A Pleasant Surprise

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

A Pleasant Surprise

Postby dcblues » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:32 pm

I played a private party gig this weekend with my acoustic trio. The party was outside and the weather was perfect. We were on a deck in the backyard, kind of background music for the guests. There were lots of kids there, and a few of them really got into the music. The hosts had good wine, a keg of German and Belgian beer and barbecue from a local restaurant.

I wasn't sure how this gig was going to be. The host originally asked us to play from 5 - 10 PM. I told him we reallly didn't have enough material for five hours. I suggested three sets and he liked that idea. When I got there he told me he wasn't really thinking when he said 5 - 10. He meant that the party would start around 5 and he wanted us to be there at 5 and start playing at 6. He also told me not to worry about how long our sets and breaks were and to make it casual.

We had a nice time playing, and even though we were sort of in the background, people really liked us and told us so. We might get some more party gigs from that one.

Here is the surprise part. We were supposed to get $300. When I asked one of our hosts about getting paid she told me she had the money ready for me. She started counting out $100 bills and handed me $600. I was going to tell her that she was paying me too much. Before I got a chance to tell her that, she said "I know we agreed on $100 per band member, but we wanted you to have $200 each." I, of course, did not argue with that.

They gave all of us food to take home (I'll be eating barbecue sandwiches for dinner a couple of nights this week) and asked us to play the party again next year.

I love it when stuff like that happens!
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:43 pm

Hey, people throwing private parties are usually pretty generous - it's a nice break from people who are in the business of giving musicians the shaft.

Glad you had a ball.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:53 pm

Very cool, dcb! Sounds like a great gig!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houserocker » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Hey DC congrats, private parties are the best, got a $100. tip last Sat night at a nice little acoustic duo private party! :D

http://www.thehouserockers.net
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:47 pm

I knew these people could afford to pay us well. They live in a pretty afluent are of DC, and they had no problem with paying us $300 for a trio.

To top it off, I sold an amp yesterday (a DanElectro Dirty Thirty which I haven't used in years) for $60. So I have lots of extra cash this week.
Last edited by dcblues on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:40 pm

Nice work. Not looking for a slide player are you?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Sorry, we already have two guitarists and both can play slide. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Very nice!
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:35 am

dcblues wrote:Sorry, we already have two guitarists and both can play slide. :)

Bugger.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs