New Gear day !!!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New Gear day !!!

Postby grady » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:28 pm

I bought a VOX ToneLab LE yesterday and let me tell ya,
This is the finest piece of gear I've come across in a very long time.

I've been down the "Modelling road" a few times and have always been disappointed.
Not this time. Forget about that Line6 junk.
The VOX ToneLab uses a real 12AX7 tube as a "Power Amp" much like the current crop of 1 Watt Amp heads currently available and has a VERY realistic tube amp sound.

Then, add in every vintage & modern effects pedal you ever wanted and you have a complete package.

I've just begun to discover what all this fantastic piece of gear can do and I'm more than impressed,
I'm in love.

The ToneLab has every option you could possibly imagine. A slew of In's and Out's for connecting it to anything you can imagine.
I'm currently running it straight into my PA System (without a Guitar amp) and getting fabulous REAL amp Tones.

We've all talked about how great it would be when Modelling Technology finally turned the corner and became something that you could really use in a LIVE setting.
Well, that time is NOW !!

VOX has done it.

How great does it sound, you ask ??
Put it this way, I have a whole pile of boutique effects pedals that I'm not using anymore.
The VOX ToneLab LE has taken their place on my pedalboard.

There'll be many soundclips to come in the near future.
You won't believe your ears.
grady
Regular

Re: New Gear day !!!

Postby bluejay » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:12 am

Boy, Grady you keep up with the times.

"...Put it this way, I have a whole pile of boutique effects pedals that I'm not using anymore.
The VOX ToneLab LE has taken their place on my pedalboard."

Well since you're not using that Maxon 808 OD anymore, you know the one you say is such a great match for our Pro Jrs., can I send you my mailing address, what with Xmas being so close and all...? 8) :wink:
bluejay
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:22 am

Congratulations grady.

I know how nice it feels to buy something you always wanted :)
Derekslide
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:55 am

grady wrote:Forget about that Line6 junk.

I had, until you mentioned the name. :lol: I hate their products.

I've read some good things about the ToneLab. I'm excited to hear some sound clips.

Also, what kind of boutique pedals aren't you using?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:36 am

I'm still using the Maxon OD808 Bluejay. :D

Thanks Derek.

Lefty,
My pedals are mostly FullTone stuff, a Holy Grail Reverb and some various Distortion boxes.
They'll probably end up on Ebay.

Here's a new photo of my PedalBoard.
No room for my DigiTech Jam Man and it's External Footswitch.
I guess I'll carry them in a Flight case.

grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:25 am

Before you put that Holy Grail Reverb on ebay, PM me. Maybe we can work out a deal. I like them.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:56 am

leftyguitarman wrote:Before you put that Holy Grail Reverb on ebay, PM me. Maybe we can work out a deal. I like them.

OK, PM sent.
grady
Regular

Postby bluejay » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:23 pm

Grady, that says a lot about the Maxon OD808 that you still think it's a keeper considering your opinion of the new Vox unit. The Maxon will stay on my wish list.
bluejay
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:41 am

Grady...and so your training in the ways of the darkside has begun. Where's the tubes? Where's the warmth? Where's the love?
Seriously though, good on you Grady for being cutting edge and up on all the latest hardware. For me, when I started playing way back in the day of the white buffalo and the neanderthal, I started with just an amp and a guitar. Then it got good to me a little bit and then I had to have all the toys and sound like this or that. Many thousands of dollars and countless moons later, it came back around to me what I wanted to sound like and it turns out ...you guessed it, just an amp and a guitar. Don't get me wrong bro, I know that as a professional musician, as well as an accomplished guitar player with the skills to go with, and a solo act, you are called upon to offer up alot of sounds and tones in order to perform a particular ditty and you apply that where appropos. Do your 'thang man and hopefully stubborn ass me can learn something from you. Now pass that 'thang over here, you done let it go out.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:22 am

LOL TB !!!
It has a Tube in it Brother, one 12AX7 that it uses in the same way as the current crop of 1 Watt amps out there (Blackheart Killer Ant,etc.).
I love the sound of a VOX amp but, at the same time, the Fender sound is my favorite.
Every once in a while I need a Marshall-Type sound.
The Van Halen '78 tone on it is the best I've ever heard as far as the VH sound. It sounds EXACTLY like the first VH album.

I don't over-use the effects in this ToneLab. I use it to get a great Tube amp tone and I run my OD pedals in the effects loop. Right now, I have two tones that I'm using, A SRV-type Blues tone and a real clean & full Fender Bassman-type tone.
That'll do me for a few days until I get another break from gigs and guitar lessons and can mess with it a little more.

I'll never use everything that's in this critter but, what I love about it is it gets a very realistic big Tube amp tone. You strip away all the effects and it getas a great basic tube tone.
That's what convinced me to buy it.
grady
Regular

Postby texxx » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:13 am

cool pedal
texxx
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues