Black Eye Blues

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Black Eye Blues

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:06 am

So I went to Sam Ash today to get a blank bone nut for my reso. I wanna raise the action a little and instead of spend $50 to have a professional do it at Sam Ash, I decided I'd do it myself. I took the truss rod cover off my reso, took the strings off, and put a screwdriver into the truss rod area to pry the nut off my reso. It had tons of super glue on it, so I had to work it really hard. Finally I put enough pressure on it to get it off and sure enough it comes flying off the guitar and hits me right in my eye. Now I've got a reso with a new nut, and a black eye. :lol: Guess I need to go write a song called "Black Eye Blues" with my new and improved reso.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Black Eye Blues

Postby texas blues » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:20 am

A nut in the eye is bad. Could have been worse...if it came off of someone's Johnson. Heal quickly young Jedi.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:53 am

Dude, you're not supposed to whack yourself in the eye with your nut. Try to refrain from that.
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 am

texas blues wrote:A nut in the eye is bad. Could have been worse...if it came off of someone's Johnson. Heal quickly young Jedi.

Cheers, TB.

LOL !!!
Next time, use the force to remove that nut young one. :D

Just don't tell anyone that isn't a guitarist that you got hit in the eye by a nut...LOL !!
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:55 am

At least you didn't get the black eye playing Guitar Hero.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:00 am

texas blues wrote:A nut in the eye is bad. Could have been worse...if it came off of someone's Johnson. Heal quickly young Jedi.

Cheers, TB.

The Johnson jokes will never quit. :lol: My eye hurts like a biotch currently, but the action is just right and playing slide on the reso is much, much easier.

ricochet wrote:Dude, you're not supposed to whack yourself in the eye with your nut. Try to refrain from that.

I'll try not to do it next time. 8)

grady wrote:Just don't tell anyone that isn't a guitarist that you got hit in the eye by a nut...LOL !!

I told my buddy the story and he was laughing so hard. He plays guitar so he knows what I'm talking about, but he was saying "I can't believe you busted a nut into your eye." :lol: :lol:

And I must say, the smell of burning bone is sickening. I sanded a bit of it down on an electric sander and my god that crap stinks. My hands reek of burnt bone and I've washed em several times.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:08 am

Next time wear a rubber
goldbrick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:32 am

goldbrick wrote:Next time wear a rubber

On my eye or on my nut?

Well, the action is just right on my reso. Now I can play slide without the slide bumping on every fret. Is it common to lose a little bit of volume if the action is raised? It seems a little quieter.

The nut look absolutely terrible up close, but none of the strings buzz in the nut and it's still intonated properly all the way up the neck, so I don't really care. One hour of work and 10 bucks for the blank is a lot better than spending $50 for the same result; just slightly better looking.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 am

leftyguitarman wrote:[
The nut look absolutely terrible up close,

You'll get better at working with nuts after you get some more practice.
What are you doing Friday night ??? LOL !!!!!! :D

Sorry. couldn't resist making another nut joke.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Yeah, well, you sold your Johnson.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bignick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Didn't someone start a thread about tinkering injuries at one point? If not, someone should.

I hurt myself all the time. Never took a nut in the eye though. :)

I solder myself and stab myself with guitar strings all the time. I put a screwdriver into my hand removing a nut once too. Solder burns seem to be my number one injury because I really need an aligator clip helping hands station.

Lefty, do you have a dremmel with a polishing wheel on it? I have a really fine sanding bit and a polishing bit. I always cut my nut higher than it should be and work down with it. The polishing wheel helps a lot.

Where I really suck is cutting the slots. I need to invest a little cash on some stew mac files.
bignick
Regular

Postby dcblues » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:28 pm

There's already a song called "Black Eye Blues."
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:53 pm

bignick wrote:Didn't someone start a thread about tinkering injuries at one point? If not, someone should.

I hurt myself all the time. Never took a nut in the eye though. :)

I solder myself and stab myself with guitar strings all the time. I put a screwdriver into my hand removing a nut once too. Solder burns seem to be my number one injury because I really need an aligator clip helping hands station.

I've soldered myself, stabbed myself with guitar strings, and I too put a screwdriver into my hand, but it was when I was using it to scrape shielding out of the inside of one of my Strats.

bignick wrote:Lefty, do you have a dremmel with a polishing wheel on it? I have a really fine sanding bit and a polishing bit. I always cut my nut higher than it should be and work down with it. The polishing wheel helps a lot.

Where I really suck is cutting the slots. I need to invest a little cash on some stew mac files.

I'm sure my stepdad has a Dremel somewhere. All I did was set the new nut next to the one on the guitar and drew a line so I knew where to cut it. I cut it with a little hacksaw that had a really thin blade. I took the old nut off and the strings off then put the new nut in and one new string so I could tell how high the action was. Then I sanded the new nut down and put it back on to see how high the action was. I did that about 5 times until I got it perfect.

As for cutting slots, I lined the old nut up with the new one and drew lines where the string slots need to be. I used the same hacksaw to cut the slots and I made the E, A, and D slots a little wider and a little deeper and there is no string buzz in the nut. I thought maybe I should get some nut files, but I figured I'd try it without them first. As I said before, the nut is ugly and you can tell that someone with no experience made it, but it helped my guitar to play a lot better and the intonation is still spot on so the looks really don't bother me. I'd take pictures, but I left my camera in Washington at my dad's house.

dcblues wrote:There's already a song called "Black Eye Blues."

Doesn't surprise me. Maybe I'll call it "Nut in the Eye Blues." :wha:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Never be in the same room with a stringed instrument without wearing eye protection, even if the strings HAVE been removed from the instrument.

curious...How much did the blank cost at Sam Ash? I've made guitar nuts from bone and antler, if the blanks don't cost too much it might be worthwhile to buy them making the yourself with hand tools is very time consuming and hard and I suppose hazardous too. (still got ten fingers though)
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:56 pm

The bone blank was $10, but it is wide enough for making two nuts.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues