RE: Live blues scene in your neck o' the wood

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby david » Sun May 07, 2006 10:33 pm

Except for the annual Hot August Blues Festival on Kentucky lake, you'd have to drive many hours from western Kentucky to find any live blues.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:59 pm

I hear you there David it doesn't get much better on the Eastern side of Kentucky. My band is playing a mix of classic rock and blues just so we can market ourselves. We pick out the classic rocker bands and do their blues tunes with a few originals thrown in. Being in a small town there are only a handful (3-4) places that have live bands regularly so options are limited. If we played country we could get the better paying gigs at the VFW and the different lodges but my feet are firmly set against any more honky tonking. If we can command some decent money I wouldn't be against traveling to Lexington or Cincinnati where the blues still has a heartbeat and some clubs to play in but for the time being we can't pack up and drive 60-70 miles for 2-3 hundred bucks.
Maybe having few places to play is why I have the blues.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby david » Mon May 08, 2006 9:24 pm

Stratman, have you ever made it to the blues festivals in Henderson or at Kentucky Lake?

Both are mostly mediocre fare, but seem to always bring in one or two quality acts every year.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:39 am

No sure haven't but might try to go west this August especially if there some good picking going on after the shows.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby david » Tue May 09, 2006 2:53 pm

Let me know if you head this direction.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Tue May 09, 2006 8:39 pm

Here in the desert southwest, the blues is alive and well. In fact everything from avant Gard minimalist one string drone to psychosurfablilly is alive and thriving in the land of Enchantment.

As Iv'e said before "it aint Austin, but it aint bad"!!!
oleman
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed May 10, 2006 3:51 am

That's it! I'm moving to Arizona. Maybe the four corners so I could hang out in all those states. THAT would probably work for me. I want to comment on bands. As a really long time person hanging out listening to music and going to clubs concerts festivals, I have always felt it is the individual band is what can attract people. You can get in a club or festival at least once, and then you create the rest. If your sound and performance is really good and a little different and original that people want to hear and dance to. It gets them moving and feeling good. Then you promote by flyers and just any way you can to get people to come to your gig. I lived in Seattle for a few years when I was 19 and 20. I used to go to the Rainbow Tavern and another club down the street a lot. Rockin' bands all the time. All different kinds. You make it what it is. Your band does. If you want to play the traditional blues you have to find the place to play it at and make people want to come see you. If you don't think there are any musicians put an ad somewhere; "Do you love to play the blues, well call me at..." You will eventually find some people. Look, I make my living by taking what I do as art and getting people to pay me to do some art for them. I have done this on my own for 15 years. I do it all by flyers that I make and showing pictures. It is primitive maybe, but I actually survive. I do not ever believe that you can't do something - you make it happen.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed May 10, 2006 3:14 pm

Hey Mark,
Sorry, didn't really know your situation. I'm glad to hear you guys aren't compromising. Like you said, the tides will turn again. Who knows why things happen the way they do. Maybe there are some places you haven't played yet, maybe out of town. I am just one of those that is gonna look for whatever I need to do to keep on. I have had to do things that way. Sounds like you guys are doing the same to keep afloat. Best, best of luck and I know it will come around for you again. I have a hard time listening to people's music unless it's on soundclick because I have dial-up and it takes 2 hours to download 1 song.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu May 11, 2006 3:44 am

Thanks, Mark. I'm downloading it right now.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri May 12, 2006 5:42 pm

The "blues scene" where I live consists pretty much of rock players boring everyone who is not high on cocaine with long, self-indulgent solos on overdone bar band "standards" like "Strormy Monday" or "Mustang sally" or worse...

There are very few people interested in traditional blues styles, the only guy that's really doing anything here is harp player Bharath Rajakumar, who I occasionally play with and recently recorded with (along with my hero Junior Watson!), he's a Little Walter fanatic and pretty much the only guy in town playing what I'd call "real" blues, with arrangements, short structured songs, and tradional playing. Check out his website http://www.trublues.com and take a look at his video. He's a cool guy and hopefully you'll be hearing more of him in the future, because Junior watson has been playing the recordings to everyone on the west coast, from Rick Holmstrom to Kim Wilson, and apparently they're all diggin' the hell out of it. I'm proud to have been a part of it.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby grady » Fri May 12, 2006 6:06 pm

The ole Blues/Classic Rock struggle is one that I've managed to
master.

I love both of those genres so, I have plenty of both ready to go at a moment's notice.

This is what gets me the gigs I need to make a good living playing music.

I can go from a Billy Joel or David Bowie tune to a Robert Johnson song and back to a Jimi Hendrix tune in the blink of an eye.
Then, I'll do a RL Burnside or Fred McDowell number and quickly go into Locomotive Breath by Jethro Tull.

It's all about giving the Public & the Club Owners what they want.

Just don't ask me to play anything by the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd or Nirvana....LOL !!!
ain't gonna happen
grady
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri May 12, 2006 10:14 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-12-06 AT 06:21 PM (EST)]Here in sonoma county, california (70 miles north of SF), there is not much. The sonoma county blues society does a weekly jam I think, and there is a bit of blues going on in the clubs, but barely a bit. Bill Bowker hosts a weekly blues show on the CRUSH radio, and he does the sonoma county blues festival, at the county fair every august. I have always found a few good gigs wherever I live, and here I have 2 small clubs that book me as much as I want to play, which is 7-10 times a month. I don't count these as blues gigs, because I really don't consider myself a blues player.

When I lived here 30 years ago, it was pretty smokin hot up here. My band worked 20+ gigs a month in sonoma county, and We would back up the old bay area guys a few times a month up here as well, like cool papa, frankie lee,sonny rhodes, miss. johnny waters, johnny b. good, and that crew. They all are gone except frankie and sonny, . I would often have over 30 gigs in a month. Now, if I really worked at it, I could probably get 15, in very small bars/coffe house type places. Back in the day, we would play to up to 200 people a night, and averaged around 100. The money was pretty good back then. I never had a day job. Today, the pay has gone to crap. You can pay to play around here, and those 15 gigs wouldn't put a dent in our living expenses. Rents are so high, and real estate is gold, so the clubs are all struggling to stay afloat. To give you an idea of overhead here, our little 1,200 square foot house (lorilu and her daughter were here) is worth $525k! That is why we are selling this summer, and moving to ohio. We will be able to pay cash, for 5-10 acres, and a 2,500+ sq ft home. The weather is the best in the world here in somoma county, and you pay for it. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Fri May 12, 2006 10:32 pm

Hey Walter,

Where at in Ohio ??
grady
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri May 12, 2006 11:38 pm

>>> is worth $525k!

Walter,
Are ya sure that's it? Seems low for yer part of the country! I live in Bakersfield (where they put the tube when they wanna give the west coast an enema) and my place is worth almost that!
Yer in God's country up there man but I hear ya on the move to Ohio or ANYWHERE outta Calif.! Lotta my horse trainer buddies have sold out here and moved to Tx or Ok and paid cash for HUGE ranches with big houses, barns and covered arenas!
My brother just paid $925K for a 2000 sq. house with NO pool in Walnut Creek! His frikkin payment is more than alotta folks make per month!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sat May 13, 2006 12:56 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-12-06 AT 08:59 PM (EST)]Hi Grady: We are heading to the Granville/Newark area. It is about 35 miles east of Columbus. It is a pretty mellow place, with only about 4,000 people. Granville was founded by New Englanders back in the early 1800's, and it looks just like a new england village. They have very little crime, very liberal, no smoking, a small university, not growing too fast, open space laws, and affordable. It is a place where we can grow old and die. They even have a blues festival.

Mickey: This was God's country, until man ruined it. It is getting way overcrowded, polluted, and lots of crime. The grape vines have displaced almost all of the apple orchards and cows. This place is finished. It is a shame, because it has more natural beauty, and weather, than just about any place on earth. I toured all over the USA, Europe, and Scandinavia, and have seen no where as nice as here.

Our house is a nice california bungalow, built in 1937(all old growth redwood), with a 9,000 sq ft lot, detached 2 car garage, and my recording studio. We have a nice fireplace, built ins, original hardwood floors, arched lath ceiling/walls. It is in downtown santa rosa. It is a really nice house in near mint(original) condition. Our realator thinks it will sell for 520-535k. This is a once in lifetime opportunity for Judy and me. This is our first home, and it has doubled in value in the 5 years we have been in it. To live debt free, sounds so good. We are selling around august, having a huge garage sale, having Bekins move our stuff to storage, and heading east in our motorhome. We will be living in it with our 2 dogs, and cat, until we find our forever home. I hope it is our forever home. I have lived in 5 states, Belgium, Norway, and have moved upwards of 30 times, since I started playing music. My highway shoes are wore out :) Walter

the dogs love the MH. So does our cat, only she has never been in it, when it is moving. We have been letting her in everday, to get use to it. She loves it, at least when it is parked.

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs