'79 JMP 2204 in the blues kitchen!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: '79 JMP 2204 in the blues kitchen!

Postby slickcat » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Cips! Clips! cant wait.....I miss my old Marshall :cry: But wouldnt have anywhere to crank it and enjoy anyway. :roll:
Back in the day...my friend lived in a farm house and we played in a big Barn away from everyone! We could crank :) it was Rock Heaven 8) :lol:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm feeling a touch under the weather today as I felt a bit of flu coming on last night. Hopefully I will have a vid clip when I'm feeling better. I did play the amp a bit and it is every bit what a Marshall should sound like. The amp had some issues before. Here's what my amp guy did to fix everything...whew!

Roy Page from Thermal Design said...

"Low input channel dead/noisy/high input signal very low/ customer believes that bias is incorrect/ recent new tubes put in note: V1 double check/test all functions/dble check power cord.

Test tubes-ok new
input jacks incorrectly wired no grounds/low input not hooked up
tone pots wired backwards!
weird/added wrong value caps in pre amp causing amp to be to bassy and farty
grounds incorrectly wired on cathodes and star
incorrect cap on V1/ incorrect input cap amp too bassy
output jacks bad wiring wrong jacks
ohm selector wired incorrectly (not original) has an off setting IF USED THIS WILL RUIN THE AMP RUNNING WITHOUT A LOAD!
re-wire amp back to stock remove all incorrect added parts
amp sounds bad without "bright" cap in input too spluttery
12AT7 in phase inverter sounds ok
bias amp/amp way off. 19Ma instead of 36Ma tubes not matched 32Ma/40Ma/ install bias mod
tubes loose/tighten tube sockets install tube retainers
incorrect fuses CAR fuses 5 amp in 1/2 amp and 5 amp in 4 amp (really bad)"

Roy explained every thing that he had done and handed me a bag of 7 caps, one tone pot, and the crap output jacks he replaced. He went on to say that the low input works fine now and should have very nice clean harmonically rich tone. The high input.. and I quote..."where the destruction is.." should give you all that Marshall roar back. Punchy mids and tighter bottom. No more "wall of mud". " I removed the bright cap as is normally requested by customers on such amps but it seemed a bit dark. I put it back in and the amp is not over trebly but made the amp a bit more lively."

Upon getting the 'thang back home I first plugged in the V, straight no chaser, into the low input. Nice chimey cleans albeit not Fender Twin clean. Think "Jesus Just Left Chicago" here. Into the "destuction channel" (high input)
the amp sounded more incredible than I could imagine. Pure raw Marshall roar and tone. Using different amp and guitar settings, I can achieve tones ranging from "La Grange" to "Carry on Wayward Son" to "Refuge". Classic rock and blues in spades baby! I did the same with the LP Pro w/P90's. Holy Mother of all 'thangs Sacred! Changing settings I can get the 'thang to "quack" like any strat. Dialing it up further delivers creamy bluesy goodness. Think "Since I've Been Loving You" here.

Plugging in straight and using the guitars volume and tone controls (yes...that is what they are for!) in conjuction with the amps tone and presence controls, allows for a wide variety of tones from a supposed "one trick" amplifier. If this is a "one trick" amp...holy shit! What a trick indeed! I have played through alot of Marshalls, JCM's, DSL's etc. and this one is the best for my taste I have had the pleasure to burn in a tube on. The amp has a natural presence that almost reflects a natural reverb sound without actually having one. While it should take pedals readily and sound awesome, I'm more of simple cat and love the sound straight. I cannot imagine selling it for any reason.

In summation....when buying off the bay ...buyer beware! I happened to get very lucky though and had a fantastic amp vet make everything beautiful as it should be. The 2204 amp will only increase in value as demand increases and I consider it a great investment. If ya'll ever get the chance to play one you will understand the thrill I have for this amp. You might even consider selling the kids to the government for scientific experiments to raise the cash to buy it! Not that I would actually do that...but the thought just might cross your mind!

Cheers ya'll, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Damn, it really needed some work. Good to hear you got it all fixed up. I'm looking forward to clips with both the V and the LP with P90s.

Hope you feel better soon. I'm coming down with the congested head and the horribly sore throat currently. Just made some English Breakfast tea with lemon and honey and I'm feeling better already! :D
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby slickcat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Damn.........good thing you have a great amp tech! That Marshall really needed help! :shock:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Damn.....that amp was seriously f*cked up. :shock:

Glad you got it sorted out.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:26 am

Where are the clips TB?

I've never played through a 2204, but I played through a 2266 the other day. I met a guy who has one and we jammed out for a bit. That amp is killer.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:40 pm

I should have a clip by weeks end. Got busy this weekend, ran out of strings, blah, blah, blah, cat ate it, earthquack etc..

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:58 pm

Glad it's working now. I've been playing my JTM-45 clone a lot the last few days. Lovely amp. I imagine the JMP is every bit as sweet.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby texas blues » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:49 am

What clone of the JTM? The Metro's I hear are the shizzet! My wife doesn't know it but sooner or later I will be hiding a Plexi and a JTM45 under the bed. Got any clips of that amp?

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby texas blues » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:00 am

I gotta say ya'll..after playing this 'thang since I got it fixed, blues or rock, you can throw your fuzz and dirt pedals away. Well that is, just put them in the closet. This amp needs no special coloring and exudes somewhat of a natural reverb. I must be a little mushy in the brain but I swear the cabinet with the 25 greenbacks has opened up and from growl to howl to purr with fur, the sound is as smooth as a snifter of Remy Martin. If you ever get to play one of these amps or its bigger brother the 100w 2203, whether JMP or JCM, you will NOT be disappointed!

Cheers ya'll, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues