lori lu on drums

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

lori lu on drums

Postby watertore » Wed May 17, 2006 10:57 pm

Lori Lu came by our last house party, and played drums on one. Unfortunately, the computer had some problems with most of the last set. I recorded this session with 6 tracks. For some reason they all got out of sync. I was messing with it today, and found if I just used the vocal and guitar tracks, it played pretty much in sync. Here she is. Look for the song- Lori Lu On Drums. It is a little ways down, with the rest of the session. Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=157137
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed May 17, 2006 11:09 pm

Yeah, now that's some great stuff!
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed May 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Hey, Walter. It was definitely an honor to have had a chance to meet you and to have played with you. I was a little nervous and so didn't get to really hear this song you wrote until today. Thanks Walter. I am not used to being so out there like this. I guess I gotta get over it.
lorilu
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Thu May 18, 2006 12:03 am

Sure sounds like a winner to me. Love the guitar tone got that 50's kinda vibe to it. Drumming kicks tail too LoriLu, good rhythm, fills at the right time and not overdone. Its been my experience with most drummers that they think their the soloist and try to get in a drum solo on every tune. Lorilu is sitting in the pocket on top of the groove and driving the song.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby warren » Thu May 18, 2006 12:19 am

nice sound folks...lorilu...your drumming was spot on as far as i could tell...nice guitar work there too walter.

ww
warren
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu May 18, 2006 1:24 am

Good shootin' you guys! LoriLu: it wuz good to hear your playin'. You sounded great,not like a rock drummer tryin' to play blues. Walter: you do good stuff,and your recordings are so goo-o-d. Life is great!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Thu May 18, 2006 2:41 am

I am glad everyone got to hear Lori. It is always good to hear the music that is discussed on forums. She is solid on the drums. Katherine, my drummer, is not open to others playing on her kit. I asked her as a favor to let Lori. She agreed, and once she heard her, she was clapping and yelling, go girl go. She didn't push the beat, which is a rare thing.

I wish I could have captured it on all 6 tracks. I had 2 overhead mics on the drums, but they were all wacked out with the computer glitch.

Lori: people enjoy hearing the music of people they connect with on these forums. I'm not sure how to call my songs sometimes. I don't write songs. I make them up as I go along. everyone is nervous when they get in the situation you were in. You are listening to the music all night, and then you get called up on the last one. It is like pinch hitting in baseball game. This is the way the old bluesmen broke me in. It builds character. Today, the jams are so darn democratic, I have trouble relating to them. Some guy that can barely play, now feels fine going up to a seasoned group, and gets right up. That would never happen 30 years ago, unless you had a pound of cocaine on you. In my day, you sat, sometimes for a year or more, all night long, waiting to be called up to play. You would get so excited, and then nothing. It pissed me off at the time, but in the long run, it made me a way better player. Man, I remember when I finally got called up, I was shaking so much, I could hardly breathe! That is old school.

bubba: thanks for the comment on the recording quality. This song was really not very good quality to my ears, due to only using the vocal and guitar amp mics.

thanks to the rest for the nice comment on the guitar. Belive it or not, I was singing without a PA. We played quiet, thanks to a THD Hotplate on my deluxe reverb. That is a bone stock, MIK Tokai, copy of a 335. I love this guitar. My 63 jazzmaster is gathering dust.
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Thu May 18, 2006 5:57 am

Great job LL !!!!

It took me 5 minutes to find the tune but, I finally got to hear it.
grady
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu May 18, 2006 12:07 pm

:shock: Wow!! Guys good stuff, Lori dats what iam talkin bout!! Myself I key on da drummer,when I do leads and stuf Iam lookin for the drummer to show me da way out, Thats why its so important for you ta keep da groove no matter what else is goin on!! But what I hear, your there!!
Last edited by 601blues on Thu May 18, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
601blues
Regular

Postby nizer » Thu May 18, 2006 6:04 pm

good stuff - great to hear the two of you together. Pretty funky shuffle there LL. Walter, the good thing about playing with female drummers is you can still advertise yourself as a one man band!
nizer
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu May 18, 2006 7:51 pm

Way cool..... Its amazing what happens on that long and winding road. Isn't it? Sounds great...!!!!

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby fat paul » Fri May 19, 2006 1:57 am

Nuttin cooler than that.
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri May 19, 2006 5:07 am

Thank you so much. I was not expecting to be out here like this - Walter caught me off guard. It's actually kind of a breakthrough cause I can't hide any more. Nizer, you funny. Been taking Allan Lummox's advice about getting back into the rudiments (like scales for other instruments). I do warmups but decided to really work on the ratamacues and drags, flams and rolls. These things when handled right just add a little somethin special and interesting. I'm trying to build more strength and flexiblility to be able to do some of the things I like that are fast and difficult. There is always something to work on. I totally understand that, 601, the players need to have something to lean on that's solid and will always be there. It is sometimes hard when everyone is going different places like in a jam. But I think Tommy, you summed it up perfectly. You really have to lead and take control of the time and don't let go. Sometimes you are thinking of so many things at once, the dynamics and meaning of the song, where it is going from here, are the people dancing, are the players moved by the rhythm to take off on their solos, are the vocals being supported and not overpowered and on and on.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bluesrules » Fri May 26, 2006 7:38 pm

Sounding good lorilu! Good for you for working on your rudiments. I've been playing drums for something like 48 years now (Yikes!) and I still work on my rudiments every day. One thing I do additionally is almost always practice to a click track. For 2 reasons. 1.) It really helps with your time. 2.) You never know, as a working musician, when you'll be asked to use one. So if you do have to use a click track in a studio or otherwise it will be second nature.
bluesrules
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri May 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Thanks, Bluesrules. 48 years! I would love any further advice from you. We don't have too many drummers here at least that will admit to it. (You know all the jokes) You are so right about the click track. I did have the opportunity to record in a studio and sure enough was shocked to find how off time I was without the click. It took a minute to adjust but once I used it - perfect timing! People don't realize sometimes how they think their timing is perfect and it really is not. I do use a metronome with most of my rudiment, warmups and some of the drumset exercises. I try to incorporate it more and more. I am really enjoying the rudiments like ratamacues and double and triple ratamacues, drags and the like, now that my singles, doubles and triples flow more easily. I kinda skipped over those for awhile. It sure can add some interesting ghosting for flavor. Unfortunately, I do not play in a band at this time or get out to play with others too much and that is kinda taking a toll on my playing. But it seems the best I can do at this time in my situation. I just remind myself that the time will come and it's gonna be good!
lorilu
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs