My Newest Baby

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:04 pm

Slim wrote:Yeah but that extra string makes all the diference in the world. you only have two tones in an open or completely barred situation with that tuning. when you have an open D you have a true chord when you strum open or full barred then to make a 7th or minor is really simple. Plus, playing scales has to be more difficult as you would ahve to run the neck? As far as knowing the notes...I couldnt tell you what notes ae what other than at open strings...LOL! :lol:
Well I've been thinking about doing Drop D, That way I can play anything pretty much and plus I can play A G A D G A "ac/dc tnt"

and bb king stuff and I can still slide.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:13 pm

Cool. I cant play slide in standard hardly at all cuz you got to use so much muting to keep form getting off tones. And to me Drop D is basically standard tuning with one string dropped. I am a proponent of open tuning! I love the sound and it just seems to make sense when I play. I like standard tuning alos just not for slide. Right now I have my reso tuned open G, my Washburn lectric open E (But tune it back to standard alot cuz I love playing that guitar.) My Eagle lectric open D. My wifes washburn lectric in standard. When I get around to replaceing the nut on my fender and yamaha acoustics they will prolly be in standard.
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:20 pm

Slim wrote:Cool. I cant play slide in standard hardly at all cuz you got to use so much muting to keep form getting off tones. And to me Drop D is basically standard tuning with one string dropped. I am a proponent of open tuning! I love the sound and it just seems to make sense when I play. I like standard tuning alos just not for slide. Right now I have my reso tuned open G, my Washburn lectric open E (But tune it back to standard alot cuz I love playing that guitar.) My Eagle lectric open D. My wifes washburn lectric in standard. When I get around to replaceing the nut on my fender and yamaha acoustics they will prolly be in standard.
Very cool Slim, You know I'm like you but instead of normal music like how you play I can't seem to play normal music with out going out of tone? but my slide in standard and dadaad is very good and solid playing style.

And I can hear when I'm about to go out of tone when I play my slide, Weird eh?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Different tunings speak to different people. In the world of alternate tunings, you have to play in the one you understand the best. I've stuck with Open D, Dm, and DADGAD for about 2 years now and I play it way better than I ever did standard. Makes total sense for me.

A standard set of 11s has an 18 for a G string. If you are tuning a step up to A, it wouldn't make sense to bump your gauge UP. I would suggest going with a 17.
bignick
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks Nick and I will try open D as well.

And open D will allow me to play with a guy playing in standard?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Youcan play any tuning with a guy in standard. All the same notes are there just in different places. Now would it be practical to play in open D if the song the guy is playing is in A? Prolly not but hell it could be done. The simplest I guess would be that you play open tuning of the same key as the tune you are playing or it could be in the key of the relative minor of the tuning? but it is especially easy to play say songs in the key of D when you are tuned to open D.

Think about it, Derek.....You have twelve frets. Every note is available on every string between those 12 frets. You get to the 12 and it starts over. Every string has every note on it. All that changes is the starting point. They are all there. All tunings do is make things more accessable depending on what you are trying to do.

Reason for an open tuning is that when you bar with your slide you are making a chord
Slim
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:05 pm

You shouldn't have a problem.

If you want to make it easier to find keys, capo on the 2nd so you have Open E. If he is in E, it makes it a little easier.
bignick
Regular

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:09 pm

You could tune all your strings to one note...say G (Okay you would prolly want to change string gauges) and you could still play any song you wanted because all the notes are there (G,G#,A, Bd,B,C,C#,D,Eb,E,F,F#,G) WOuld sound kind a silly thougha nd you would be jumping all ove rthe neck
Slim
Regular

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:10 pm

The above is for illustration...no one would actually tune their guitar like that...

Just saying all the notes are there.

And yes, especially in open tuning the capo is your friend!!!
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:13 pm

Slim if I tuned my baby to open D? and buy a capo that would only make it in the key of e right?

And I'm sure some one did tune their guitar to that tuning on youtube LOL.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:19 pm

Well, no you could capo it anywhere and get any key...ie (Eb,E,F,F#,G,G#, etc) until you run out of frets the only thing is when you capo up the neck then you lose neck to paly with. If you capo on the second fret you still everything available to you. What I do is if I am tuned in G and wnat to play an A tune I capo at the 2nd fret. If I want to play in D I retuen to open D and then if I wnat to play in E I capo the 2nd Fret.

Dont be afraid of tuning your guitar...I mean play a few songs in G and A (capod)if you are in open G then retune real quick to Open D and do a few in D and E (capod)
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Slim wrote:Well, no you could capo it anywhere and get any key...ie (Eb,E,F,F#,G,G#, etc) until you run out of frets the only thing is when you capo up the neck then you lose neck to paly with. If you capo on the second fret you still everything available to you. What I do is if I am tuned in G and wnat to play an A tune I capo at the 2nd fret. If I want to play in D I retuen to open D and then if I wnat to play in E I capo the 2nd Fret.

Dont be afraid of tuning your guitar...I mean play a few songs in G and A (capod)if you are in open G then retune real quick to Open D and do a few in D and E (capod)
That's very cool.

I didn't know much about the capo because I'm still quite a newb LOL
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:26 pm

All a capo does is shorten your strings....I mean think about it: if you are in say open G and you capo two frets up you are in Open A...(Get it? You shortened the strings by two frets, a full step G-G#-A) Same for Open D....(D-Eb-E)

Think waht your frets are.. half-steps. Well when you are tuned to an open tuning you are making a chord when you strum it opened or barred at any fret. So when you capo it you are just changing it by however many half steps you moved it from the nut
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Slim wrote:All a capo does is shorten your strings....I mean think about it: if you are in say open G and you capo two frets up you are in Open A...(Get it? You shortened the strings by two frets, a full step G-G#-A) Same for Open D....(D-Eb-E)

Think waht your frets are.. half-steps. Well when you are tuned to an open tuning you are making a chord when you strum it opened or barred at any fret. So when you capo it you are just changing it by however many half steps you moved it from the nut
I didn't even know the capo thing until you explained it.

I do know that the fret is a step or a half step or 1 hole step so on.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:45 pm

I love capos. I know a lot of people frown on them, but I don't give a shit.

My whole purpose for playing in Open D, E, etc. is that I have a specific way I play and a specific sound I am looking for. Tuning open accommodates the way I play the best. The cool thing about using a capo, is that it makes the feel of the guitar different. The further you move the capo towards the 12th fret, the more tension you have on those strings.

Albert Collins did that. He picked really hard with his fingers and preferred a lot of tension. He capoed up at the 7th and 9th a lot. Jimmie Vaughan capos for a totally different reason...he prefers riffs in the 1st position so he capos to where that position is. I even read an interview where he stated that he capos to help him sound more like himself. Capos also save your neck if you want to tune up to say...Open E or Open A. You can tune to Open G or D and simply capo the 2nd fret.

I use one for all of the above reasons. I would highly suggest paying the $14 to pick one up.
bignick
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues