Best Tactic In Dealing With A Hesitant Promoter/Venue

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Best Tactic In Dealing With A Hesitant Promoter/Venue

Postby tobywalker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Folks,

I thought this would make an interesting topic given the fact that there are members out there that may have trouble getting gigs.

I'm sure we've all gone through this scenario: You've sent off your press kit, followed up with an email and phone call and still nothing has come of it. What do you do at this point?

Before I had an agent there were a few things that I used to do in dealing with this situation.

1. First off, I made sure that my act (I'm a solo performer) was appropriate for the venue. Do they hire solo acts? Is my genre something that would interest them? etc. Your act may not fit the criteria they are looking for so it may be best to let that one go.

2. If that passed my second step was to make sure that the press kit was delivered to the proper person in the first place. Sometimes you simply may have sent it off to the wrong party. Or it may not have been delivered at all. Perhaps there is someone new doing the booking these days. Have you updated your files?

3. Next I would let the venue know if I were performing anywhere in the immediate area... and I would also let them know that I would put them on the guest list. Perhaps the reason you haven't been hired is simply because they need to see acts in a live setting. Give them that chance. The other thing that is good about this is that it lets the venue know that you're out there working and promoting your gigs.

4. Speaking of promotion... you not only have to be the one that does this but you also have to let people know that you are serious about promoting your shows. I could go on and on about how to promote your show... that's another topic in it's own right... but you get the idea. If a venue knows you're serious about promoting your shows then they know you're serious about your business.

5. Keep a diary of how often and when you've been in touch with them. Make sure you don't overdo it by sending them too many messages in a short period of time. Furthermore, include them on your Priority mailing list - meaning that you don't have to let them know of every single gig you're doing... just the nearby ones and of course any important news that happens to you. Have you won an award? Made an important list? Had a lot of airplay? Had an article written about you? Let the ones on your Priority Mailing List know this.

Sometimes of course none of this works... and that's just the way it may be. But, more times than not if you've got a good act and let people know it you will get results. Spread the positive news about yourself, let others know you're serious about your business and good things will come.

Good Luck.
tobywalker
Regular

Return to About Gigs