Porch Boards

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Porch Boards

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am

I've posted this subject before, but now I'm getting ready to attempt building my own. Thanks to Grady for pointing me in the right direction for the gear I need for home recording, but the mixer has enough channels to be able to add porch board to round out my sound ! So,, to cut to the chase, I'm hoping that some members of the forum have some thoughts on a "home made" porch board, however, my main issue is what type of mic should I consider using, with the understanding that it will running into the mixer. I've been told that any number of mics are workable, but I'm trying to keep this project on the
cost efficient side,but still end up with a piece of gear that will do the job.

So, for those of you that are more intelligent that i am, I would really appreciate some feed back.

Thanks in advance!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Porch Boards

Postby allanlummox » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:12 am

For my live shoutcasts, I'm using a Hansenfutz pedal and a Cowbell, deadened with duct tape.

allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deltablues57 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 pm

I use a porch board. Great device. Before I found the porch board I used a wooden box with foam and a Mic laying inside. It works just fine. I used an SM57 inside a box for 3 bottles of wine (gift set). I have also used a cigar box. Go to a cigar store. They always have empty boxes. Get a good sized sturdy box. Get some packing foam or even a towel will do. I would most likely buy a cheap bass drum mic (e-bay). You can experiment with different boxes and different packing to get different tones from your stomp box...Delta
deltablues57
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks for the feed back guys!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:58 pm

I posted under Silly Toy about 3 index pages ago with a pickup stomp box, and there's Jakey's Jakeybox as a thread too. Mics are fine, but fragile, and how good a sound do you want out of a thing your're basically making a stamping/drum sound with?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MakaInOz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:39 am

I found one of these Contact Microphones for sale:

"As the name suggests, a contact microphone works by being in direct contact with a sound source. Generally, the microphone is affixed (w/ electrical tape, blu-tac etc..) to a vibrating surface (guitar soundboard, piano, violin, cymbal, clarinet, harmonica, floor, throat etc... They can be attached to anything that carries sound waves). These contact microphones are terminated with female 1/4" (6.5mm) jack sockets and can be plugged directly into an amplifier, mixing desk, recording device, or sound module using a normal guitar lead. They are totally passive microphones, so they don't require any power to run."

Anybody used one for a stompbox?
MakaInOz
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues