Modifying Vintage Gear - wisdom or folly?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Modifying Vintage Gear - wisdom or folly?

Postby LesFromChicago » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 pm

titaniumslide wrote:Les,
Get one of those straps that Willie Nelson uses. You won't be drilling holes.

What kind does he use? Does it clamp to the heel of the neck or something like that? I've seen in passing him on TV once or twice but never paid much attention.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Put the strap button on. Although your guitar is nice it is NOT a real collectable. A $1K guitar is an instrument to be played and enjoyed. If you had an old Martin or Gibson worth $ 50K it might be an issue.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby titaniumslide » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Les,
The strap is a simple enough, it has a u shaped clip that clips into the bottom edge of the sound hole. The strap then goes down and under the waist of the guitar and up the back side of the guitar to a large loop that goes over your head and it all rests around your neck. He has a classical guitar so it would have better balance (less neck drop) than a steel stringed model.
Scott
titaniumslide
Regular

Postby titaniumslide » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Les here's a picture
ww1-225x300.jpg
ww1-225x300.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
titaniumslide
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:50 pm

deltablues57 wrote:Put the strap button on. Although your guitar is nice it is NOT a real collectable. A $1K guitar is an instrument to be played and enjoyed. If you had an old Martin or Gibson worth $ 50K it might be an issue.

I agree, not only that, I got that "over $1000" from a web site 4 or 5 years ago saying the guiatr was worht $1200 ro $1500, BUT it has a lot of checks in the varnish and could really use some fret work, one of the frets near the neck has a nick in it that sometimes catches on the string when I bend the string, so it might actually fetch far less than $1000 anyway. But whether it is a $1000 or $1 item, it will likely outlast me and I certainly intend to use it to the max in the meantime :wink:
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:57 pm

titaniumslide wrote:Les,
The strap is a simple enough, it has a u shaped clip that clips into the bottom edge of the sound hole. The strap then goes down and under the waist of the guitar and up the back side of the guitar to a large loop that goes over your head and it all rests around your neck. He has a classical guitar so it would have better balance (less neck drop) than a steel stringed model.
Scott

Thanks Scott, You had made me curious enough to Google "Willie Nelson's guitar strap" and read a similar description. Seems like that arrangement needs an arm in front to hold up the guitar, I mean if W.N. were to take away both hands and arms from touching the guitar, it would flip forward and possibly fall off the sound hole hook.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 pm

Hey, Les
I checked out your Black River blues cut. Nice. The guitar has a really primitive (in a good way) sound. Is this Harptone the guitar you used on that?
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Sheb Whitebred wrote:Hey, Les
I checked out your Black River blues cut. Nice. The guitar has a really primitive (in a good way) sound. Is this Harptone the guitar you used on that?

Sheb, Thank you kind sir. Yes that is the guitar on that one.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby rockonpapa » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:44 pm

I did what was on the "Trade Secrets" Position 3
and agree with what is said:
"I like position #3 on the guitar’s side near the neck heel, because the guitar hangs comfortably, balances well, and doesn’t fall forward. And the strap’s out of the way of your fretting hand. If the neck block is wide enough, all you do is drill a hole and screw on the button. I install it centered on the side, about 5/8" out from the heel."

Be sure to use a glued block to screw into.
rockonpapa
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues