Shipping a guitar?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Shipping a guitar?

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:00 am

I really need to get my Sheraton out of here because I really need the money. No one on craigslist wants it so I'm gonna try and put it on ebay. However, I don't have a case for it, so how would I go about shipping it? I figured I could go to Guitar Center and get some boxes, but how do you keep it from rattling around or getting damaged?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Shipping a guitar?

Postby grady » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:33 am

Take it to the UPS Store, they'll wrap the entire guitar in 3 layers of bubble wrap, put it in a special guitar box then, they'll stuff the box with styrofoam peanuts and it'll be snug as a bug in a rug.

Also, since they boxed it, you can insure it and if something happens to it, UPS can't say that it wasn't packaged properly.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 am

And they will also charge me a ridiculous sum of money to do it. UPS is outrageous. I suppose if the buyer is paying for it, then whatever, but I would still prefer not to charge massive amounts of money for shipping.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:51 am

Yeh but, if you package it yourself, ship it thru the Post Office and something happens to it, you're screwed.
You will have no money and no guitar.
The USPS will say that you packaged the guitar incorrectly and you'll be fucked.

There's a right way and a wrong way to ship a guitar.
Do it the right way and you'll have a pleasant outcome, do it the wrong way and you'll be screwed.

I don't know if you've ever dealt with the USPS when it comes to a damaged package but, you don't win. You won't break even.

I've shipped guitars all over the World and have always used UPS.
I charge the buyer for the shipping and have never had a problem.

The person buying the guitar is going to prefer to pay extra for the shipping just to insure safe delivery of their new instrument.
If the buyer wants to haggle with you over shipping, explain to them that you'll ship the guitar at the lowest price but, you won't be responsible for damage or lost package.
Then, if it's lost or damaged it's their fault because they're a dumbass.
grady
Regular

Postby rockonpapa » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:39 pm

A while back I shipped my son an 80's Carvin guitar that he had at the house. He was stationed in the Navy, in Italy. He had a soft case for the guitar. I made shure it was tight in the case with packing material, then put that in a cardboard guitar box with solid strafom on the ends and packed the middle/sides with "peanuts". Took it to the U.S. Post Office.

I insured it for the vintage value. They properly marked it and sent it. Within two week he had his guitar. NO damaged to the guitar or the shipping box.

I can't say the same for things I have received, shipped by UPS locally.

For me it is USPS all the way.
rockonpapa
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:01 pm

If I sell an item on ebay, ship it, and the buyer doesn't pay for insurance, then I don't have to refund them their money, correct?

I really don't want to use UPS, but I probably will if it's the safest thing to do. I've had some bad experiences with UPS so I try to avoid using them.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:40 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:If I sell an item on ebay, ship it, and the buyer doesn't pay for insurance, then I don't have to refund them their money, correct?

No, Ebay or PayPal will make you refund their money.
As a Seller on Ebay, you have no rights. They almost always rule in favor of the buyer.

for example, I sold 4 tickets to a MLB game that I won on my local radio station.
The guy wouldn't pay for them. Well, the day of the game passed, the guy still hadn't paid. I reported it to Ebay as per their guidelines, around 60 days later, Ebay decided to close the matter in favor of the buyer.

The best outcome you could hope for is that Ebay let's you refund half of their money.
and, that's ONLY if the buyer agrees to it.

I've been selling on Ebay for as many years as Ebay has been around. These are some of the things I've learned from experiences with them.

Never ship anything to a buyer without delivery confirmation. Make them sign for the item when it's delivered. Always insure the package whether the buyer pays for insurance or not.
You have to protect yourself.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Grady. I think I've done 15 or 16 ebay transactions, so I still have a lot to learn.

I'll probably end up listing the item in the next couple days and I'll make sure and note that it will be packed by UPS, hence the high shipping cost.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:34 pm

You're welcome Lefty.
I don't wanna see you or anybody else get screwed by Evil-Bay.
They suck.
grady
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:05 pm

In other words, "IN God We Trust!" "All others, negotiable monetary instruments and verification of receipt REQUIRED!"
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:46 pm

And remember that USPS Money Orders are the most widely counterfeited currency or financial instruments on Earth.

Last Christmas I waited a long time in line at the Post Office while the couple ahead of me told the clerk their tale of woe that the money order they'd taken for something on eBay turned out to be fake. All they got was sympathy. "There's lots of that out there. You have to be really careful. There's nothing we can do about it."
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:04 pm

So I went to the UPS store to check to see how much it would cost for them to package and ship the guitar. Since it has no case, it will cost $45.95 just to package it. Then to ship it to New York from Phoenix will be $72. It will be $63 to Michigan, and $45 to L.A.

I doubt anyone will bid on it if the shipping is that high and I sure as hell am not going to cut out $100 or more from my sale to ship it for free. Why does it cost so damn much to ship something? It makes no sense to me.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:31 am

It's probably because you don't have a case with it.
The last guitar I shipped, I had the case so, I went by local music store, got a Gibson guitar box with the packing material already in it and shipped UPS from West Virginia to Texas, $45.00.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:39 am

Well they said it would be $35 to package it if they had a case. The FedEx/Kinkos by my work said they would pack it for $20 and ship it to N.Y. for around $35-40.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Go find a bicycle box.

The guitars I've received from Japan are shipped only in gig bags. The guitar is wrapped in foam, then thin bubble wrap and stuffed in the gig bag, which is then covered in bubble wrap. The Fender, being new, came in a guitar box full of packing peanuts. The Greco was in a bicycle box full of Japanese newspaper (I would suspect any sort of newspaper will do).
rustyslide
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment Blues