Black Eye Blues

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Black Eye Blues

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:The bone blank was $10, but it is wide enough for making two nuts.

Or a nut for an 8 or 10 string steel!
ricochet
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:49 pm

Oh, $10. Is it all right angles, that you must shape yourself, or is there a sloping top-to back?
I might keep just making my own from scratch is most of the work still has to be done. The slots are the easy part.
Attachments
NUT SIDE PROFILE.JPG
NUT SIDE PROFILE.JPG (2.28 KiB) Viewed 997 times
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:42 am

It's all 90 degree angles. I sanded a round edge on the headstock side so it isn't "crummy" as that picture calls it. It wasn't a lot of work, but it took a good hour to an hour and a half.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:41 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:It's all 90 degree angles. I sanded a round edge on the headstock side so it isn't "crummy" as that picture calls it. It wasn't a lot of work, but it took a good hour to an hour and a half.

You put a lot of work into it, but probably your $10 was well spent, as opposed to having to start from scratch with a randomly shaped and sized piece of bone or antler. Besides nuts, then, do you make your own bone saddles too?

After viewing your BRB profile, I find it very neat how the same hands are shaping a piece of bone and assembling electronic devices. Ancient and recent technologies on the same workbench, I love it.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:01 am

I've never made a bone saddle, but I can't imagine it being too hard. This was the first time I've ever made any part for a guitar or done any work on one other than a basic setup and restring.

As for assembling electronic devices, I love it. I love sitting down to build a computer and getting it to work. I just wish I could do it more often, but it's an expensive hobby. I actually just love assembling anything. I just got done replacing a tail light in my car and it required tearing the whole trunk apart, taking off the horrible arrangements of screws that hold the lights on, then popping in a new bulb and reassembling all of it. I hate doing anything with cars, but I enjoyed that. I like to do that kind of stuff. Always have. :mrgreen:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:30 am

Can you book a flight over here? I need a race bike building and I'm no bloody good at all at it :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 pm

I hate working with cars (and bikes). But buy me a ticket anyway and we'll jam. I've only ever been in England for a 4 hours.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues