Effect pedals discussion

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Effect pedals discussion

Postby Derekslide » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:09 am

Which pod to get?

I don't have much space in my new apartment I've only got 750 square feet so I'm going to list a few pods and see which one you guys would recommend ok?

Here's the first one.

1.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Floo ... 1172343.gc
2.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pock ... 1173933.gc
3.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-POD- ... 1145781.gc
Last edited by Derekslide on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Re: Pod discussion

Postby texas blues » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:04 am

Dude, seems you are putting the cart before the horse. Your focus thus far has been on gear over playing. Buy this guitar, sell that one, get this pedal or that to get your sound. Don't take this wrong but the best thing you could do for yourself is save your cash, plug the guitar straight into your practice amp and learn to play. First, learn to do the main riff from ZZ Top's "La Grange", then nail the solo cold. In another post there was mention of how a song should "swing". That one swings big balls! Learn it. Once you can do that, then you will realize you don't need the effects and you will have found "your sound" learning to use your fingers on your guitar. Good luck.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:11 am

texas blues wrote:Dude, seems you are putting the cart before the horse. Your focus thus far has been on gear over playing. Buy this guitar, sell that one, get this pedal or that to get your sound. Don't take this wrong but the best thing you could do for yourself is save your cash, plug the guitar straight into your practice amp and learn to play. First, learn to do the main riff from ZZ Top's "La Grange", then nail the solo cold. In another post there was mention of how a song should "swing". That one swings big balls! Learn it. Once you can do that, then you will realize you don't need the effects and you will have found "your sound" learning to use your fingers on your guitar. Good luck.

Cheers, TB.
Lets not go there TB, Lets stay with the topic at please, by the way tis will be my Christmas prez from my folks so I'm choosing which model I want. And the next time around I'm not going to be able to afford pedals and so on since I will have rent and other bills I have to worry about.

But I will heed your advice mate, By the way I've almost nailed Santana's Black Magic Woman solo & the main song.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:17 am

Derek,

forget that line6 crap,,,PLEASE !!!
That stuff is horrible.

Take a look at the VOX ToneLab LE.
It sounds real (unlike the line6 crap) and only costs $350-$400 new.

It can cover anything you'll ever want to do.
It has the best selection of Amps, Speaker Cabs, Effects, Output options, etc.

it's the best unit out there, period.

you can run it thru anything, Guitar Amp, PA System, PC, etc.
grady
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:24 am

grady wrote:Derek,

forget that line6 crap,,,PLEASE !!!
That stuff is horrible.

Take a look at the VOX ToneLab LE.
It sounds real (unlike the line6 crap) and only costs $350-$400 new.

It can cover anything you'll ever want to do.
It has the best selection of Amps, Speaker Cabs, Effects, Output options, etc.

it's the best unit out there, period.

you can run it thru anything, Guitar Amp, PA System, PC, etc.
Well the folks said I have to keep around $200 since they are helping me with my apartment deposit but I can exercise other brands as well.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:02 am

grady wrote:forget that line6 crap,,,PLEASE !!!
That stuff is horrible.

Yes Derek, please don't even consider Line 6. Their products are worthless. I have never used any piece of Line 6 gear that I liked.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:06 am

leftyguitarman wrote:
grady wrote:forget that line6 crap,,,PLEASE !!!
That stuff is horrible.

Yes Derek, please don't even consider Line 6. Their products are worthless. I have never used any piece of Line 6 gear that I liked.
Ok done.

Thank you Grady & lefty for the advice.

Since I can't afford a tone lab until I start college and hopefully get an intern job I'm going to need something that can also do loops, I was even thinking about the jam man from Digitech.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:12 am

Hey guys what do you think about this one?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-ME-20- ... 1322617.gc

It's a boss and I like boss products from what I've seen and heard in the stores.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jaybee » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:17 am

if a new VOX is too expensive, look for one on eBay, you might be able to find one you can afford - I'm sure your "sponsors" won't mind to hold on to the money until you do 8) and in the meantime... practice, practice (and go to music stores to try out the VOX, amongst others - may help you decide whether this is what you need/want)
jaybee
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:23 pm

jaybee wrote:if a new VOX is too expensive, look for one on eBay, you might be able to find one you can afford - I'm sure your "sponsors" won't mind to hold on to the money until you do 8) and in the meantime... practice, practice (and go to music stores to try out the VOX, amongst others - may help you decide whether this is what you need/want)
I like that Sponsors LOL.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jaybee » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Derekslide wrote:
jaybee wrote:if a new VOX is too expensive, look for one on eBay, you might be able to find one you can afford - I'm sure your "sponsors" won't mind to hold on to the money until you do 8) and in the meantime... practice, practice (and go to music stores to try out the VOX, amongst others - may help you decide whether this is what you need/want)

around here parents are also known as "walking wallets", I'm one of them :roll:
jaybee
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:53 pm

jaybee wrote:
Derekslide wrote:

around here parents are also known as "walking wallets", I'm one of them :roll:
LOL my folks call them self a walking credit card LOL.

but they get paid back pretty much a week after I buy something but this will be my last purchase/Christmas prez since I'll be in my place around Christmas time.
Derekslide
Regular

Re: Effect pedals discussion

Postby Troubleman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:42 am

Honestly, unless you're gigging - ask yourself if you actually need a multi-FX device at this point.
Fun toy to be sure, but why?
If you're in school-mode, your time's limited.
Personally I'd use it - what free time you do have available (and believe me - i've been where you are year and years ago) to hone my guitar playing chops.
If you're looking at toys and devices that'd be of great benefit - look at a decent drum machine (Alesis SR16s on eBay for cheap) and maybe a looper unit (i've a boss loop station)... maybe a single stomp box for overdrive or distortion.
I'm not being condescending here, just speaking from experience. The Line6 POD stuff would be out-grown by the time you learn to use it well. It'd give you dozens of tinny, crappy, giant-mosquito tones, but do little to improve your playing. Jamming with a drum machine is probably the best way to get your timing down (short of playing with other people), and expose yourself to other rhythmic styles as well. The looper allows you to lay down your own backing tracks and solo over them (improving your rhythm and solo skills), or write an entire song - layering loops one atop another. A decent drum machine and looper would do worlds more to improve you as a guitar player than all three of those Line6 POD devices combined.

My 2 pesos worth, but I've been in almost exactly the same situation as you.
Until you're out earning the extra $$$, or potentially gigging - work on improving your chops.
That way, when the money is available, when the gig is there - you'll have the skills to step up, not just a bunch of marginal to useless sounds out of a cheesy stompbox

pEacE,
jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:20 am

i have a pocket pod and am quite happy with it. I typically use it with my ipod pluggedinto it and headphones on. I download free backing tracks off the internet onto my ipod. The pocket pod has a bunch of pre-loaded sounds to pick from. More than enough for me.

I can sit on the couch and crank it up via the headphones without disturbing my wife and kids. Alternatively, I can plug it into my stereo and play it over the system speakers.

If you're not gigging, you could potentially live without an amp! I'll be getting a flat in Madrid in the new year for business ( i need to be there 2-3 nights a week). Likely I'll leave a guitar there and travel with my pocket pod and ipod.

On one occassion i used the pocket pod live with my marshall bbreaker. It was ok, not great but just fine. It sounds much better with the headphones.

Keep in mind, the pocket pod is only £60...a great value for what it is.
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm

wanderingyankee wrote:I'll be getting a flat in Madrid in the new year for business ( i need to be there 2-3 nights a week).

You lucky sun of a gun. I loved Madrid when I was there.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues