Ho Ho Horseshit

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Ho Ho Horseshit

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:49 pm

I've got my annual New Year's Day Game Feed/Jam all day tomorrow and my one yr. old Yammy digital keyboard decided to fry itself this week. Wonderful. It ain't the power supply either; I tested it. I wuz gonna borrow a buddy's keyboard for the day and he emailed me to let me know he's got bronchitis and won't be there. Either I'll play harp all day, or I'll play the upright spinet piano in the place. I hate screwin' around with warranties though. I'm gonna try to get Yamaha to send me a new one...I shouldn't have to pay any labor on a one yr. old board... I don't care what the warranty says.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ho Ho Horseshit

Postby grady » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:40 pm

Here's hoping you get a satisfactory outcome. :D

Hang in there !!!
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out for you!

I hate having to deal with that kind of stuff too. I've built a lot of computers and I've had to deal with parts that have fried or were DOA and the warranty process is such a bitch. Hope all goes well.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:20 am

I bought a bass amp in 1972. An Acoustic 370 with a folded horn cabinet/18' speaker. It was the amp to have at that time. it had a lifetime warranty. I thought that was great until it developed a problem of going loud & then soft at any given moment. I took it to the store I bought it from & he said we'll just send it back for repair. Sounds like a good idea except I was going to have to pay the freight both ways. I live in NC & warranty work was done in California. It could take some time he said. I made a few calls & got a local repair guy to look at it, he kept it overnight. I called him the next day, oh it's fixed come pick it up. What's the bill? $20.00 will cover it. I was shocked. I used that amp for 16 years. It was a loose wire that was not totally connected. So much for warranty work. I now buy equipment that I can fix or know someone that can fix locally or warranty repair is by a local shop.
Bob
BobHolland
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:50 am

I have a music store, if customers come in with something that's developed a problem under warranty, I usually first ask "my" local tech to have a look & estimate, then contact the manufacturer - 9 times out of 10 they'll agree to have my tech do the repair and they just pay me what he charges...

if they don't want to do that, sometimes I just have my tech repair it anyway and pay for it myself - sending a 25 Kg powered mixer to the manufacturer is usually costing me a lot more than what I have to pay the tech... not to mention the fact that using the local tech is going to take a couple of days, sending it to the manufacturer at least a couple of weeks...

I have one synth that came in half November, customer had already contacted the manufacturer and insisted I send it there, he'd already talked to their tech etc etc - he could have gone to the post office just as easy as to my shop but he obviously didn't want to pay the €13 shipping himself... :roll: - he's still waiting... from what he told me, I figured some transistor went bad - cost if my tech fixes it: about €5, in today, out tomorrow, or the day after @ worse...
jaybee
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:11 pm

There is a pretty good keyboard tech within 10 miles of my house, but I don't know if he does it anymore 'cuz he owns two keyboard stores. I checked the warranty and it's a pretty typical warranty for a low-cost board: one year parts, 90 day labor. I'm under the one year for a week or two yet. I like the board; I'd probably buy the same board if was shoppin' again. It's the first time I've ever had a Yammy piece of gear fail on me. I've had my Yammy Clavinova for probably 10 years, and it's never hiccupped.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:20 pm

I called the guy, but talked to his wife. She said he'd fix it for me.. I jus' gotta find the receipt if he's gonna go thru Yamaha.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues