Anti-smoking laws

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:48 pm

In my town,bars that do less than 50% of their gross in food can allow smoking; anybody who has a good food business bans smoking. I don't mind the smell of smoke when I'm in the place,but I hate it in my hair and clothes the next day. And,I definitely like playing in smoke-free places better; my throat is in much better condition the next day. Many great music venues around the country have had to close in the last few years when smoking bans were enacted. We just lost a classic venue in Minneapolis,where Koerner,Ray,and Glover built their rep.,and Bonnie Raitt,Willie Murphy,Bob Dylan,Leo Kottke,and other greats held court. Willie Murphy showed up for his regular Monday nite gig there on the last nite they were open,and somehow he was the only one in the house who didn't know it was the last nite,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:39 pm

I don't know if I buy the Insurance Lobby theory. I know they have lots of $$ to throw around, but they aren't exactly the most popular lobbyists in most cities. Heck, they can't even get stronger laws passed in Colorado for uninsured motorists. Half the state's population doesn't have car insurance (and guess who pays for that?) but the best they can do is slap you with a $100 dollar fine for driving without insurance.

Most of my musician friends are glad to see the law passed because they will no longer have to play in smoke filled rooms every night. Of course they may not be so happy if their gig numbers begin to dwindle..... it will be interesting to see how it all turns out in the long run.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:01 pm

I understand that the people will come back in even larger numbers. Smoke or no smoke, I just want an audience that appreciates the music. Played a couple of places where people just sit and that bores me. Did a show once and I was the only one dancing. Time will tell what goes down. I was in a new bar last Saturday checking out a band. New bars are smoke free but people were still suckin' and blowin'. Maybe I can get a job on the smoke police squad.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:30 am

In my neck of the woods clubs and hotels are currently allowed just one designated area for smokers, my local has designated the area between the front and rear doors :roll:
beard-of-grey
Regular

Postby TC90 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:16 am

I live in Lincoln, NE and the no smoking policy was placed into effect in the first part of 2006. Like others, I have mixed feelings about this. I don't smoke, but I feel the bar OWNER who pays taxes and the rent, light bills, heat, and puts up with all the Bull should be able to make the rules for HIS business. I feel government has way too much control over people, which is not a good thing. Each person has their one life, and it is up to them to navigate through their life how they see fit. No one FORCES a person to get a job at a certain business. No one FORCES a person to go into any particular establishment. I work in Aviation and am exposed to some pretty nasty chemicals and fluids. It is MY responsibility to protect MYSELF. I take the time to put on good quality rubber gloves and safety glasses. No one forced me to work here, and I knew the hazards when I started. PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES! I also think that not everyone has a RIGHT to everything in this world. People don't have to go into a bar with smoking if they don't want to, it is a choice. Now, if you want to talk about government and laws protecting others, how about drunk driving. This one burns me to no end! A totally innocent group of older couples driving down the highway on vacation with no thought of dying, following ALL traffic laws and enjoying their right to life on this earth. A DRUNK state employee (not NE, AZ I believe) in a state truck totally drunk out of his mind. Stupid Drunk crossed the center line and hits older coulples head on, killing them all four instantly. People are worried about second hand smoke in private businesses when this crap goes on every day? To totally innocent people? And the saddest part is that many times, these loser drunks have multiple arrests in their record, but nothing is done to them. I say put them in WORK camps for five years, first offense. No TV, no radio, no magazines, or college courses, no library, etc. THree squares, a cot, cold shower, and work. Maybe then, people might think twice about doin' it.
TC90
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:42 pm

:shock: Well lets really look at the problem, That is Nicotine addiction, not the smoke, you can satisfi you nico,craving without smoke!!there is nico gum, there is a nico mint called stonewall, so you can get your nico without all that harmful smoke !!I don't smoke either, however I do have a nicotine addiction, so I use a gum,or a much cheaper alternative is the stonewall,mint. and no one knows Iam gittin my nicotine fix, Iam not harming anyone but myself and I don't stink!!and I have friends that to this day never know I have anything to do with Nicotine, So yes Nicotine is leagal and you can use it but you don't have to gross everyone out around you to do it!! So the no smoking ban doesen't bother me cuz I don't use smoke to get my nicotine fix!! So a smoker should really consider an alternitive way of getting ther nico with out smoke, That is just the dilivery system to your body, Its the carbon monoxide and all the other crap in smoke that is a killer !!not really the nicotine, so why not get the drug with out all that smoke and deadly crap gettin inta yer lungs??
601blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:34 pm

OK Walter, how does smoking affect club/bar attendance? That's what this thread is about after all.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Smoking ?

Postby bluesfyre » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:28 pm

And for the record......

I smoke. I've been smoking for 35 years. I enjoy it, as much as I enjoy a shot of Jack Daniels, usually together. :-) Most of my friends smoke. Most people, it appears, in the bars where I have played, smoke. They go outside.
All public places here in Ontario, Canada, are smoke-free. I run outside on breaks, with everyone else, to smoke. Yup.... They moved the spittoons outside years ago, now the smokes. When a fight starts in a bar, the bouncers tell them to take it outside. In the seventies, you could have sex in some bars. THOSE were the days. Of course, if you're a musician, playing in a larger venue, which I often do, you get 'back-stage', where there is ALL kinds of hanky panky going on. Ah yes, the booze is there, the ash trays are usually there, the girls are always there, and most other 'nasties' of the world of music.

I guess I'm just too damn old. I will continue to drink, chase women, swear alot, and YES, smoke, till I can't no more.

Long Live the Blues !!
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:50 am

Why do people not complain about second hand "spleef" smoke?
texas blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:55 am

Mellowed out folks don't complain. :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:08 am

601blues wrote::shock: Well lets really look at the problem, That is Nicotine addiction, not the smoke, you can satisfi you nico,craving without smoke!!there is nico gum, there is a nico mint called stonewall, so you can get your nico without all that harmful smoke !!

:roll: just because I don't NEED it, doesn't mean I don't want to enjoy it... nobody NEEDS beer, lobster, tv, music, wine, motorcycles, T-bone steaks, Cola, hamburgers, $€X, money, movies, telephone, computers - we can all live without, people proved that for hundreds of years, but I for one am not ready to give up on all of those, and neither do I want to give up smoking. I'll stop smoking at the same time I stop craving $€X, food, music, a drink... the minute I stop breathing.
As far as not bothering others: I smoke outside unless there is a smokers' room, so the only one bothered is ME - and maybe my wife and boss, when I'm in bed again because I caught another cold :roll:

601blues wrote:So a smoker should really consider an alternitive way of getting ther nico with out smoke, That is just the dilivery system to your body, Its the carbon monoxide and all the other crap in smoke that is a killer !!

sure, too bad you can get those from factories and cars too... OUTLAW them!! it's no problem really, if nobody has a job anymore, nobody has the money to buy a car, or gas, and they wouldn't need them, cause there's no money to go anywhere anyway :?

now MY health problem is that all the nagging about my smoking is getting on my nerves, which leads to high blood pressure, which may eventually cause health issues. Any lawyer ready to sue society for making me ill? :wink:

motto for the year 2007
"I smoke, you nag - I'll quit if you do" 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:00 pm

motto for the year 2007
"I smoke, you nag - I'll quit if you do" 8)[/quote]

Best line I ever saw in print:

"I'll give up alcohol if my wife gives up celibacy."
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:08 pm

PG County's ban (started in 2006) hasn't hurt my favorite local venue:

http://www.chickhallssurfclub.com/

This place used to be so smokey, it seemed like you HAD to smoke if you were inside. A lot of DC and Baltimore Blues Society people avoided it before the new law. After the ban more people started showing up.

DC's new law went into effect Jan. 2. It was nice to have lunch at my favorite Irish pub this week and not have my meal ruined by smokers sitting next to me.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:36 pm

dcblues wrote:PG County's ban (started in 2006) hasn't hurt my favorite local venue:

http://www.chickhallssurfclub.com/

This place used to be so smokey, it seemed like you HAD to smoke if you were inside. A lot of DC and Baltimore Blues Society people avoided it before the new law. After the ban more people started showing up.

DC's new law went into effect Jan. 2. It was nice to have lunch at my favorite Irish pub this week and not have my meal

smoked salmon? :wink:

dcblues wrote:ruined by smokers sitting next to me.
jaybee
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:49 pm

I have no objection to smoking bans (I only occasionally smoke cigars),but I do object to people bitching about smoking when they're in bars that allow smoking. My opinion is, if you don't like it, don't go in the place.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs