Chromatic tuner recommendations?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Chromatic tuner recommendations?

Postby Alkasazi » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 pm

Anyone have any recommendations on a chromatic tuner? My little basic Quick Tune is dying, and since I'm replacing anyway, though I might as well step up to a chromatic. I'm playing both acoustic & electric.

Thanks,
Brian
Alkasazi
Regular

Re: Chromatic tuner recommendations?

Postby allanlummox » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:53 pm

I used a Boss Tu-12 for about 16 years and it BROKE for no reason.

So I bought another one.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Alkasazi » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:14 pm

only 16 years? I tell ya, quality these days....seriously, thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

speaking of checking it out, listening to your myspace page right now, very nice! every play around Portland, or just the online stuff? I'm just out in the Gorge, so always looking for good music to go listen to.
Alkasazi
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:40 pm

Alkasazi wrote:I'm just out in the Gorge, so always looking for good music to go listen to.

Where abouts?

Also, you can't really go wrong with any chromatic tuner. They're all gonna do the same thing. I have a Korg tuner. Had it for more than 3 years and I've only replaced the battery once. It gets the job done.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:57 am

BOSS TU-15

I've had it for years.
It has a "Octave Adjustment" mode that is great for setting the intonation on your Guitar.
grady
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:17 am

I like my little crafter tuner , It's a great tuner.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:19 pm

There are plenty of them out there. If you see a lot of concert type shows, the Boss seems to be kind of the standard. I've noticed my Boss TU-2 is more sensitive or responsive than a couple others I have.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Alkasazi, I just play a few local Farmers Markets and Craft Fairs these days. Kind of pulled back from the club scene for a while.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:51 am

Alkasazi wrote:Anyone have any recommendations on a chromatic tuner? My little basic Quick Tune is dying, and since I'm replacing anyway, though I might as well step up to a chromatic. I'm playing both acoustic & electric.

Thanks,
Brian

if your acoustic has electronics, you can buy any tuner, if not, make sure it has a built-in mic, or go for a clip-on tuner, they respond to the vibrations instead of sound - probably not recommended for stage use if you jump around a lot, then you're better off with a pedal tuner

I have a BOSS and an Ibanez - bought the BOSS years ago, the Ibanez came with a pedalboard I bought 2nd hand, one stays on the board, the other is for home / jam use (don't take the board to jams 8) )

one piece of advice though: make sure you know how to use YOUR built in tuners (ears 8) ), just in case the batteries in the "box" die... :shock:
jaybee
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:32 am

I keep a BOSS TU-15 in the case of my reso. Great tuner. Does open tunings, flat tunings. A must-have for open tunings.
On my pedal board I use a Korg DT-10. Great pedal board tuner - hit the switch and cuts the signal and allow silent tuning, otherwise it bypasses the signal completely. I'm also a big fan of the Peterson Strobostomp 2 for my instruments that have Feinten tuning systems. It's also cool for making programmable "sweetened" tunings. I think its a pain to attempt to use live onstage, but as a tuner.. not bad.

pEAcE,
jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:12 pm

Let me make certain I'm understanding this correctly. The BOSS TU-15 will cover standard tunings, as well as open D, G, etc?
I've been looking at different tuners and if this does what I think it does, it seems like the ticket.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:50 pm

A chromatic tuner covers EVERY tuning.

I'd never buy a 5-note "guitar" tuner. Can't imagine any good reason to recommend one.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:09 am

Doc wrote:Let me make certain I'm understanding this correctly. The BOSS TU-15 will cover standard tunings, as well as open D, G, etc?
I've been looking at different tuners and if this does what I think it does, it seems like the ticket.

ANY chromatic tuner will do that: it determines the note you are playing itself, so if you'd want to you could tune your gtr Eb-C#-F#-Ab-C-Db no problem (not recommended though 8) )
jaybee
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:26 pm

Sorry to appear redundant, but when I started playing the only tuners I remember were pitch pipes and tuning forks. Then life took a turn and I was away from music until I retired a couple of years back. So much has happened, sooooooo much to learn/re-learn.

Edited to Note that Cambodia was nice, except for those Bstards shooting at you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:32 pm

Doc wrote:Sorry to appear redundant, but when I started playing the only tuners I remember were pitch pipes and tuning forks. Then life took a turn and I was away from music until I retired a couple of years back. So much has happened, sooooooo much to learn/re-learn.

Edited to Note that Cambodia was nice, except for those Bstards shooting at you!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey Doc, no offense meant, just wanted to point out the BOSS was not your only option 8)
jaybee
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues