Pignose G40V Guitar Combo Amplifier

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Pignose G40V Guitar Combo Amplifier

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Anyone using this amp? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Pignose G40V Guitar Combo Amplifier

Postby ricochet » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:21 pm

We've discussed it a lot.

Mine's a 2001 model. It's a near clone of a Marshall JCM 800 #2204 circuit wise. Made of the cheapest imaginable Chinese components crowded together as closely as possible, which makes it a humming mother. Had a cheap speaker that hissed and scratched after cranking it once. Replaced it with a Jensen MOD 10" 70W, which is louder and sounds great. Mine most likely had a power transformer suitable for running on 100V Japanese house current. Put 7.5V on the tube heaters. I spliced in a pair of 5W 1.8 ohm power resistors to drop the heater voltage to 6.0V. Other than that, I like it. Very Marshally sounding amp, as one would expect, and very loud. Much louder if you plug it into a cab with multiple big speakers, of course.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks for the response Rico. I should have done a search prior to asking the question. I'm notorious for getting the cart ahead of the mule!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm still on the tube amp quest, but being on a fairly stringent fixed budget I have to be very cautious about my desires. Some time back I posted that I'd sold a M1A and with the proceeds purchased an LP Studio. Guess I'm going to have to put my beloved, self built precision rifle on the block soon. :idea:
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 am

Man, I'd NEVER sell a rifle for a guitar! Other way around, maybe.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:24 am

hm, funny. my wife several years ago decided to find a decent acoustic guitar so she could learn to play blues with me. she took a fairly nice .22 ruger rifle along to a pawn shop or 2, ended up picking out one of only two guitars out at a place, and bartered the rifle and 50 bucks for a fender concord, circa mid 70's. it's a really great guitar. slings and arrows baby.

for the same $$ as a new g40v you could likely pick up a silvertone 1482 or similar amp on ebay. much better components and sound. and we found a danelectro nifty 50 for even less, it's not a 50w amp but puts out some serious volume and a tube-y sound through about a 7" speaker. it can be made to dostort like nobody's business or play fairly clean. these are both pretty much small to medium venue amps.
jbone1
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:37 pm

ricochet wrote:Man, I'd NEVER sell a rifle for a guitar! Other way around, maybe.

To be brutally honest, even though I've considered dumping the rifle, when the rubber meets the road I don't think I ever will. It is beyond accurate (sub MOA) out to 1000 yards!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Depends on the rifle..and the guitar.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:03 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:Depends on the rifle..and the guitar.

Point taken! This rifle, however, began as a Remington 700 short action. By the time I was through with it, it had a 24 inch super bull barrel, a glass bedded McMillan stock, and optics that retailed at around $1400. It weighs 14.6 pounds, unloaded without the sling, bipod, and unloaded. Weight verified on US Postal Service digital scales! A very odd project for one who spent the better part of his career in the medical field, but you must know how GAS (in this case Gun Acquisition Syndrome) affects us. I've had snipers from Seal Teams two and six give it high marks, although that was in the mid 1990's.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Doc wrote:
NEONMOONY wrote:Depends on the rifle..and the guitar.

Point taken! This rifle, however, began as a Remington 700 short action. By the time I was through with it, it had a 24 inch super bull barrel, a glass bedded McMillan stock, and optics that retailed at around $1400. It weighs 14.6 pounds, unloaded without the sling, bipod, and unloaded. Weight verified on US Postal Service digital scales! A very odd project for one who spent the better part of his career in the medical field, but you must know how GAS (in this case Gun Acquisition Syndrome) affects us. I've had snipers from Seal Teams two and six give it high marks, although that was in the mid 1990's.

SEALS...Sleep, Eat, And Liveitups..

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues