Maxx Boogie

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Maxx Boogie

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:01 pm

We played the Fordbridge Social Club on Saturday night, bottom of the bill and 6 numbers, no money but a chance to learn some more of our craft. Me, Moss, Clive and a drummer named Danny.

Rehearsals were bedevilled with rearrangements and wholesale editing of songs and paranoia over what was going to work and what wasn't. Ended up with Big Boss Man, 9 Below Zero, Who's Been Talking, Proud Mary, Thrill Is Gone, Shake Your Moneymaker. Proud Mary isn't a favourite, but it was decided to use it as a sop to the audience who wouldn't know the rest of the songs. We might get Mustang Sally on the list for the future, it is only an elongated blues anyway. And some of the standards that the locals think are "Elvis songs".

Biggest challenge for me was soloing on Thrill, so much empty space, so much opportunity to cock it up but we got away with it. Moneymaker was the highlight for me, I just love the joy of it, the crowd liked it too.

The show's producers, Mainline Studios, will probably be invited back as the bar took 5 times as much money as a normal Saturday night. Success in a small way for us, but a success nonetheless.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Maxx Boogie

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:50 pm

I don't mean to be critical but playing for free is a no, no in my town. Some of the new bands have so many members, like 6 to 7, and they play for $100.00 a night and that torks me off. I want $300.00 for the three of us. $100.00 divided by six ain't worth showing up for in my opinion. These bands are bringing the pay down for everyone. Truth is, they ain't that good either. Seems like the crappy bands will take the lower pay. Why do you play for free? I'm not asking in a snotty tone of voice, I would really like to know why you played for free. You're in England, right?
Getting there, setting up, playing and then tearing down is a lot of bloody work as you working cats all know.
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: Maxx Boogie

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:41 am

First steps, getting to know people who are getting paid elsewhere, getting experience of gigging with little pressure (me and Clive are ageing amateurs, so we need all the help we can get). And free rehearsal room time in exchange for breaking the evening's ice. That means you don't have to commit tax or benefit fraud. Also I like to think of this as an audition, think of it as a loss leader.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs