PACKIN' HEAT

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

PACKIN' HEAT

Postby bigdaddy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:47 pm

The band played a gig some months back and this homeless, arian nation looking dude stood about 5 feet from me staring at me the whole night. A big dude to. I was anticipated an attack the whole night. I am not a small fellow and I was raised around violence but this dude kind of scared me. About three weeks after this gig the dude stabbed some guy to death in a park a block away from this bar plus he attacked a woman then charged police who shot him dead. I debated for about year before this gig about getting a concealed permit and start carrin' a gun. The Trolly Square killings got me to thinkin' about it but this dude cemented the decision. I got the permit and I carry now every where I go. My neighborhood is full of junkies and crack houses and gang bangers. It's the broke down side of town. I feel comfortable about the decision. We do play some pretty rowdy bars and I feel a better being armed. It has made me not as mouthy as before I carried. I tend to advoid the rowdies and just do my job. I seem to be a little more tolerant about idiots. There are idiots at every gig. Anyways, that's what I do now. I carry two guns at gigs, the black precision and the black semi automatic. I carry the gun loaded and cocked so all I have to do is flip the safety and pull the trigger. I choose to carry this way because I can fire the gun with one hand while defend myself from an attacker with the other.
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: PACKIN' HEAT

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:34 am

Good idea, BigDaddy. Like you said, you have to be nice and avoid trouble if you're packing. That's only there to defend yourself if you're in immediate danger of death or serious harm, and if you've provoked it in any way it's no longer self-defense.

Robert Heinlein said "An armed society is a polite society." Much of our formal etiquette came from armed men working out ways to avoid giving offense to one another.
ricochet
Regular

Postby dcblues » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:46 am

I remember reading a Paul Oscher interview where he talked about playing with Muddy Waters in some bad parts of Chicago in the 60s or 70s and everyone in the band was carrying. It was necessary in the places they played, and it sounds like it's the same for you.

Be careful. I hope you never have to use what you carry.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:07 am

If you live, work, or do whatever in shady areas, I don't blame you for carrying a weapon. It could save your life in a certain situation. I too, hope that you never have to use it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:08 am

As an owner of several guns, growing up in a military family, longtime hunter and gun enthusiast....cocked and locked, unless you are undercover wearing a wire infiltrating the mob...is just bad juju! Be careful man.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:29 am

All I can add is that I hope you can find a way out of the place you're in, and get the work somewhere you don't need a weapon of any sort at all.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:26 pm

I disagree with you on the cocked and locked, TB. If you don't carry it that way, you'll never get it ready for action in time if you need it. Military use of firearms is rather different from civilian self-protection, commonly involving more time to be alerted to the need. It's certainly imperative on anyone carrying to make sure their weapon is in good working order, to carry it securely, and to be familiar with its operation and proficient in its use. There are plenty of sites with pages and pages of discussion on this topic.

And Maxx is absolutely right. If you can avoid a risky situation, that beats the hell out of any preparations to fight your way out of it!
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:47 pm

"Cocked and Locked" aka Condition One suggests he is carrying a Colt Government Model or a pistol of that basic design. On the earlier designs, prior to the introduction of firing pin blocks, having the hammer down on a loaded chamber could lead to a negligent discharge if the pistol were to be dropped. I've carried a Government model for years in Condition One and have never had a problem. I guess all my years in law enforcement and the time I spent as a firearms instructor have finally paid off.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:26 pm

I carry a 9mm everywhere I go.
I keep loaded Magazines in the Console and the gun under my Driver's seat.
I can reach it, slap a mag in it in 2 heartbeats.

I would not hesitate for a second to put a bullet in somebody if I felt my Life or my Child's life was in jeopardy.
Then, I would go in front of the Judge with all sincerity and tell him that I would do it again if I were put in the same predicament.

I live in a great neighborhood but, I'm out there all alone on some pretty long drives between the House and gigs late at night.
grady
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 pm

I am aware of my gun. It's on my hip in a holster, secure. I take it to Impact Guns once a month and shoot about 50 rounds thru it. It wasn't an easy decision but I felt I had to do it. I pray I never have to use it. When I get home from gigs it's around 2:30 in the morning. I am usally by myself with the P/T Cruiser to unload. My street is a main street with people walking up and down it 24/7. I open the blinds, turn on the porch light, leave the front door open, move my gear from the Cruiser to the front room floor so my eye is never off the gear. Once done I then lock the door and then put the gear in the music room. The reason for the condition one is for the single hand use to fire it. If I'm pulling my gun I have already been attacked, there will be no other reason. It would be nice to play nicer joints but the blues we play go over big in the biker clubs and other rowdy joints. We played a "yuppie" type bar once and what a drag. Them cats were way to square. The bar owner called me about two later for another gig and I had to turn him down. Not our crowd. Thanks for the support with the gun, it was a big decision.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:40 am

grady wrote:I carry a 9mm everywhere I go.
I keep loaded Magazines in the Console and the gun under my Driver's seat.
I can reach it, slap a mag in it in 2 heartbeats.

Thats bad Grady. If you gonna pack it, load it. An unloaded gun is an expensive club and a damn ineffective one at that. Talk about "cocked and locked" only way to go if your carrying a 1911 or a single action auto. I guess my Glocks are same condition without a "conventional" safety. I always go hot with one in the chamber. I dont figure if a bad deal goes down I'll have time to think if the safety is on or if theres one in the pipe. With a Glock its super simple, point and shoot. Hopefully none of us ever have to use a gun to defend yourself but it sure makes you feel a little safer when your packing an equalizer.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:14 am

Just a question.. but isn't illegal to travel with a loaded gun in your vehicle? I thought I heard that somewhere but I don't know if it's true or not.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:02 am

It depends. Here in Tennessee it's only legal if you have a handgun carry permit. As of sometime last summer, going armed without a permit is a felony.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:25 am

Well maybe it's here in Washington then. My dad and I were going somewhere and we had brought our Luger with us, and he told me that it was illegal to have the loaded magazine in the gun in the vehicle. I'll have to look in to it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Unless you're licensed to carry, you probably have to keep it both unloaded and out of reach (i.e., in the trunk.)
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs