Effect pedals discussion

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Effect pedals discussion

Postby slickcat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:36 am

I thought you had a Roland cube?
That already has effects built in dont it? 8)
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

slickcat wrote:I thought you had a Roland cube?
That already has effects built in dont it? 8)
If this is directed towards me I have a traynore amp but was thinking about getting a roland cube because of the effects pedal board built in.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby TheDude » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:32 am

I'm sort of coming off the whole digital / FX thing, where now it's just guitar into OD-pedal into amp. Maybe a bit of reverb added.

Line6 really doesn't sound that great. The advantage of a POD or a V-amp (used to own one) is that for late nights you can plug in headphones and it'll sound great! Through an amp, because the amp colors the amp modeling on the POD it'll sound less satisfying.

The Roland Cube sounds way better than Line6 but you can't do a lot of tweaking on the effects plus you can save any settings. The VOX digital amps sound pretty good too and now you've also got the Peavey Vypyr. The Vypyr looks a bit like a toy, but actually sounds quite natural for a digital amp.

If all you want are some effects to go with your amp, and you already know which ones you want, you might look for cheap individual effects as well. Maybe a delay, chorus and a phaser/flanger?
TheDude
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:00 am

TheDude wrote:
Line6 really doesn't sound that great. The advantage of a POD or a V-amp (used to own one) is that for late nights you can plug in headphones and it'll sound great! Through an amp, because the amp colors the amp modeling on the POD it'll sound less satisfying.

partly, that's because they weren't made to be stuck between guitar and guitar amp, connect them to the PA or a powered monitor for that matter and they sound better since that's how they were intended to be used, even if they have an "guitar amp" output setting. If you don't have a PA or powered monitor available, go directly to the POWER amp stage of your guitar amp ( eg - 'effects return' or 'power amp' input) OR make "live patches" for your favourite patches in the POD, without the amp model / cabinet model, using only the effects, that should help too. 8)

me personally, I prefer stompboxes, partly because I think they sound better, partly because I think they are easier to work with (= too complicated for my old-fart-brain :roll: ) 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby slickcat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:49 am

Im sure there are some multi-effectos out there that sound good....Im old school. I like individual boxes. At this time Im using a MXR Carbon Copy delay, a MI Audio Crunchbox. and MXR EVH flanger.
I had a Wah and Compressor and chorus box but got rid of em.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:59 pm

slickcat wrote:Im sure there are some multi-effectos out there that sound good.....

I know of one multi-effects unit that sounds fantastic.
grady
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:11 pm

Honestly I think my old Zoom 505 through a single channel tube amp sounded much better than the Line 6 stuff but I honestly don't mind Line 6. I can play my Dads 30 watt Spyder for hours.

He has a V-Amp too and it isn't all that great through anything but headphones. I agree. I hear the Roland cubes have the most usable effects in an amp combo.
bignick
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:07 am

Back to the effects pedal question. Did you look into the Akai Hearush? It combines a tape echo (digital recreation), delay, and looper in one pedal. I bought it mainly for the looper, but have found the echo and delay effects are exceptionally good. The looper function is very simple to use compared to other boxes, and that's why I went with this one. It's great for working out riffs. Only downer for me was when I realized there's only one 1/4" input, so you can't run a mic into it along with a guitar.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues