Ancient D'Armond pickup makes noise

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Ancient D'Armond pickup makes noise

Postby LesFromChicago » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:23 am

I am 62 years old but yet younger than the D'Armond pickup on my S S Stewart archtop.
The thing often doesn't work right anymore, sometimes it makes a loud hum without sending the "music" thru the amp.
When its humming like that, it gets much louder when I touch the pickup or even the cable.
I wonder does the cable need replacing, I mean the cable from the pickup to the volume and tone controls, maybe it needs rewiring? Or maybe there is some electronic component in the volume or tone control that needs replacing?
Any advice?
Attachments
SS STEWART.JPG
SS STEWART.JPG (26.69 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
LesFromChicago
Regular

Re: Ancient D'Armond pickup makes noise

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:36 am

Sounds like an intermittently open connection in there somewhere.
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:46 am

If the pickup is giving you that much grief, I can help. I'll give you a fiver for that old guitar there/
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:58 am

Pots do go bad far more often than pickups. Might first try spraying contact cleaner inside them and working them back and forth a couple of hundred times each if they're fairly readily accessible, but if it's a big deal to get them out I'd just replace them. Tie dental floss to the pot stems before you take them out, so you'll have it in place to pull the new ones into position.
ricochet
Regular

Postby kwill » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Had similar issues with the floating Humbucker on my Epiphone Emperor and found it was the pick-up,not the wiring. Removed and sent the pick-up to Kent Armstrong and he rewould/rebuilt it and now it sounds great.
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Yeah, there are several good people around who'll rewind antique pickups properly, counting the windings as they come off, making a pretty good replica of the "scatter" in the windings and so forth.

Check out Rick Aiello: http://www.horseshoemagnets.com He's a chemist who does this stuff for the love of it. He's mainly into steel guitars, but works on pickups back to the 1930s regularly.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues