Simon & Patrick guitars

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Simon & Patrick guitars

Postby grumpygroo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:22 am

Not a make I'm at all familiar with, Simon & Patrick. Anybody got any opinions on them, one way or another? I'm currently looking for a parlour guitar and have been offered an S&P parlour at a reasonable price. It's either that or a Washburn 125 Anniversary parlour guitar.
grumpygroo
Regular

Re: Simon & Patrick guitars

Postby rustyslide » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:36 am

They're fantastic.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby deltablues57 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:19 pm

I have a Simon Patrick parlor guitar. It is a nice guitar built in Canada, but it does play kinda like a toy. I have played a few Washburn anniversary guitars at Sam Ash. I would love one. The look sound and feel is 100% blues right off the front porch of a shack in the delta. Kinda like something Lightning Hopkins would play. They make 2 different models with different woods. They each sound a little different. Try both. You will be happier with the Washburn ..Delta
deltablues57
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:05 pm

I think you would be happier with the Washburn, but the S&P is a bit cheaper I'm sure. I really like all the S&P guitars I've played. They were all really nice for the money.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:36 am

Another vote for the Washburn.
I've owned a couple of Seagull guitars and they fell apart at the seams after a year or so.
grady
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:35 am

I've had my A&L Ami (same parent company, similar guitar, but cheaper), for three years. The neck is too thin front-to-back, but other than that it's just great. Tone is wonderful.

I've played new S&P parlours in the past 6 months that are even better than the old ones. I haven't had a chance to play a Washburn parlour, though.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Troubleman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:10 pm

I'm kinda lookin' at parlor guitars too. I have a Larrivee that I bought as a cheapo beater about 9 years ago. Go figure - they've gone up-market like nuts. It'd cost me a grand to replace these days, so I'm again looking at parlor instruments. S&P - in general they make cool instruments. They've had a few quality issues in the past, but I've heard they've gotten better.
Washburn - under-rated company. Some of their bottom-end stuff is pure fire-wood, but their better instruments are pretty darn nice

pEAcE,
jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:10 pm

Hmmm! It's all very subjective, isn't it. I was in a local guitar emporium yesterday evening and had a go on the Tanglewood Parlour guitar. Yet another very nice one, and all around about the same price. Looking at the reviews for these three they all seem to receive the same amount of Good versus Rubbish votes. They all seem to play and sound good to me, I suspect it'll come down to looks in which case the Washburn wins hands down.

Wow, L'arrivee...way out of my price range now!

Many thanks for your views :D
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:44 pm

grumpygroo wrote:Wow, L'arrivee...way out of my price range now!

Yeah, they're pretty spendy now, but some of them are amazing guitars.

Troubleman wrote:Some of their bottom-end stuff is pure fire-wood

Yeah, I would agree. I've never really played a Washburn that I would buy. Some of their cheap acoustics are awful.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:43 am

What happened to L'arrivee? As was said earlier, they used to be 50 quid beaters, now you can't even look at one for less than a grand? :blink:
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:44 pm

Jean Larrivée has been making fantastic, highly regarded (and expensive) guitars for many years. In the midst of the last economic downturn (2001) they moved to high-end stuff exclusively.

The best acoustic guitar I've played recently was a used Larrivée 000 sized guitar. $1600. It was very tempting, but $1600 is a new Nikon body or most of a new computer.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby bignick » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie, Lapatrie, Seagull etc are all Godin. I don't think there is much of a difference between them. Not sure if Simon & Patrick is the higher end or not. They seem fancier.

What fell apart on your Seagulls Grady? I had a used 12-string for 3 years and besides the soft top splintering a bit due to a lack of a pickguard, I've never had a problem.
bignick
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Right, I went for the Washburn in the end. It arrived this morning (nerve wracking, buying from the internet but cheaper) in very good order. Wonderful guitar, big sound for a little 'un, and it has a wonderful chunky V shaped neck which is a joy to play. I'm sure this'll kill off the GAS for a while.

grumpygroo
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:15 pm

Great looking guitar!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:35 am

You made the right choice grumpygroo.

Hey Nick, my Seagull guitars bowed at the neck joint and the bridges came un-glued from the tops of the guitars.
Considering how well I take care of my guitars, that's ridiculous.
It wasn't a string tension issue that caused the problems, that's for certain.
grady
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues