, 2006 7:45 pm

>Sorry for the circumstances that are bringing her to town,
>but enjoy your time with your daughter. She needs to hear
>you play and share what you are into.
>
>My 19 year old daughter humors me and checks my band out
>every couple months. I know it's not her kind of music, but
>I appreciate her making the effort just the same. Last time
>she showed me her IPOD she had almost the entire Beatles
>catalog loaded into it, so there may be hope yet! :D
>
>Bosco
Yer right,Bosco. I listen to the stuff my daughter has promoted,when she's around,jus' 'cuz I'm interested in what she's been doin'. Otherwise,I don't think I'd listen to that stuff at all.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Wed May 10, 2006 10:55 pm

My boys weren't into my kind of music either until I started playing the guitar again. I can sit down with my flattop or electric and play/sing some of my music for them and then when they're riding with me in the car they really dig the tunes I'm listening to because I've played them for them myself. My three year old knows all the words to "Shake your Moneymaker". I'm not really sure if thats a good thing but it sure is cute to see him do his dance and sing along.

I hope your daughter enjoys herself

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu May 11, 2006 12:35 am

It'll be great Bubs!
Just don't lose yer tune if ya look out at her table and there's a hord of hairy legged guys try'n to buy her drinks! LOL
As for the "not her type of music" I agree w/ the others that it's HER daddy up there so it don't matter what yer play'n!
Last night both my boys were in town and I was doin a bit of shred slide for my eldest and my younger (the Rainman of music) commented that he had been mess'n around w/ my reso's and slides and he had a HUGE respect for the sounds I could get outta my git! MAN, that was a MAJOR compliment coming from the kid who can pick up ANY instrument and figger it out in the blink of an eye!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu May 11, 2006 3:39 am

I thought about this a lot today after I read it and I think she will be so proud of you. I always tell my daughter when something is important to me. She went to the car show and street fair with me last Sunday, we ate listened to some bands looked at all the cars, commented said hi to people we knew and just enjoyed the day. Then we went shopping in town and drove all the way home. I told her that I enjoyed it so much her being with me and sharing the day. She said it was fun and even seemed a little surprised. I think it made her feel good that her presence was what made the day so great. Let us know how it goes.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bluejay » Thu May 11, 2006 2:47 pm

My 20-year-old daughter has started showing interest in my late '60s/early '70s tunes, and bemoaning the fact she can't listen to all the vinyl in my closet. Latest discovery for her is CSN&Y so I gave her my CDs of the first two albums. One of her college buds found out I played guitar and was an old stoner hippy and keeps telling her how cool that is and how he wants to jam with me sometime when I visit Ann Arbor and talk about the "old" music he is listening to. Now she isn't just calling me her "crazy old dad" lol. There's hope for the next generation after all.

I'm hoping that after she gets through college she will find the time to pick up her violin again. As I've progressed on the guitar, I've been hoping we could play a few tunes together some day.
bluejay
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Thu May 11, 2006 4:11 pm

I bet she'll be proud as punch to see you up on stage.
Have a great time Bubba!
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri May 12, 2006 1:51 pm

And remember the blues in it's time had plenty of the aforementioned problems you described in the house techno music. Lots of guns, knives, bootleg whiskey, prostitution, and more. I was just thinking about this topic yesterday and thought I'd mention it as we look at things that are happening today and see it as pretty violent.
lorilu
Regular

Return to About Gigs