Let me get this right

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Let me get this right

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:51 am

If I had a 5w tube head, let's say the Epi Valve Junior, it can be plugged into any speaker cabinet that is either 4ohm, 8ohm, or 16 ohm because the head has those outputs, correct? The head should not be more than the cab can handle, right? So, if the cab's handling capacity was 75w for example, I shouldn't use a 100w head for the cab, correct? Not going to get anything that big, but I'm just using examples.

I've been looking at some small tube amps, mainly the valve junior head and cab, but there are also some really nice 1x12 cabs with Jensen Mod 50's for only $100 on craigslist here in Phoenix and some cheap EVJ heads on evilbay. I might have a promising job within the next two weeks, so I might get myself another amp.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Let me get this right

Postby rustyslide » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:30 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:If I had a 5w tube head, let's say the Epi Valve Junior, it can be plugged into any speaker cabinet that is either 4ohm, 8ohm, or 16 ohm because the head has those outputs, correct?

Yes.

Things to keep in mind:
- tube amps are rated for their clean output; most solid state amps (but not all) are rated for their max output, so give yourself some wiggle room on the cab's specs.
- the amp's power is going to be divided evenly between all the speakers in a cab (assuming identical resistance)
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:33 am

Like Rusty said. It's common for tube amps to actually be capable of more than double their rated power, and I like to use speakers rated for 2X the amp's nominal power or better. I'm not one who likes overdriven speaker distortion anyway, I like to hear what comes out of the tubes without a lot of speaker coloration. A plus (sometimes) is that higher power rated speakers tend to be more sensitive, thus put out more sound volume. Bigger magnets and voice coils, with cone suspensions that are free to move through a wider range and aren't pushing against their travel limits.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:40 am

Alrighty, thank guys!

So I shouldn't have any problem running a 5w head into a cab. Ric, don't you own a EVJ? What's your opinion on them?

Anyone have any input on Jensen Mod speakers?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:44 am

I have the valve junior head and the Epi cabinet with the eminence speaker--it sounds much better with humbucker or p90 guitars than Strats ( imho)--especially nice with a bit of trem pedal
goldbrick
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:02 pm

As I've often said, I'm a big fan of both EVJ amps and Jensen MOD speakers.

Haven't put a MOD in my early EVJ combo, though. I love the stock speaker.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:11 pm

goldbrick wrote:[The Valve Jr.] sounds much better with humbucker or p90 guitars than Strats

That's my experience as well.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:02 am

Since I've been playing my Strats mostly, maybe I will rethink the VJ. What other small heads are there?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:46 am

There's the Blackheart line of Amp Heads.
They get great reviews.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:06 am

Yeah, I looked at those. It's a shame that most of the gear today isn't available to test out in person. I've only seen an EVJ in person once, and I've never seen those Blackhearts except online.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:35 pm

Try a peavey classic thirty-real nice with single coils
goldbrick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:18 pm

goldbrick wrote:Try a peavey classic thirty-real nice with single coils

I already have a Classic 50. I've played some Classic 30s, and they're still too loud. :lol: I think my new neighbors are probably getting pissed at me cranking my Classic 50, so I want some good tube tone at low volumes. Too bad Peavey doesn't make a Classic 10 or Classic 5. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

grady wrote:There's the Blackheart line of Amp Heads.
They get great reviews.

Pretty damn good sounding amp if I do say so myself.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:59 am

I really like the VJH, for my music room. I've used it at a jam and it wouldn't cut through. Then again a chainsaw with a small block Chevy engine wouldn't have cut through that crowd.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Regarding the comments about the VJ doing better with humbuckers or P-90s than Fender single coils, what's missing with the single coils? Is it that you're looking for more overdrive than the lower output pickups can provide, or are you missing some of the single coil brightness?

The VJ responds well to overdrive pedals, the Arion Tubulator that MF sold at times for $10 being a favorite of many. Don't know about all the variations of the board that have been made, but my early combo has a spot to insert a "bright cap" for folks who just can't get enough treble.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:55 pm

ricochet wrote:Regarding the comments about the VJ doing better with humbuckers or P-90s than Fender single coils, what's missing with the single coils? Is it that you're looking for more overdrive than the lower output pickups can provide, or are you missing some of the single coil brightness?

My Strat just sounds a bit anemic through it? Even clean, it doesn't sound quite right. I suspect it's a lack of mids rather than treble or drive.

I've been thinking of building a Dumble-style pedal from the schematics on runoffgroove.com, just for fun. Might make the Strat work through the VJ.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment Blues