Lubricating nuts?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Lubricating nuts?

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:08 pm

LOL!
ricochet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:49 am

If you ask me, you're all bloody nuts! :lol:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:09 am

If you've got bloody nuts, you're hurtin' for certain.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Little Tina » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:46 am

Must have been bendin' hard...I never broke a G-string yet.
Little Tina
Regular

Postby abhinav » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:58 am

I lubricate the nuts AND the saddle regularly with graphite (pencil 'lead'), and it has worked wonders for me. I used
to break the first two strings often, especially when changing strings. Now, I break
fewer strings, and the tuning problems (the string slipping on the saddle) go away. I cannot recommend it enough.
Graphite is used as a lubricant in machines, and does not spoil anything, since it is absolutely inert (it is very fine carbon
powder).
abhinav
Regular

Postby Slim » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:57 am

I have always used gold bond powder...oh you meant on the guitar. LOL! Nope never do that. Might try but neve rhave too much problem.

Ab- what you think causes you to break strings when you are changing them out? I have never had this issue.
Slim
Regular

Postby abhinav » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:07 pm

The strings break sometimes when there are rough areas that have been created on the saddle and in the nut slots due to wear and
tear. When changing strings, as you re-tune them and change the tension, the strings 'slip' over these areas (causing the 'clicking' sound
while tuning), rubbing against these rough grooves. This sometimes breaks them (or that is my guess why). Doesn't happen anymore, though.
abhinav
Regular

Postby RootNote » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:04 pm

A brand of guitar lubrication called "Nut sauce" is widely used. Vaseline is also much used, just a little put on with a dull pencil point or a paper clip. Some use mineral oil regularly which can be done w/out loosening strings or moving string out of nut slot. Chapstick is also much used. Gibson/Epis are notorious for "G" and "B" strings going flat constantly, and lubrication really helps. Sometimes ABR-1 Tune-O-matic bridges cause the problem, while Nashville "TOM" bridges don't. Other times guys like to screw down the stop bar to increase sustain, which causes strings to almost touch bridge, and also press bridge slots- lubrication on the bridge slot helps that also. Sometimes a nut slot file or needle file is needed to "rout" a nut slot which is binding. Pencil graphite is dirty and causes buildup after a while.
RootNote
Regular

Postby drob » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:24 pm

I use a number one pencil and scribble where the strings touch the saddles n nut slots....powder graphite works great but is a little messy. nut sauce is good stuff but I use the pencils anyway so...
drob
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:48 pm

RootNote, when you run across some anhydrous lanolin, give it a try. Works way better than Vaseline, Chapstick, chassis grease, etc. Only takes a bit.
ricochet
Regular

Postby RootNote » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:21 pm

I took a shot at routing out the "G" nut slot yesterday on a plastic Gibson nut with 600 sandpaper very lightly, and loused up the tuning even more. Before it wouldn't stay in tune but was semi usable. So, I ordered a pre-slotted bone nut from Mojo Supply ($16), and that will solve the problem now. This is first my nut casualty in 48 years of playing, other than wearing one out. They usually knock out pretty easily on Fenders, but sometimes they have to be sawn in half first on Gibsons/Epi's. Trick then is to have a set of nut slot files or to take it to a Luthier who has a set and has measuring tool; Kentucky windage "eyeballing" doesn't work with this. Rats! After replacement it usually has to have bridge supports set up again also. Oh well, nothing lasts forever. I might use this op to add a Tonepros AVR-II bridge also ($64), so it might add to tone. Best thing about this hobby/profession is that repairs are usually fairly cheap. It's what I call an "Armstrong" hobby/profession. Some others call it "Headstrong".
RootNote
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:02 am

I need to get one of those nuts for my Agile AS-820 cheapo 335 clone fitted with P-90s. I love that guitar, but its "graphite" nut is actually some sort of soft sticky black plastic that's really bad about binding the strings.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:47 pm

Ric, my agile has that same nut. It's pretty bad. I'd probably change it out if I used the guitar more, but since I really only use it for slide, I have yet to change it out.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:37 pm

I haven't changed it because I'm basically lazy, but I've spent more time on things like "sawing" out the slots with strings, lubricating and such than I would have by just changing the thing.
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:18 am

My advice is, have the slots in the nut cut correctly and you don't have to lubricate the nut on your guitar. I've never lubricated the nuts on any of my guitars and they all stay in tune perfectly thru heavy bending.
grady
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues