UAS (Uke acquisiton syndrome)

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

UAS (Uke acquisiton syndrome)

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:20 am

I was browsing ebay last night and came across a nice old Harmony Uke for sale. It was for sale here in Phoenix so I bid and won the auction. Pretty good sounding little uke. Way better than the crappy Lanikai I used to have. Now I just have to re learn the fretboard. It's been months since I've played Uke.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

Pictures were taken with my newly acquired Nikon DSLR. The pic of the full uke is kind of crappy but I'm still learning how to use this camera.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: UAS (Uke acquisiton syndrome)

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Cool!
ricochet
Regular

Postby kwill » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:21 pm

I enjoy playing the uke and find it a good mental exercise. Since it's tuned a fourth above the guitar it's an exercise in rapid mental transposing. Tuned a fourth above if you want to play a C on the uke the fingering is the same as a G on the guitar (without the two bass strings). Playing a G is the fingering for a guitar D chord. At first it's a bit frustrating but after a while it really is a fun mental exercise, especially when chords switch fast. Enjoy your uke lefty.
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:08 pm

kwill wrote:I enjoy playing the uke and find it a good mental exercise. Since it's tuned a fourth above the guitar it's an exercise in rapid mental transposing. Tuned a fourth above if you want to play a C on the uke the fingering is the same as a G on the guitar (without the two bass strings). Playing a G is the fingering for a guitar D chord. At first it's a bit frustrating but after a while it really is a fun mental exercise, especially when chords switch fast. Enjoy your uke lefty.

I wish I could think of it that way. It might make it easier to play. But since the strings are out of order (in size), I just play it strung up right handed. I need to dig up my old Uke chord book and start working on it again.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:05 am

Those mahogany Harmony ukes are actually quite good. Nice find, Lefty!
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:56 am

leftyguitarman wrote:
kwill wrote:I enjoy playing the uke and find it a good mental exercise. Since it's tuned a fourth above the guitar it's an exercise in rapid mental transposing. Tuned a fourth above if you want to play a C on the uke the fingering is the same as a G on the guitar (without the two bass strings). Playing a G is the fingering for a guitar D chord. At first it's a bit frustrating but after a while it really is a fun mental exercise, especially when chords switch fast. Enjoy your uke lefty.

I wish I could think of it that way. It might make it easier to play. But since the strings are out of order (in size), I just play it strung up right handed. I need to dig up my old Uke chord book and start working on it again.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's true. They're just "out of order" because what would be the lowest string is up an octave. Kinda like standard banjo tuning is 5-string Open G, but with the low G octaved up twice.

Lots of steel guitar tunings have strings out of order in pitch.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:25 am

That's pretty interesting stuff to think about.

I really like this little uke. I paid about $20 less than the Lanikai I used to have and it's about 100 times better. It has a small crack on the back which I'll probably have to fix soon, but it sounds phenomenal. The strings are finally staying in tune. Those nylon strings take days to stretch out. I found my old uke chord book so I'm re-learning a lot of the chords. I wrote a neat little chord progression on it that I think sounds pretty good. So far, I really like it and I look forward to really learning how to play it well!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues