12-Strings ??

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

12-Strings ??

Postby grady » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:17 am

Any of you guys own a 12-String Acoustic ??
I recently purchased a Washburn Cumberland Jumbo 12-String and I've been playing the heck out of it.
Maybe it's just the whole "change of pace" thing but, I'm really enjoying this guitar.
grady
Regular

Re: 12-Strings ??

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:58 am

I used to think they were really cool, but IMO, the novelty wears off really quick. They are fun to play once in a while and they're really cool to throw into a recording once and a while. Nonetheless, enjoy it! Show us a pic!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 am

I can understand that. That's how I feel about Reso's.
I'll be purchasing at least 1 new guitar in the next week or so, maybe 2, I don't know for sure. Anyhow, I'll post pics of them all when I get finished purchasing them.
I'm kind of jonesing for a Ovation Acoustic 12-String and either a Ovation 6-string or an Ibanez Montage.
grady
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:22 am

I've been curious about how a Rainsong jumbo 12 compares volume wise to a reso...but they are spendy enough that I may just have to stay curious.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:40 pm

I've got an old Kingston that had a neck repair. It has a floating bridge and I hate it right now. I might just glue a damn bridge on it. It was a gift from my father-in-law.

I like it for slide. I don't want to tune it up to anything higher than Open D as I am afraid the tension is going to break the neck again.

I had a Seagull S12 that I sold because I bought it with my ex-girlfriend. Too many memories with it. I played the hell out of it for a year and it was beat to shit. I kind of miss it but after the strings would deaden...I hated restringing the damn thing all the time.

I always wanted an electric 12.
bignick
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 pm

My wife told me a few minutes ago that I can buy as many 12-String guitars as I want. She loves the way they sound.

I've been wanting to do some Progressive Acoustic stuff complete with beats, sound effects and plenty of looping.
My near death experience left me with a feeling of urgency so, now is the time to do everything I ever wanted to do.
The Wife is on board with it so, there's nothing holding me back.
grady
Regular

Postby unquashable » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:19 pm

I LOVE 12 strings! They are magnificent for accompanying singing. Also, even mundane chord strumming sounds groovy on a 12 string. Only real drag is that every time I strum a few chords on the 12 string some fool says "Cool, Supertramp!" even when what Im playing sounds nothing like "Give a Little Bit." I have reluctantly parted with my 12 string as part of a trade for a '71 Telecaster. I try not to miss it too much, as the Tele was really a score. Maybe one day I'll find another 12 string...
unquashable
Regular

Postby michaelm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:35 pm

grady wrote:... I'm kind of jonesing for a Ovation Acoustic 12-String ...

Elderly's got a nice looking used one for sale right now: http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/26U-1842.htm

Good luck with what you get. Enjoy.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Elderly Instruments other than being a satisfied customer. :-)
michaelm
Regular

Postby birddog » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:54 pm

grady wrote:I can understand that. That's how I feel about Reso's.
I'll be purchasing at least 1 new guitar in the next week or so, maybe 2, I don't know for sure. Anyhow, I'll post pics of them all when I get finished purchasing them.
I'm kind of jonesing for a Ovation Acoustic 12-String and either a Ovation 6-string or an Ibanez Montage.

Good for you Grady, go for it man.
Guys either love Ovations or hate them, If I was gonna get a 12 it would probably be an Ovation besides Ana Popovic plays one and plays a pretty mean slide on it too. Check out the Ovation Fan Club forums, guys over there are super and you can probably find one over there.
I'm starting to look for another one, a 6774LX but they want to much money for them right now new. Ovation necks are the best playing acoustic necks period.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:36 pm

bignick wrote:I always wanted an electric 12.

While I don't really care for 12 strings too much, I must admit that this is pretty damn sexy. :D

leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri May 01, 2009 3:28 am

Jimmy Page played the guitar part of Zep's When The Levee Breaks on a Fender 12-string in Open G. It was slowed down on the recording to about the key of F "to thicken up the tone."
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Sat May 02, 2009 5:39 am

Here's a new pic,

Left to right
Lying down,
Valley Arts Custom Tele, 1996 Fender USA Strat
Standing,
Ibanez AFS 85, Ibanez Montage 650, Washburn Cumberland Jumbo 12-String,
Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul Special VOS

Still hoping to bring home a Ovation 12-String very soon.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat May 02, 2009 7:27 am

Nice little collection. I love that les paul. it's so nice looking. id liove to play it.

sorry if my tpying is messed up. im a bit under the influence at the moment.! :lol:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Sat May 02, 2009 6:11 pm

Thanks Lefty,

I love that Les Paul. It's such a great guitar. Sometimes, I'll be in the middle of a song and I find myself thinking "Man, I am so lucky to have this guitar."
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat May 02, 2009 11:29 pm

I'd like to get one left handed one day down the road. I actually think my dream Gibson is a left handed LP Jr. double cut. One P90 in the bridge, wraparound tailpiece, one volume, one tone. Simple and godly sounding.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues