Shipping a Guitar, Pt. II

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Shipping a Guitar, Pt. II

Postby grady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:24 pm

I just got back from shipping the Ibanez AF95 I sold on Ebay.

First, I was thinking about what everyone said about UPS being higher than the Post Office. So, I went to the Post Office to ship the guitar,.

They wanted $94.61 to ship a Hollowbody guitar with case from West Virginia to Texas !!!!
I told them, "Hell no. I've never paid that much to ship a guitar and I'm not starting now"

So, I went to the UPS Store.
It cost $45.00 to ship the guitar w/ Insurance.

That's what I charged the buyer for Shipping so, it worked out well.
grady
Regular

Re: Shipping a Guitar, Pt. II

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi Grady,
Have you ever shipped a guitar or similar sized package overseas?
I'm curious about the cost of doing that.
Well I'll soon find out what the post office would charge,
but I wonder are there alternatives for overseas.

congrats on selling your Ibanez, hope the deal was a blessing to you and the buyer, I reckon it was.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby rockonpapa » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:41 pm

I am surprised at the price.
When I sent my son's Carvin to Italy - Military base
that was last year and it was around $40.
I know that the physical size would change rate because of the box size. My shipment was insured and required a signature, etc. Of course there are many shipping priorities also.

I hope it arrives safely with UPS. There ia a HORROR story about a linited edition '57 Amp on the fender froum right now. Only 300 made..arrived in 3 pirces!
There are no replacements!

You never know, only can hope all will be well.
rockonpapa
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:54 pm

LesFromChicago wrote:Hi Grady,
Have you ever shipped a guitar or similar sized package overseas?
I'm curious about the cost of doing that.
Well I'll soon find out what the post office would charge,
but I wonder are there alternatives for overseas.

congrats on selling your Ibanez, hope the deal was a blessing to you and the buyer, I reckon it was.

Thanks Les,
I've shipped a few guitars overseas. I don't like to do it but sometimes, you have no choice. I've always used UPS and never had a problem (knock on wood)
grady
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:56 pm

rockonpapa wrote:I am surprised at the price.
When I sent my son's Carvin to Italy - Military base
that was last year and it was around $40.
I know that the physical size would change rate because of the box size. My shipment was insured and required a signature, etc. Of course there are many shipping priorities also.

I hope it arrives safely with UPS. There ia a HORROR story about a linited edition '57 Amp on the fender froum right now. Only 300 made..arrived in 3 pirces!
There are no replacements!

You never know, only can hope all will be well.

Shipping to a Military base anywhere in the World costs no more than shipping to another state in the US.
One of the few perks of being in the Military.
God Bless our Men & Women in the Military.

I've never had a problem with UPS.
grady
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 pm

Thanks Grady
I was surprised to learn UPS goes out of the USA.
but now I remember that plane wreck/stranded on an island/ movie about the basketball and another company like UPS, maybe it was FedEX
So after I get a quote from the USPS I'll drop one S and try UPS. maybe I'll try FedEx too.

The stress level on my shipment is rather low, because the guitar is already badly broken.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:00 am

That really surprises me! UPS charged me $10 to ship a guitar pickup from Phoenix to Virginia. My buddy shipped me a guitar pickup from Pullman, Washington to Phoenix and it cost him $2.49 from the post office. Same weight too.

My buddy bought an $850 Tacoma acoustic off ebay, and when he got it, the top had separated from the body. UPS packed the guitar and shipped it, and the seller paid for insurance. Took my buddy 3 months to get his money from UPS.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:40 pm

I never use USPS for anything larger than a guitar pedal. Guitars always go DHL or UPS for me.

My buddy worked at Fed Ex. He said that packages aren't treated for shit because employees are extremely overworked on the line. If you go faster they just give you more work. He also told me that Fragile just meant "slam the package harder" from what he witnessed. Fed Ex has always been extremely overpriced whenever I got a quote.

My best experience has been shipping DHL via a pack & ship establishment. Yeah, you pay like $7 extra for the service but they cut a box to fit perfectly and their policies cover the damage if it is in fact the fault of the packaging that the item was damaged. My pack and ship also knocks off 10% if it is an ebay transaction. Guitars usually only cost me $25-$30 unless I'm shipping WAYYY out west.

DHL will also usually beat UPS by a day or two also.
bignick
Regular

Postby birddog » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 pm

Nick, don't think you will use DHL anymore.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/c ... 975682.htm

Thought I remember hearing something about them going out of biz in the states.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:33 am

Thought I'd chime in on this topic.

First, the reason for the really low rate to ship to a military base is, I believe, because they give a lower rate for stuff going to U.S. bases. If you had sent it anywhere else in Italy, shipping would have been higher.

Second, I have to say that I've been pretty impressed with USPS of late. Stuff seems to get where it's going without incident. I shipped a classical guitar from Wisconsin to Norway a couple months ago - packaged to survive an atomic blast. The U.S. Postal Service charge was around $96. UPS was going to charge something like $188 and DHL was even higher.

In general, I've found DHL to be the best and I avoid FedEx as much as possible. Too many horror stories.

My only problem with UPS was really more the fault of the person shipping the guitar to me than it was the fault of UPS. The seller shipped a 1930's May Bell wrapped in a plastic bag which was then taped over with cardboard. That's right - cardboard was taped over the body of the guitar such that it looked like a form-fit guitar case made of cardboard. Obviously, the guitar had no chance of surviving. It arrived with huge cracks on the top, back and sides, as well as a neck heel separation. The seller refused any accountability for the pathetic packaging, and I had to resort to filing a complaint with Paypal. Although Paypal sided with me and my purchase price was refunded, I still had to pay return shipping to the seller, plus what she charged for her lame ass packing. Ended up losing $60.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:52 pm

If you're shipping internationally, ask if the recipient if they have a preference. USPS is always better than UPS or FedEx to Canada due to the exorbitant brokerage fees that the latter charge. Even if the difference was $50 up front (it's not usually that high in my experience as a buyer), it'll be made up crossing the border.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Blues