Street busking gear inquiry?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Street busking gear inquiry?

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:34 pm

I am pretty sure that will be apples and oranges to the Roland. This is a 20 buck mini amp.....
Slim
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:10 am

The tiny battery amps can be a viable option, but the 2" plastic speaker won't handle it. I use a Smokey harp amp (literally cigarette packet size) but I built a cab around an old 6/12" 8W speaker (from leftovers of ply, flywire and polystyrene, covered in brown paper and painted matt black) that includes a space for the Smokey to sit flush.

Its tough, pretty much disposable - its all from scrap - and gives the Smokey a much louder voice that is OK for 'short range' busking. I got the Smokey on eBay for $1.04 (someone beat me to the 99c opening bid!), so my total investment was probably less than $20. The tin of paint was the only thing I didn't have laying around in the workshop.

Not in the same league as a MicroCube, but fun to make and cheap. Don't forget a spare 9V battery or two!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:27 pm

What was the amp Jack Black used in The School Of Rock movie?

He was able to wear it and if they didn't edit the movie for that part, it didn't sound half bad.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:34 pm

LOL! I am sure they "edited" iot for the movie..... Dont remember that film but nothing on major movies is "recorded live"

Basically, you dont need any of that stuff for playing the street....just you and a guitar. I would not spend any money on anything specifically for performing on the street especially unitl you decide that you are going to do it with some regularity. Have you played for other people before (unbiased people that dont care if they hurt your feelings?)? You might want to ease int to it.... My suggestion is go find you a park bench somewhere and break out your guitar. Dont put a hat out just do it for yourself and then you can judge how others like it by any response you might get....If they cover their childrens ears and run, I suggest going back home to practice. If you play somewhere where people over indulge in drink get prepared for some brutal honesty! LOL!
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Slim wrote:LOL! I am sure they "edited" iot for the movie..... Dont remember that film but nothing on major movies is "recorded live"

Basically, you dont need any of that stuff for playing the street....just you and a guitar. I would not spend any money on anything specifically for performing on the street especially unitl you decide that you are going to do it with some regularity. Have you played for other people before (unbiased people that dont care if they hurt your feelings?)? You might want to ease int to it.... My suggestion is go find you a park bench somewhere and break out your guitar. Dont put a hat out just do it for yourself and then you can judge how others like it by any response you might get....If they cover their childrens ears and run, I suggest going back home to practice. If you play somewhere where people over indulge in drink get prepared for some brutal honesty! LOL!
I have before "my brother, the guitar center guy" and Smokin mirror's wife when I was at their shop.

She didn't think I was too bad. and my faimly who are not musically enclined at all. I'm ready for the brutal honesty "601 blues, and some roadkill guy made sure of that"
Derekslide
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:44 pm

LOL! I am sure they "edited" iot for the movie..... Dont remember that film but nothing on major movies is "recorded live"

Watch the movie. It was supposed to be funny and he messes up at least twice. That little Marshall battery powered amp really sounds like that. Not great, but okay. If it was edited, it wasn't worth the edit.
bignick
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:47 pm

Heres my take: I think I take musicians opinions of my playing even higher regard than just the casual listener. But I have found that if approached in ahumble way, they are willing to help me get better. Now the thing is you dont have to be a great musician to entertain folks....You just have to figure what they like and do that. If you are playing in a town full of musicians, thats a different story. I know folks who perform in NOLA on the street who are also some of the best studio and stage musicians in the city. Its just another way to make some money. New Orleans is a hard town for a beginner. Nashville is the same way. An over abundance of talent. Now Hattiesburg MS, I have seen acts in bars getting paid that I would not even throw spare change to on the street.....Its all about supply and demand. (Saw one guy last weekend that actually made me leave he was so bad!)
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:48 pm

bignick wrote:

Watch the movie. It was supposed to be funny and he messes up at least twice. That little Marshall battery powered amp really sounds like that. Not great, but okay. If it was edited, it wasn't worth the edit.
Atwhich parts does he mess up?

because he doesn't play a lot of guitar in any of his movies.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Slim wrote:Heres my take: I think I take musicians opinions of my playing even higher regard than just the casual listener. But I have found that if approached in ahumble way, they are willing to help me get better. Now the thing is you dont have to be a great musician to entertain folks....You just have to figure what they like and do that. If you are playing in a town full of musicians, thats a different story. I know folks who perform in NOLA on the street who are also some of the best studio and stage musicians in the city. Its just another way to make some money. New Orleans is a hard town for a beginner. Nashville is the same way. An over abundance of talent. Now Hattiesburg MS, I have seen acts in bars getting paid that I would not even throw spare change to on the street.....Its all about supply and demand. (Saw one guy last weekend that actually made me leave he was so bad!)
You have quite a few good point's here.

basically the area where I will be busking would be perfect for the blues and not many buskers here in my area so I have alot to choose from.

For example I can play in front of a place called house of dogs if I want since it's a blues juke just for hot dog lovers that want to listen to a lot of blues.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:00 pm

blues juke just for hot dog lovers

Nah, its a hot dog joint with a gimmick. It aint a Juke. Not saying thats bad just saying.....

Warning Authenticity rant Below!!!

IMO, you cant build a juke joint. You build a place, you sell booze (illegally is best), people come and play music, people get drunk and listen to music, Women with large rear ends and jeri curls dance provocatively to music, you serve fried chicken or fish plates cuz those people need to eat.... Well, you end up with a Juke Joint. To me you cant say "I am going to build a Juke Joint" or ou are doomed to fail. (Are you listening Morgan Freeman? Ground Zero is a blues music venue)

Note: These Jukes are traditionally owned by African Americans, and cater to African Americans although this white boy has been treated well everytime he ever entered one.
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Slim wrote:
blues juke just for hot dog lovers

Nah, its a hot dog joint with a gimmick. It aint a Juke. Not saying thats bad just saying.....

Warning Authenticity rant Below!!!

IMO, you cant build a juke joint. You build a place, you sell booze (illegally is best), people come and play music, people get drunk and listen to music, Women with large rear ends and jeri curls dance provocatively to music, you serve fried chicken or fish plates cuz those people need to eat.... Well, you end up with a Juke Joint. To me you cant say "I am going to build a Juke Joint" or ou are doomed to fail. (Are you listening Morgan Freeman? Ground Zero is a blues music venue)

Note: These Jukes are traditionally owned by African Americans, and cater to African Americans although this white boy has been treated well everytime he ever entered one.
LOL, well I've been in 1 juke and we've been served well and the food was tasty.

By the way if a white man tries to build a juke it wouldn't be a juke at all, just a pub or an eatery.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:11 pm

Last edited by Slim on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slim
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Blues bar, music joint, bar, blues club, etc etc etc....And thats gonna be what keeps blues alive cuz Jukes wee strictly for the community and they are almost gone now. Some rich white guys although prolly killing blues in some ways, are responsible for it being around at all.
Slim
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:55 pm

As far as features, you probably can't beat a Roland CUBIST Cube Street amp.
It's made with busking in mind. It's aimed upward, it runs on 6 AA batteries, it has a bunch of Roland's COSM models built in, it has two separate power amps, so it can deliver decent volume. It has a mic channel for vocals and a separate input for vocals. It'll handle acoustic guitar pretty well (which the microcube does not imo - speaker gets overwhelmed), and it'll do the gained-out Roland COSM amp tones, and actually (since one of the models is a Roland JC-120) a not-bad clean electric sound. My only real complaint with it (other than the $250-300 price) is that it is sterile and UBER-digital-sounding. There's nothing hi-tech about a good ole Pignose amp (and no vocal channel), but it's crunchy analog sound is somehow more organically delicious-sounding to me. Somehow it's 70's-chiq rude sound is preferable to Roland's hi-tech mimickry...

pEAcE,
jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Slim, Your right pr it's the rich white man who brought the blues "Danny aquroid" I think made it famous well ok not famous but well known though.

Troubleman, Very cool what did you do when the speaker got over whelmed?
Derekslide
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues