Street busking gear inquiry?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Street busking gear inquiry?

Postby 601blues » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Thats an ez question...gotta be the SG cause you ain't got a mind!!
601blues
Regular

Postby Slim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:50 pm

LOL!!!!

Derek, you always feel like you look better when you put on a new suit of clothes.....99% of it is half mental as ol Diz used to say.

I will say this, if this is the first time you played a guitar with that scale length, you may find it is more comfortable for you. I grew up playing around on an old strat and then I played a Peavey that seemed to have a little different neck and scale length I think anyway, I felt more comfortable on it. I have two Washburn electrics now and really struggle when I play the strat. The neck just dont feel right in my hand. I think the Washburn Neck is similar to an SG or LP??? Not sure.
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:54 pm

LOL 601 thats funny mate.

Slim, You could be right because I'm used to 22frets and I think I've heard some one say that the sg is like 34 or something but it feels a lot better then any other guitar I've played, I've also noticed that the hammer on's and pull off's are very easy compared to the acoustic and my other electric.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:58 pm

34? ??

Aint know way to compare iot to an acoustic....thats apples and oranges. But your other electric must have had a high action probably. Also the shape of the NEck can be different (The profile) which makes guitars different from one to another. But, here again, You generally feel better cruising with the top down if you are with the prom queen.....if you with the band nerd girl with braces things seem a little more difficult.... :D
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Slim wrote:34? ??

Aint know way to compare iot to an acoustic....thats apples and oranges. But your other electric must have had a high action probably. Also the shape of the NEck can be different (The profile) which makes guitars different from one to another. But, here again, You generally feel better cruising with the top down if you are with the prom queen.....if you with the band nerd girl with braces things seem a little more difficult.... :D
Now that's a good analogy :)

And your right it's probably the profile of the body and the shape, but who knows?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby bluejay » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 pm

I have a MicroCube and it's great, but Roland has expanded the lineup with a Micro Cube RX 4x4 model that is more powerful (full 5W), and the CUBE Street model http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-Street-CUBEST-5W-2x6.5-Battery-Powered-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481658 which has 2 6.5" speakers and is designed specifically for busking, including mic channel.

Roland even has a MicroCube RX 4x4 bass amp and a smaller Mobile Cube that is 2x2 4" speakers running 2.5W each. All run on battery or AC.
bluejay
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:37 pm

Many things are easier to play on an electric, so that could be one reason you think you're better. Every guitar plays differently and some play better than others.

I was thinking about your busking and it got me thinking. In Seattle there is a public market (Pike Place Market) and in the summer, it is absolutely beautiful. It's also a main tourist attraction in Seattle, so there are always tons of people there. Anyways, every time I've ever gone down there, there are always tons of people busking. Easily between 10 and 20 on a slow day. There was one guy I remember seeing about 6 or 7 times, and he was playing his Rogue reso with a guy who was playing an upright bass. Anyways, those two guys ALWAYS had the biggest crowd gathered round. His slide playing was pretty good, and his fingerstyle was really good. What I'm gettin at is, resonators are not an extremely common guitar in modern times (you don't see a lot of people in mainstream music playing them) so when people on the street see one, it really grabs their attention (more so than an electric or a regular flattop acoustic). I'd be willing to bet if you went out and busked with your Resos, you would gather a lot more people and possibly keep them interested for longer. If you want the attention, I think the Reso would be a good way to go. Either way, try both. Take the reso one day and take the SG and an amp the next. Just throwing in my $0.02.

Either way, I would stop and listen. Every time I see people busking, I always stop and take a listen, regardless of what they are playing. The most important part is to have fun!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Slim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:04 pm

Yeh, a res always draws attention. "What kind of guitar is that ?" "How old is it?" etc etc.... St. Louis Slim (with Washboard Chaz Trio as of late) is great on his old National.
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:Many things are easier to play on an electric, so that could be one reason you think you're better. Every guitar plays differently and some play better than others.

I was thinking about your busking and it got me thinking. In Seattle there is a public market (Pike Place Market) and in the summer, it is absolutely beautiful. It's also a main tourist attraction in Seattle, so there are always tons of people there. Anyways, every time I've ever gone down there, there are always tons of people busking. Easily between 10 and 20 on a slow day. There was one guy I remember seeing about 6 or 7 times, and he was playing his Rogue reso with a guy who was playing an upright bass. Anyways, those two guys ALWAYS had the biggest crowd gathered round. His slide playing was pretty good, and his fingerstyle was really good. What I'm gettin at is, resonators are not an extremely common guitar in modern times (you don't see a lot of people in mainstream music playing them) so when people on the street see one, it really grabs their attention (more so than an electric or a regular flattop acoustic). I'd be willing to bet if you went out and busked with your Resos, you would gather a lot more people and possibly keep them interested for longer. If you want the attention, I think the Reso would be a good way to go. Either way, try both. Take the reso one day and take the SG and an amp the next. Just throwing in my $0.02.

Either way, I would stop and listen. Every time I see people busking, I always stop and take a listen, regardless of what they are playing. The most important part is to have fun!
Thanks Lefty and I always value your 02% and I will be playing both. One day I will play the sg and the other the reso.

And Slim, your right I think it will draw a crowd like crazy specially when you can hear the reso down the street and it has no amp :)
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:59 am

the less gear the better, we just bring instruments and a songbook and stand when we busk. no amp means that people may not hear you across the street, but those who do will want to come close and listen. it can be a subtle thing. plus you may learn some things about projecting both voice and guitar to the max.

nobody has ever yelled anything rude to us. we did have panhandlers come hang out sometimes and one would dance around and clap his hands and then ask us for some $$ since he "brought the crowd". unfortunately he also blocked everyone from the tip jar and didn't have a badge, which we had spent our $ on, good for the season!

someone also snapped a pic and posted it on a website with a caption- "helluva way to make a living!" which is true. i sure would starve if that's all i did!

playing in a public place is a different animal, you see all ages and types. sometimes the little kids will be hypnotized by the music and it's so cool to see that. other times an old timer- older than US- will recognize a song we're doing and want to chat or ask for another oldie.

we use the street time to rehearse, work on stuff, and keep our pipes clear. we play anywhere from 10 to 25 songs in a morning at the farmers' market when we go down there. just kind of by sets, whatever we feel like. we also try to keep it upbeat and snappy, but there are times a mournful slow one gets some heads turning.

we seldom make a pile of dough. occasionally we see a five or 2, usually it's ones and change. but $$ is a secondary issue to us. we ain't rich but we're doing fair.

it's more about just sharing something cool with the world. and who knows who may walk by and be amazed at you!
jbone1
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:08 am

jbone1 wrote:the less gear the better, we just bring instruments and a songbook and stand when we busk. no amp means that people may not hear you across the street, but those who do will want to come close and listen. it can be a subtle thing. plus you may learn some things about projecting both voice and guitar to the max.

nobody has ever yelled anything rude to us. we did have panhandlers come hang out sometimes and one would dance around and clap his hands and then ask us for some $$ since he "brought the crowd". unfortunately he also blocked everyone from the tip jar and didn't have a badge, which we had spent our $ on, good for the season!

someone also snapped a pic and posted it on a website with a caption- "helluva way to make a living!" which is true. i sure would starve if that's all i did!

playing in a public place is a different animal, you see all ages and types. sometimes the little kids will be hypnotized by the music and it's so cool to see that. other times an old timer- older than US- will recognize a song we're doing and want to chat or ask for another oldie.

we use the street time to rehearse, work on stuff, and keep our pipes clear. we play anywhere from 10 to 25 songs in a morning at the farmers' market when we go down there. just kind of by sets, whatever we feel like. we also try to keep it upbeat and snappy, but there are times a mournful slow one gets some heads turning.

we seldom make a pile of dough. occasionally we see a five or 2, usually it's ones and change. but $$ is a secondary issue to us. we ain't rich but we're doing fair.

it's more about just sharing something cool with the world. and who knows who may walk by and be amazed at you!
Very cool, I was in saint augustine and the street buskers there only played 1 song every day we were there and I've asked the gentleman what key he was in and he didn't know and he had a capo on the third fret so I'm guessing it's e to d.

Anyways thank you very much for all the positive feed back for what I want to do this summer.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby §treetslim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:36 pm

two words:CRATE TAXI
§treetslim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 pm

§treetslim wrote:two words:CRATE TAXI
huh?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:54 pm

I just bought a little Danelectro Honeytone battery amp....cute little thing. Will tell you what I think when it comes in.
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Slim wrote:I just bought a little Danelectro Honeytone battery amp....cute little thing. Will tell you what I think when it comes in.
Very cool and let me know how it works ok slim?

I'm still thinking about getting the roland micro cube though.
Derekslide
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues