What's your PA?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

What's your PA?

Postby texas blues » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:33 pm

I have heard good things about this PA, Yamaha EMX512SC w/BR15's. 500w is a bit more than I need but there is that new thing called a volume knob, and the price at around a grand ain't bad. Buddy of mine from work has one and loves it although a bit loud in his wood floored music room. (he doesn't gig). I may be trying to sell the idea to my gal for a Xmas present for myself as I may be headed back to the Seattle area and will need it for working gigs. Any thoughts? What pa's do ya'll play through? Pro's? Cons?

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Re: What's your PA?

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Just out of curiosity, when do you think you're headed back there?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:46 pm

My gal will be in negotiations with her company which has an office in Kirkland and needs an experienced project manager for elevator construction. Las Vegas is grinding to a halt and dying a slow death so....If it goes well and the money is right...maybe mid December. We shall see.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:15 pm

Sweet deal. I'll be back up there in mid December too.

I know what you mean about Vegas dying. My stepdad (who was working on Streamline Tower) lost his job with his company. He was the VP of the company and the whole company shut it's doors.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:29 pm

What a coinky dinky. I was at Streamline yesterday. It's not the only joint in town with little or no occupancy. You headed back to Seattle for good or just the holiday? Rest assured, if it works out, soon as I hit town, I'll get badged for the market ASAP.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Hey TB, I use a Peavey XR600G Powered Mixer.
It's tough as nails and sounds good too.
I've used it almost daily for around 5 years with no problems.
grady
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:22 pm

What cabs?

TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:25 pm

I'll be back just for the holidays. If you hit the market you have to let me know. I'll take a trip downtown with some friends for lunch and I'll swing by!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:58 pm

I use a Peavey XR600G also. Great unit. I have several cabs depending on the place. For most I use Peavey PR15's
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:41 am

i've been using the same peavey xr400 with matching pair of peavey 15h's (15 inch woofer with a horn)since the 80's.i often use it with community monitors run right off the speakers.it has done thousands of gigs with out a single problem.the reverb doesn't wprk anymore but i don't use reverb anyway.

thinking of getting a small set up like the yamaha speakers with the built in mixer,a fender passport or even an acoustic guitar amp now that nobody wants loud music anymore.i don't need the full PA as much.

i've done some shows with peavy solo,which is a little battery powered amp that has an xlr input.pretty easy to carry on a motorcycle.
bottleneck
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:32 am

texas blues wrote:What cabs?

TB.

I use Mackie Cabs.
Those big old 15-inch units.
I took the power amps off of the back of them and replaced them with a crossover and regular 1/4 inch jacks.

They sound great.
grady
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:24 pm

for our duo, we got a fender passport 150. it's basically a suitcase p.a., speakers clip to the head, cables and power cord- and even a mic- go in a cubby on the back side of the head. i adapted the mount holes on the speakers to fit a couple of mic stands since i couldn't possibly afford $40 each for the standard stands (no pun intended!)

we saw this p.a. about a year ago in the clearance section of our local music store. we swapped a peavey acoustasonic amp and some cash for it. it has no monitors but we don't really need them. it's for small gigs, no full band action at all so far, just usually 2 vocal mics. we plugged her barcus berry pickup (on her fender acoustic) into the 4th channel just to check it out, and it sounded kind of thin, same with using that channel as a dedicated harp mic channel, so we opted to use it for vocals only and keep our silvertone 1482's and danelectro nifty fifty for instruments.

the controls on this head are a little weird. mostly because the dials are real space ship looking. i don't recall exactly how the book that came with the p.a. describes the difference but at the end of the day, we have effects, high, mid, and bass control.

this p.a. is real easy to lug around and no big deal to set up. we put an sm58 in her channel and i use the fender clone sm58 mic in mine. both sound very good. we've never had to crank this thing up a whole lot, and at the volumes we use it sounds fine for vocals.

i have played in and roadied for a lot of bands over the years and the 2 p.a. names that stand out to me are peavey and more recently mackie. but moving mains, monitors, and tubs full of cables is mostly a thing of the past for me. i'm real happy with this baby p.a., it does all we need it to and weighs just 27 pounds. of course there's mics and stands etc etc, but these things you always have to lug. all our gear will fit in a standard 4 door small car, a bit snug but we can get it all there with an overnight bag and some hanging clothes and even a cooler of cold drinks. what more do we need?!
jbone1
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:15 pm

jbone, I have played through a couple Passports and found that for me they just don't have quite enough poop. I for one don't mind lugging bigger/heavier gear around as long as it does what I need it to and sounds great. The Peavey's are sounding better to me all the time..

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues