Simon & Patrick guitars

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Simon & Patrick guitars

Postby bignick » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:58 pm

Hey Nick, my Seagull guitars bowed at the neck joint and the bridges came un-glued from the tops of the guitars.
Considering how well I take care of my guitars, that's ridiculous. It wasn't a string tension issue that caused the problems, that's for certain.

Dammit. I certainly hope that doesn't happen to my new Mini Jumbo or A&L. I've never been so happy with two guitars. How long ago did you buy them? They recently reinforced the neck joints with bolts from the inside to prevent that from happening. If the bridge comes up I'm going to be pissed.

Ultimately I noly have $400 total into the two of them, but I want them to at least hold up.
bignick
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Bit of an update on the Washburn Parlour Guitar, now that I've had for a week or so.

A couple of minor quibbles, the guitar was supposedly "Professionally set-up by Washburn luthiers in the UK", so the label says. Rubbish I say, the set up was not good straight from the box (well, it wasn't good for me) the saddle was a fraction too high and the neck had a bit too much convex bow in it. 2 minutes with some sand paper and quick tweak on the truss rod sorted it out. Much better now. And the strings the thing came with were apalling, a new set of Martin Lights and that's sorted. Small things maybe, but 10 minutes spent with it at the factory would have made it an exceptional guitar from the box.

It is now an exceptional guitar. I love it, can't put it down, play it to the total exclusion of my other guitars. My playing has improved, it has a wonderful bluesey noise to it. Never realised what I was missing not playing a parlour guitar. [Edit:] Forgot to say how much I like the chunky V sectioned neck, fits my hand like a glove :wha: , I'm spoiled now for any thin necked guitars I may try in future.

If you're thinking of a parlour guitar you can do a lot worse that get one of these, but be prepared to do a little tweaking.
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:06 pm

I played the Mark Knopfler Martin Parlor at a Guitar Center one day. There were only like 170 or so of them made, so I felt lucky to have played it. It had that huge, thick V neck, and I loved it too. I really like thick necks, mostly because I have really big hands. That's one reason I like my classical; I just wish it didnt have a bow in the neck.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues