My Newest Baby

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

My Newest Baby

Postby Derekslide » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:52 pm

My Newest baby!


Standard SG.


Just Purchased tpday and GHS 10's added.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby ricochet » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:27 pm

I like that!
User avatar
ricochet
Regular
 
Posts: 10256
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:40 pm

Sweet! I really like the color of it! One day I'm going to own an SG. As for right now, I own too many guitars. Way too many.
User avatar
leftyguitarman
Regular
 
Posts: 3183
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 am
Location: Washington State

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby grady » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:46 pm

That's a nice guitar Derek.
I like the Pewter finish.
User avatar
grady
Regular
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:55 am
Location: Duh, in front of the Computer

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby Derekslide » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:48 am

Thank's gang, I wasn't going to buy it I was going to look at the acoustic guitar but fell in love with the sg standard.


:)
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:15 am

They're badass and well worth the money. I played one for about an hour and a half in a music store by my old house and I loved it.
User avatar
leftyguitarman
Regular
 
Posts: 3183
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 am
Location: Washington State

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby Derekslide » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:They're badass and well worth the money. I played one for about an hour and a half in a music store by my old house and I loved it.
Oh man, Your so right!

The volume and the tone is stunning and what GROWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, Man I was playing at volume one and this thing was shaking the walls :)




But can't seem to tune her to DADAAD, I hope I'm not going to have to have a tuning issue.
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby Lawson » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:05 am

Now that is a nice piece of guitar, i hope to own one of those sometime soon.
User avatar
Lawson
Regular
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:54 pm
Location: The Maritimes, CAN

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby mike932 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:20 am

You have great taste Derek. That is a great color.
User avatar
mike932
Regular
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:06 am

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby Derekslide » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks guys.

Here is a photo of myself at Guitar Center :)

Image

This thing can Growl and rock hard on volume 1 and I would hate to hear this puppy on 3 or 5.
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby bignick » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:14 pm

DADAAD is kind of an odd tuning. You are slacking your tension on 2 strings, and adding tension on another. That guitar has been sitting in standard tuning for awhile, it will take some time to adjust.

I would suggest bumping your gauge up to a set of 11s, sub the high E (D in your case) with a 13 or 14 plain, and the G string (3rd string) with a 16 or 17 plain rather than an 18. You should like the feel of that with a brass slide if tuning up to A.

If it were me, I would go even higher because I like a 53 on the low E (D in your case) and a 14 on the high E (D in your case).

You will have to adjust your truss rod and you may even need someone to check the nut slots.

Honestly Derek, I would take your new toy to a local shop and have them set it up with the string gauge and tuning you want to use. Then leave it alone. If you bought it from GC, this will be a must to get the most out of your guitar. Should only cost you around $25.
User avatar
bignick
Regular
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:31 pm

bignick wrote:DADAAD is kind of an odd tuning. You are slacking your tension on 2 strings, and adding tension on another. That guitar has been sitting in standard tuning for awhile, it will take some time to adjust.

I would suggest bumping your gauge up to a set of 11s, sub the high E (D in your case) with a 13 or 14 plain, and the G string (3rd string) with a 16 or 17 plain rather than an 18. You should like the feel of that with a brass slide if tuning up to A.

If it were me, I would go even higher because I like a 53 on the low E (D in your case) and a 14 on the high E (D in your case).

You will have to adjust your truss rod and you may even need someone to check the nut slots.

Honestly Derek, I would take your new toy to a local shop and have them set it up with the string gauge and tuning you want to use. Then leave it alone. If you bought it from GC, this will be a must to get the most out of your guitar. Should only cost you around $25.
I will be sdoing this probably in 2 months because your right it does need a set up from someone I can trust and I will have to wait until there is an opening and that will take around 2 months.

My teacher said the 2 a strings should be at least 20's, You think hes right BigNick?
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:37 pm

What makes you want to tune it that way? Seems you would be very limited with that tuning. Just me but having only two different pitches would make you either very limited or make you jump all over the neck to play most any song. I mean whatever works but it would seem that an open D would work better. For me at least.
Slim
Regular
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:39 pm

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby Derekslide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Slim wrote:What makes you want to tune it that way? Seems you would be very limited with that tuning. Just me but having only two different pitches would make you either very limited or make you jump all over the neck to play most any song. I mean whatever works but it would seem that an open D would work better. For me at least.
Hey Slim, This is the tuning I've learned when I've started playing guitar way back then and I'm very used it to and I've finally memorizing where every note is and it so on.

But my tuning is not that far away from Open D, I think its only 1 letter away from open D.
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: My Newest Baby

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Yeah but that extra string makes all the diference in the world. you only have two tones in an open or completely barred situation with that tuning. when you have an open D you have a true chord when you strum open or full barred then to make a 7th or minor is really simple. Plus, playing scales has to be more difficult as you would ahve to run the neck? As far as knowing the notes...I couldnt tell you what notes ae what other than at open strings...LOL! :lol:
Slim
Regular
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:39 pm

Next

Return to Equipment Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron