e-bay equipment

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

e-bay equipment

Postby deltablues57 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:08 pm

I am constantly looking at guitars and amps on e-bay. I gotta tell you I am really turned off by pictures of a guitar with the neck off so they can show you the date or something, or the inside of an amp showing the wiring. I feel like the equipment has been over handled. I don't even bid on those things. I would rather buy from someone who isn't "EXPERT" enough to disassemble the equipment. While I understand there are some very competent people selling stuff I can't be sure if they guy selling the equipment is good or just a hack who knows enough about a screwdriver to disassemble and how much messing around has been done to this disassembled equipment. I have purchased a guitar in the past that looked refinished using a roller and house paint, and a silverface champ with some crappy naugahide glued on instead of the Fender tolex. Any thoughts?
deltablues57
Regular

Re: e-bay equipment

Postby Troubleman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:40 pm

I've had pretty good luck.
In general I try to engage the seller and get a gauge for how much they know about what they're selling.
I tend to stick with people who have lots of positive (and little negative) feedback, or music stores.
I ask for lots and lots of pictures - specific angles so that I can get a better look at something potentially shakey..
Fenders (teles & strats) are a bit easier on the "worry-nerve"; they're like Legos as far as taking them apart and reassembling them.
I feel comfortable doing it. I used to do A LOT of set-ups & fret-jobs.

That said, I do absolutely understand and feel your concern.

pEAcE.
jb
Troubleman
Regular

Re: e-bay equipment

Postby songdog » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:47 pm

I have to agree that it is a little scary when somebody pulls the neck and pickguard off a '56 Strat. But then maybe it doesn't matter cause I think most of the people that are paying $40K for a vintage Strat don't know how to play'em.... they're just hangin em on the wall to look at :cry:
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues