Question about multieffects

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Question about multieffects

Postby hunblues » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:05 am

Hy All!

I want such sounding on guitar like hammond organ, or harp. IS it possible? Can any1 of u recommend some multieffect for that?

thank you

laci
hunblues
Regular

Re: Question about multieffects

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:35 pm

The Digitech RP series effects processors have a nearly unlimited range of sounds. You can customise the sound you want by choosing types of amps, types of effects, distortions, and many others. I have one (The RP200 I believe). It's fun for messing around with, but IMO many of the effects are a little cheesy since they are all digital. However, they are quite inexpensive.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby TheDude » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:29 am

Don't necessarily need a multi-effects pedal.

I've seen Danny Gatton get a Hammond sound once for comping chords, just by using a simple chorus pedal. A simple chorus by the usual suspects (Boss, Digitech,...) will be between 50 - 100 USD/EUR. Look at Boss CH-1 for example.

If you got more $$$ to spend you can look at the Dunlop Univibe.
TheDude
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:58 pm

TheDude wrote:A simple chorus by the usual suspects (Boss, Digitech,...) will be between 50 - 100 USD/EUR. Look at Boss CH-1 for example.

Just lending my two cents, but I would stay away from Digitech pedals. All the ones I've used produce very cheesy effects, IMO. Boss makes some really good pedals though. The CH-1 is really nice in my book.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Slim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:22 pm

I like my little digitech...now granted their presets are cheesy and it is kinda a pain to modify the tones, if you play with it enough you can make it pretty sweet. I have an old ibanez 5 pedal programmable that is pretty neat to (just has chorus, sustain, reverb, overdrive, etc)
Slim
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:32 pm

I agree about the DigiTech pedals, they're as cheesy as the crud between Mickey Mouse's teeth.

I just bought a VOX ToneLab LE because it's the only multi-effects pedal that sounds real.
It costs only a little more than the Dunlop Uni-Vibe and it does the Uni-Vibe and everything else way better.
grady
Regular

Postby hunblues » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:51 am

Thank You all guys, gonna look after digitech, and boss chorus, also the last one -cant remember the name- pedals. Cheapest is Zoom as i saw, my "dealer" has nothing else yet, but i gonna look after these pedals.

ty!

laci
hunblues
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:42 am

The Dude: "I've seen Danny Gatton get a Hammond sound once for comping chords, just by using a simple chorus pedal."

you can get even a bit closer if you combine the chorus with a tremolo pedal, set very lightly 8)

as for the question multi-fx or single pedals, I think you should consider the following:

multi-fx do a lot of things "ok", thanks to programability they can be very easy if you need to use a lot of different tones (cover / tribute band situations), but can be a hassle if you want to change settings while playing

"single" effects pedals are "one trick ponies", they do one thing (very) good, are easy to change settings while playing, but no memory, so if you need to change settings a lot, it can become hard to remember just where they should be for what song

price issue: a multi-fx is more expensive than one pedal, but is you need a lot of pedals, you will spend more in the long run (although you can spread the "damage" over more time)

my personal experience: multi-fx are fun "toys", but in a live situation, I want only single pedals... I seem to work easier with them AND if something goes wrong with ONE, I can just take it out of the signal chain and still use the rest
jaybee
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:03 am

jaybee wrote:my personal experience: multi-fx are fun "toys", but in a live situation, I want only single pedals..

I use to think the very same thing until I plugged into the VOX ToneLab LE.
It's a whole new ballgame.
grady
Regular

Postby jaybee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:09 am

grady wrote:
jaybee wrote:my personal experience: multi-fx are fun "toys", but in a live situation, I want only single pedals..

I use to think the very same thing until I plugged into the VOX ToneLab LE.
It's a whole new ballgame.

Grady, glad it works for you man, I wouldn't mind being able to say the same... it's just that I feel much more comfortable handling the couple of pedals I use, than handling a multi-fx...

in the course of 20-something years I personally went through:

Roland GP-8
Roland GP-16
Alesis Quadraverb
Alesis Quadraverb GT
ART Mach II
Digitech RP10
Boss GT-3
Boss GT-5

and in the shop I extensively tried out

Line 6 POD
Behringer V-amp
Line 6 Axsys
Korg Toneworks AX3000G

I can program any sound you want into them (well, ok, I get close to the "original" anyway :) ) but when it comes to using them I always get lost AND I still prefer having to adjust the drive of my SD-1 or the length of my delay "on the fly" by turning just one button... guess I'm getting old 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:37 am

I've owned a truckload of that stuff too.
I use to have a massive rack of Marshall Tube Pre-Amps, Wireless, and the latest high-end Processors,
ART SGE Mach II
ADA MP-1
Lexicon & Eventide Processors
Alesis
Yamaha SPX-9000

All that stuff sounded very "digital" but, served it's purpose at the time.
It was the "thing" to do.

I can adjust the gain on my Overdrive or the length my Delay by using the expression pedal on my VOX Tonelab LE and the great thing about it is, I can do it with my foot while keeping both hands on my guitar.
grady
Regular

Postby gatorblue » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:01 pm

In my case, multi-effects makes sense. I play mainly blues, soul, and a little bit of blues-rock. I really depend on my guitars and my amps for my tone which is 95% of the deal for me. Then, I occasionallys use a little delay, or a hint of added distortion, or (on some soul/R&B songs) a little tremelo. But I almost never use more than one of those, and most often I don't use any. So, for my use, a muti-effects pedal is easier than the carring around all the boxes. The multi-effects also have a lot of pre-sets for stuff you might rarely use (like the organ effect), so it's nice to have if you need it.

My box probably has 100 pre-sets and 100 user sets, but I only use 4-5 (and one of those is flat---no effects).

I think that many guitarists focus too much on the effects and try to use too many at once and then, it sounds "cheesy" no matter what the quality of the box. Also, when you use no effects, or less effects, you more quickly advance when playing. In my experience, guys who have too many effects, and spend a lot of time on them, get distracted from what's important. Their tone gets weak and lacks the basic strength to cut through the mix.

Listen to Albert King, Freddie King, or Jimmie Vaughan's CD ---- the beauty is in the simplicity--the straight ahead stuff that's colored by tone and not by any effects at all. Just my 2 cents.
gatorblue
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:54 pm

I agree Gator, most guitarists get hold of a multi-effects unit and over-do it with the effects.
They go nuts with all the options and it sounds "cheesy".

I use effects sparingly, a little Overdrive, very little Reverb, just a smidgeon of Delay and occasionally a Modulation effect (Chorus, Uni-Vibe, Leslie,etc.).
grady
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 pm

Since abandoning my "rack of doom" from the 80s, I've been fairly down on muli-effects devices. Most have served up huge gobs of cheese and not much else - thin, buzzy, giant-mosquito sounds that disappear when the full band starts to play. They'll be inhabiting landfills really soon. There are a few notable exceptions. The one that most intrigues me - TC Electronics G-System. This thing COOKS!!! Thick, corpulent tones, very tweakable, very easy to use.
This company "gets it" as far as making guitar effects...

Give it a look. Not cheap, but man does it rock....

http://www.tcelectronic.com/G-System

pEAcE,
jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:02 am

gatorblue wrote:I think that many guitarists focus too much on the effects and try to use too many at once and then, it sounds "cheesy" no matter what the quality of the box.

Many great guitar players use a lot of effects and have created some of the best stuff. I think that if you use the right effects at the right levels, it doesn't matter how many different effects you have, it will sound good.

I rarely use the pedals I have. I just prefer going straight into the amp. If I were playing in a band setting however and had a song list, I would probably invest in pedals to get a unique sound.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues