amp (actually speaker) cabinet- does weight/mass matter?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

amp (actually speaker) cabinet- does weight/mass matter?

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:01 pm

I have a CRATE30 amp. It has amp and speaker together in a cabinet made of 3/4 or 1 inch thick press board, the heaviest substance known to man. It runs on battery when not plugged into the wall.
I have toyed with the idea of buying another just like it, then taking it apart and making a much, much lighter-weighted cabinet out of thin plywood, to make it a comfy weight for backpacking it for busking.

How important is the heaviness and thickness of the sheets of material making up the cabinet?

What are the implications of changing to thin lightweight pieces?
Attachments
crate.jpeg
crate.jpeg (2.67 KiB) Viewed 688 times
LesFromChicago
Regular

Re: amp (actually speaker) cabinet- does weight/mass matter?

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:16 pm

It'll reduce the bass response, by flexing and transmitting lower frequencies out the sides and the back where they'll meet the sound from the front of the speaker out of phase and cancel.
ricochet
Regular

Re: amp (actually speaker) cabinet- does weight/mass matter?

Postby LesFromChicago » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks for that tip Ricochet...If I ever go and do it anyway then I will at least try to make the sides and back as stiff as I can and line the insides with that foamy stuff to dampen viberations?

I don't know maybe I'm getting too old for a lot of trial and error, I mean to get beyond the errors to the final draft? Well, Long as i have fun trying! ("chips flying everywhere", C. Patton)
LesFromChicago
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues