After Work Today

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

After Work Today

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:59 am

A coworker named Melissa whom I've said for years is "a ray of sunshine" in our place is leaving for another job opportunity, so we had a party for her after work. Naturally, I had to do a version of "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone." Didn't stick to Mr. Withers' lyrics. Didn't nail it perfectly, I had a mental pause for half a second or so trying to think which line I was singing early in the song, and when she started bawling my fingers stiffened up and I fluffed a few notes here and there. But it went over well. I know someone shot a cell phone video, maybe I'll get a copy. If not, I'll make a computer recording and post it before long. Used Doc's shotgun muzzle slide on my Johnson Tricone, in Emin tuning.
ricochet
Regular

Re: After Work Today

Postby mnozzolio » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:30 am

Episodes like that, where you really touch someone, even if you didn't play perfectly, are worth all of the high-paying gigs in front of hundreds of people or more. OK, maybe not all of the high-paying gigs... :D
She'll remember this day and your playing for a long time, if not the rest of her life. That is really something to be feel good about. Way to go!
mnozzolio
Regular

Re: After Work Today

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks! She talked about it today (her actual last day.) Said it was good, and it really did hit home.
ricochet
Regular

Return to About Gigs