Big gig this weekend!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Big gig this weekend!

Postby dcblues » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:22 pm

Tomorrow I'm playing a show I've been looking forward to for several months. We're headlining a DC Blues Society benefit show at my favorite local club (one that's very close to home with a great stage, dance floor and professional sound system). This is the first time we'll be playing all night for a blues society crowd (our last gig the society sponsored was at an outdoor festival and we played a 25 minute set). We're doing a lot of new material, including some instrumentals with a lot of harp and originals we haven't done live yet.

The show is an all day event. The society is doing a fish fry (they'll have someone outside frying fish and selling sandwiches and dinners) and blues jam during the afternoon. We start around 8:30 and finish after midnight. These shows have always been a success for the club and the society. I expect a big crowd, including lots of friends who haven't seen me with this band. The society has been passing out these flyers:

http://www.dcblues.org/pdf/fish-stallings.pdf

We were supposed to open for Denise LaSalle tomorrow afternoon, but that got postponed. I was looking forward to that, but now I can hang out at the afternoon event some before the big show.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:31 pm

Congrats DC - sounds like a fun gig. Have a great time.
nizer
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:06 pm

That should be fun DCB! I gotta admit that I'd be a little nervous in front of that particular crowd. I don't know that it would lock my knees up, but I'd definitely wanna look good.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:43 pm

Sounds like fun Steve, have a great show!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Yeah, I hope y'all have a ball!
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:05 pm

So how'd it go?
nizer
Regular

Postby dcblues » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:18 pm

It was good, but it could have been better. The crowd was fairly light. I expected a lot more blues society people to show up and support the society. I stopped by during the day and hardly anyone showed up for the jam. There was no admission for that, so I don't think the cover charge kept people away. Maybe everyone went to the beach.

A bunch of my friends showed up, and none of them had seen me play with this band before. They had a good time and enjoyed the show.

This weekend we're playing Artscape (a big street festival in Baltimore) on the main stage. We'll definitely have a good crowd there.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs