High humidity

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

High humidity

Postby Ozzie Blues » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 am

Hi, Does high humidity have a detrimental effect on solid body electrics ? cheers!
Ozzie Blues
Regular

Re: High humidity

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:51 pm

I don't think so in usual indoor situations. I suppose if it were constantly "sweating" in oversaturated air like a steamy shower you'd get corrosion problems and possibly finish peeling.
ricochet
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm in Miami and haven't noticed a problem--I think changes are worse than the constant condition
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:04 pm

right you are goldbrick-

a couple of summers ago my wife and i had a gig on a floating restaurant off downtown here. we arrived and set up, time was pretty tight, so she tuned her danelectro electric and we jumped off into the first set. halfway through we both knew the guitar was out of tune and she tuned again. by the end of the set it was way out and on break neither of us could get it back in tune! circumstances came up that got us full pay for the night for just the one set and we went home. next morning the guitar tuned up with its usual ease.
this place was more or less open to the river on one side. it was built on a big barge. they used swamper fans for cooling the place, which drip a small stream of water into the air flow for condensation cooling.
i found out later that if we'd let her guitar sit for an hour before trying to tune up and play, it would have probably worked out better. a guitar has to adjust to the situation where you're going to be playing. these days we always set her axe on a stand while we set up, it's the first thing we do when loading in.
jbone1
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Change of atmosphere affects my acoustic more than my Strat, but I do like to let them both settle if I go anywhere new. And the tone on the acoustic is richer when it's rained a lot.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues