Peavey Classic 50--212

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Peavey Classic 50--212

Postby JLHooker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:26 pm

I just got a peavey classic 50- 212.Its used and in good shape.I like it a lot.Has anyone who has one had any problems with it?How do you rate them ?
I was "saving" for a fender twin reverb reissue but since fender went up $400 on the price,I decided that I don't need one.This one came by so I grabbed it.
Thanks
JLHooker
JLHooker
Regular

Re: Peavey Classic 50--212

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 pm

I've got one. I love it. Absolutely love it. The only problem I ever had was a terrible squeal if the amp was on more than 5 minutes. I found out it was just a couple bad tubes. Apart from that, the amp has never given me problems. It's the amp I take with me to my weekly jams.

It may be heavy, but it's worth lugging it around to hear that amazing tone it has when turned up. I know 601 has a couple and he loves his as well.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:17 pm

I have been working with my classic 50 and trying to figure out how to get a good blues sound.What are the settings that you use just for blues? How do you use the presence control?
Thanks
JLHooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:09 pm

The problem with getting a good blues sound is that the amp is so damn powerful that you really have to turn it up LOUD to get that good overdriven guitar tone. It provides amazing tones at high volumes. To get a good blues tone I run my Tube Screamer into it. The second channel can get some gnarly guitar tones, but if you mess around with the gain you can a pretty mild distorted tone. It takes some time to get it where you like it.

The presence knob just makes the amp brighter sounding the higher it goes.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks, I have been trying to figure out how to use the presence control.I don't use much distortion.I play a lot of BB King style stuff.I guess that I'l have to fool with it to get the sound I like.I also have a peavey Delta Blues 210 that I really like.
Thanks again
JLH
JLHooker
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:53 pm

On my amp, the changes on the presence knob is more noticeable at higher volumes. At low volumes I can move it around and barely tell a difference between 1 and 12.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:30 pm

on multiple channel amps, I use the "lead channel" = the one with both "gain" - "master volume" I found I can get a good sound without deafening volume if I turn "master volume" all the way up, then use the "gain" to control the volume. Usually the amp will growl a little bit when you dig in hard (depending on the guitar), any more overdrive will have to come from your favorite pedal 8)

my fav pedals: BOSS SD-1(I have 2) / VoodooLab Sparkle Drive / TS808

I usually use 2: an SD-1 and whatever other I have in my hands first... set one for light overdrive, the other for more gain - the combination = instant Santana
jaybee
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues