Making a fitting room for music at home

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Making a fitting room for music at home

Postby hunblues » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:37 pm

Hy guys!

This may be a bit stupid, but let me raise an issue about it. What, and where can be the best place to make a fitting room for music at home? Attic or cellar? Or a simple room? And how is it made? (I have a place in our cellar to make one, if u have any good ideas, it would be lovely to share it here)

I mean if u have low budget to make one, what would be the best suggestion about it? What would you put in there? Drums, amps etc. What kind of decoration can u imagine to it?

plz post ur comments here

ty

laci
hunblues
Regular

Re: Making a fitting room for music at home

Postby jeffl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Welcome to the board Hunblues. I'm not much help on the music room thing, 'cuz at my house we do our jammin' in the livin' room, due to the fact that the big keyboard resides there, and the climate in the basement is too dicey to leave sensitive instruments down there. If you're gonna play amplified, you need a place with ample power supply. The bigger the space, the better, IMO, in case you get more guys playin' than you ever thought you would. It's nice to be able to move around during sessions as well. Good ventilation is a plus too, for controlling the climate and moving smoke out if you allow that in your house. Having a bathroom (Water Closet..?) nearby isn't bad either, if anybody's drinkin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:56 pm

I just play wherever I can. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby rockonpapa » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:19 pm

I hve found a lot of good informatin, for future use on:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Hope this helps.

Enjoy Life...Play More! :D
rockonpapa
Regular

Postby neil sharpe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Although I've just picked up the guitar, I've played the sax for years and this is a common issue. Here are some links about building a practice room.

http://www.petethomas.co.uk/home-soundp ... nuheader=8

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=58367

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=91118
neil sharpe
Regular

Postby hunblues » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:17 am

Thank You all guys! Ventilaltion and wc are good ideas! Humidity, and vapour might be problems thats sure.

Cant visit those links now, im at workplace, but going to take a look at them tonight.

tyty!

laci
hunblues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:49 pm

I would definitely say that ventiliation is a necessity. When you get a few people in a room jamming, the room tends to get really hot, especially if you've got some large tube amps. That, and it seems as if a lot of musicians I've met and played with tend to like to smoke various things, so if you allow that in your place as mentioned before, ventilation is a really good idea.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby watertore » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:53 pm

how loud do you play? sound transfer is great in most homes. Wood is a great conducter of sound. the basement is good for keeping outside noises out, stays temperate, but the floor above your head will conduct sound like crazy. So will a/c and heat ducting. I have a recording studio in my basement. It is heavily insulated between the 2 sheet rock walls (other 2 are cinderblock) and in the ceiling. I play very quiet. I use a thd hotplate to keep the guitar quiet(lower than speaking voice), use a brush on my snare, and sing unaplified. My loudest volume is on playback/mixing. It is not much louder than a decent tv, but still, my wife can hear me on the first floor. She has to go to the second floor to get quiet. I also ran a/c, heat, lots of plugs, and lighting to my studio. The basement stays temperate as well. It runs between 65 and 70 year round, without the a/c and heat. I open those vents when I do extended playing or have others in there.

the attic was my first choice, but the cost detered me. It gets hotter and colder than heck up there and would require a seperate a/c setup. The bottom line is, if you play much above loud singing levels, your sound is going to permeate the house. To get isoation you need to build a room within a room, with nothing touching the floor, walls or ceiling. My long range goal is to build a seperate building on our property for the studio. That is the only way I will be able to not fill the house with sound. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Walter is right about the wood floors.
I can't fart in my house without someone hearing it. :D
and I've got a pretty big house.

I've recently gone to all Software-based music gear.
I put the Headphones on and go nuts without waking anyone.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:02 am

Here is a link Dan gave me. Same place he got his "cube" from. Fairly spendy, and not sure if you can get them in Hungary.

http://www.whisperroom.com/

I'd love to have one one day.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:24 pm

I don't think Whisper Room ships overseas, but there may be a European product that is similar.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hunblues » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Great! Ty all guys! Good comments/ideas! I have told, that the greates and cheapest "tone catcher" is the paper egg-cups. Here I can find easily these things on market, and if i decorate the room whit these paper egg-cups, not only a tone will go out of the room. So i rush to the market now..

cheers
hunblues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 pm

...those don't work especially well.

They act as sound diffusers, but don't block an appreciable amount of sound - or work as well as foam as a diffuser.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues