copy cat blues

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

copy cat blues

Postby mike932 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Awhile back someone posted a video of two blokes playing the blues , one on the harp, the other on a ukulele, I really liked their music. I reviewed the video numerous times and decided to give it a try. I bought a lanakai baritone ukulele, put special made strings which have some wire in them and installed a Dean Markley "putty on" pickup. Using a DGBE tuning I put on my plastic pima picks, grabbed a glass slide and proceeded to impress my girlfriend, her daughter , my son and myself. The Uke is just pure fun to play the blues on. When I was in the Army , my platoon Sergeant was Hawaiian and played a mean Uke, the dude even played some cool blue licks, so I knew it could be done. I am working on playing the harp at the same time, kind of a Island Bob Dylan thing. I have been learning the slide guitar for a couple of years now and enjoy playing , but I am not gig worthy yet. The uke is a novelty but is a lot of fun. I have a pos Squire 7 string I use to play slide on, another novelty and it also is a blast to goof off on. I tune it to either open G or E and use the bottom bass string for a thumper (tune it to the song key and strike it with my thumb). Life is too short to stay inside the box.
mike932
Regular

Re: copy cat blues

Postby LesFromChicago » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Your baritone uke story brings back fond memories.
During about my 9th winter my father got us a baritone ukele. We kids always had a standard size uke or 2 around, and my father had showed us how to finger some chords and I-IV-V etc,
but the baritone uke was much closer to a guitar and I played it until I got my 1st guitar at about 16 yrs of age. Yes I agree and know from experience too that a baritone uke CAN play some blues.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby mike932 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:31 am

Thanks for responding Les. I wasn't sure how people would take my idea, I am sure there were a lot of chuckles. The Baritone Uke has a very cool sound and using the slide and finger picks I get a great sound from it. I took a Samick kids bass and restrung it with Piccolo bass strings , tuned low to high DGBE, a very cool Ry Cooder sound was produced. I am not very good on the six string, but I do pretty good on a four string, so I am thinking of buying one of the new Martin tenor guitars scheduled to be delivered in March 09. I am a bass player and I am gig worthy, but playing the top end of the song is fun and so I have been working on finding my approach . I think I have it, the four string works for me.
mike932
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:44 am

i'm all for it.sounds like a great idea to me.i play a concert uke around the house which is fun,but i guess a bari would be more bottleneck friendly.
even just four strings is something i'm used to because i play slide bouzouki a lot.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:12 am

I am very impulsive, now I need to find a bouzouki and give it a try. I will keep trying to learn the 6 string, but I do struggle with it. The four string instruments seem easy for me to learn not sure why. The tuning of the baritone is like the high end of a guitar. I have used open tunings on the guitar and seem to do ok. But for some reason the first time I played the Baritone Uke it was like I had played it all my life. I ripped off some pretty cool blues chords and solo lines, pulled them right out of my ass, so to speak.
mike932
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues