Home-made Hard-shell Guitar case

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Home-made Hard-shell Guitar case

Postby LesFromChicago » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Any one here ever made one?
I want to make hard-shell cases for 2 or 3 of my guitars.
I have 3 guitars that really should be in protective cases, but I have only one guitar case and it is rather thin cardboard, protects against scratches maybe but certainly not against cracks or worse.
My general idea is to make a case using bent luan plywood and epoxy resin.
I don't know what material to use for cushioning inside.
Any advice or experiences or general comments to share? (other than "just go buy one")
LesFromChicago
Regular

Re: Home-made Hard-shell Guitar case

Postby rockonpapa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:23 pm

I have not built one but here is something I found:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video ... ar-199523/

and

http://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_ ... itar_Case/

Hope you show us the results.
rockonpapa
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:32 pm

Oh thanks, Rockonpapa!

These are for electric more or less solid body guitars, but I looked and saw that I can get some good ideas from both of them!
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Man, a big enough sheet of decent plywood from Home Depot runs about $25. Then you've got to buy the handle, hinges and clasps (at least $10), find some sort of padding and cloth covering for the interior (I'm guessing at least $10), and maybe get something to cover the exterior with ($??). At this point, you're at approximately $45 and you've still got to spend hours and hours putting it all together. For that, you can find a decent enough used hardshell case and be done with it.

I love the idea of a handmade case, but I don't have the tools, the time, or the know how to put something like that together. If you come up with a great, inexpensive, and relatively easy to put together solution, post it here.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Sheb Whitebred wrote:Man, a big enough sheet of decent plywood from Home Depot runs about $25. Then you've got to buy the handle, hinges and clasps (at least $10), find some sort of padding and cloth covering for the interior (I'm guessing at least $10), and maybe get something to cover the exterior with ($??). At this point, you're at approximately $45 and you've still got to spend hours and hours putting it all together. For that, you can find a decent enough used hardshell case and be done with it.

I love the idea of a handmade case, but I don't have the tools, the time, or the know how to put something like that together. If you come up with a great, inexpensive, and relatively easy to put together solution, post it here.

I think I'll probably go out and price some cases before I commit to doing this project. I do like to make things butit is hard to make time for it and you are right, somethimes the costs of homemade stuff just keeps on growing as the project goes on. But I do want a really crush and dent resistant case that will fit the guitar well.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:03 pm

There are very decent Chinese cases that you can get, shipped, for close to what the materials above would probably cost you.
ricochet
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:47 pm

I have several of the MF hardcases and they are decent quality for 49 bucks- they often have free shipping deals
goldbrick
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:16 pm

goldbrick wrote:I have several of the MF hardcases and they are decent quality for 49 bucks- they often have free shipping deals

Thanks... but what does MF mean (no crude joke :wink: )
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Musician's Friend.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:20 am

I've got one of those $49 MF cases, with the $140 Rogue Spider reso. It's a sturdy, good looking, good quality case.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues