RE: Live blues scene in your neck o' the wood

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby lorilu » Sat May 13, 2006 3:26 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-12-06 AT 11:28 PM (EST)]That is so cool with the dogs driving. Walter and Judy's babies. It does seem like your place might be worth more but that is still a crazy price. Sounds like you really researched the area and you guys will be very happy and peaceful. I have to agree with you about that area. Ellie and I spent a lot of hours looking at the most gorgeous scenery. Really beautiful. I talked to people who lived in the different towns we went to and some were sick of the overcrowding and looking to get out like you guys.

Yeah, the world is going crazy right now. Grady, that is cool that you can do what you do. Are you a one person act? I probably need to look on your site and check out what you do. I have such a hard time downloading anyones music. It is cool that you are so versatile. Are you the one that said I would rather be dragged face first through broken glass than to play Lynard Skynard? I remember reading that and busting up.

Mark, I listened to your songs. Great job! Smooth sounds like it would be very popular. I went to the Crossroads bar last night to hear our own Ron Thompson rtblues.com He is so awesome. I have been a fan for many years and the guy gets the crowd dancing. I got there late and got in plenty of dancing. What he does is play at a club weekly from 7-9 free for the customers. I don't know if he takes a percentage, but he sells cds and there's a tip jar. He has a killer 3 piece and it is unbelievable. Don Heflin, who runs the central valley blues society and newsletter, plays bass. I think Don singlehandedly keeps the blues alive in this area by that newsletter and calendar. We know of every event and gig within 100s of miles from here and many of us travel for a good band. You guys should check out Ron Thompson if you get a chance.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat May 13, 2006 3:29 am

Ok, that link didn't work out. I'll have to double check. See what happened.
lorilu
Regular

Postby grady » Sat May 13, 2006 4:12 am

"""Grady, that is cool that you can do what you do. Are you a one person act? I probably need to look on your site and check out what you do. I have such a hard time downloading anyones music. It is cool that you are so versatile. Are you the one that said I would rather be dragged face first through broken glass than to play Lynard Skynard? I remember reading that and busting up."""

Yeh, that was me that said that...LOL !!
I am a Solo Act.
I found out long ago that it's just too hard to keep 3 or 4 guys on the same track. People can be so "unreliable and flighty".

What I've experienced around here is,,

You get some guys together, form a so-called "Band"
One guy comes to Band practice with a bag of Weed, another one brings a bunch of Alcohol, the other guy's Wife or Girlfriend is dictating to him when he can & cannot play and it's just a freakin' mess.
Nothing ever gets accomplished and it just ends up a disaster.

Nothing pisses me off more than a bunch of guys sitting around saying "We're gonna do this or that" and in reality, they're never gonna do jack-sh*t but get high and talk about it.

That's why I'm a Solo Artist.

I don't need the Aggravation that comes with being in a Band.

Plus, the money is MUCH better being a Solo Artist.

LoriLu,

Can you Download a "ZIP" File ??
or a "RAR" File ???

If so, Email me at jagr68@citlink.net
and I'll hook you up with my entire cd, complete with cover for free.
grady
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun May 14, 2006 11:57 am

Walter-

Southern Michigan isn't that far from the east Columbus area, maybe 4 hours tops. We'll have to try and hook up after you get relocated. Much has been written about your BBQ skills and a BRB/Midwest mini Fest would be real cool. (maybe next summer?)

Best of luck with your relocation.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Mon May 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Yeah, give us the word when things are set, Walter. We'll swing down and give you a good Midwestern welcome. We have a poet friend in Columbus, so it's already on our radar to visit again at some point.
bluejay
Regular

Re: RE: Live blues scene in your neck o' the wood

Postby watertore » Tue May 16, 2006 4:18 am

bosco wrote:Walter-

Southern Michigan isn't that far from the east Columbus area, maybe 4 hours tops. We'll have to try and hook up after you get relocated. Much has been written about your BBQ skills and a BRB/Midwest mini Fest would be real cool. (maybe next summer?)

Best of luck with your relocation.

Bosco

Hi Bosco: That is a plan. We will be settled in, and I was planning to do an annual outdoor blues fest on the acreage we buy. See you then! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Tue May 16, 2006 5:01 am

Walter,

Have you been in touch with the Columbus Blues Alliance yet ???

They'd love you.
grady
Regular

Postby watertore » Tue May 16, 2006 3:49 pm

grady wrote:Walter,

Have you been in touch with the Columbus Blues Alliance yet ???

They'd love you.

thanks Grady! Sean Conery turned us on to the Granville area, and Peter Simon is excited about our move. I lived in Athens 35 years ago, and wanted to move back, but Sean redirected us. Sean has been the president of the columbus blues society, and is well established as a player. He backs Tiny Tucker, and a lot of the old guys, as well as having his own band. He and peter even offered to organize a unloading the truck crew. Fortunately, we are hiring Bekins. Tony Houston, of the primetime blues band, is a friend too. It is exciting to have some music buisness people looking forward to us getting there. I hear that columbus, granville, and newark, are all non smoking too! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to About Gigs