Playin' in a Cave

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Playin' in a Cave

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:13 pm

We played a film festival reception in one of those delightful caves yesterday (you old timers remember playin' in quonset hut bars in the 60's?); it was an art museum rotunda, with 20 foot ceilings and big wings leading off of it in every direction, with about 100 people schmoozing at warp 9. The sound was about like hooking tin cans together with a string. We struggled through it. The afterparty at a different venue was a way better deal, thankfully (other than settin' up & tearin' down twice after 5PM.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Playin' in a Cave

Postby stumblin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 am

Actually, that sounds pretty cool, apart from the settin' up an' tearin' down.
I'm often disappointed when venues aren't like a set from a 1960s B movie.
stumblin
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 pm

stumblin wrote:Actually, that sounds pretty cool, apart from the settin' up an' tearin' down.
I'm often disappointed when venues aren't like a set from a 1960s B movie.
Yeah, everything was pretty cool except the music struggles. I had never been in the museum before (It's only a couple of years old) and was very surprised at the level of their art collection.. and the range of it. The attendees would've been very fun to converse with, but we had no time for it (I did talk to an old girlfriend from about 35 years ago; she's way better looking now.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:30 pm

jeffl wrote:(I did talk to an old girlfriend from about 35 years ago; she's way better looking now.)

I need glasses these days too :mrgreen:

There was a jam last year at a place called The Public, an arty middle class place inflicted upon the working class populace of West Bromwich, and yup, the sound was bleeding awful. There were pipes and girders and lots of pink paint and endless looking corridors. It looked like a plant for distilling homosexuals.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs