Electric Guitar for Beginner But Experienced Musician.

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Electric Guitar for Beginner But Experienced Musician.

Postby neil sharpe » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks for the suggestions, link, and the Albert King video. I started looking through YouTube and found a number of other good technique videos. They'll be nice to access when I finally get a guitar and start to work through the basics.
neil sharpe
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:04 am

Just my two cents for something I would NOT recommend. Don't get a Mexican Strat.

I bought one after Thanksgiving last year because I've always liked Strats. Well, it sounded like crap (which was ok because I was planning on putting different pickups in it anyway), but the necks on them are awful. I love that guitar because after switching out the pickups, it sounds AMAZING. But the neck just feels cheap. Difficult to play, and it seems to me as if the neck keeps "warping" so to speak. I've had two professional set ups done, and I've set it up 4 times, all in one year. It seems that the neck keeps changing causing the notes up the neck to not be in pitch. After the last setup, she finally is playing semi-decent, but that guitar is WAY more work than it needs to be. Maybe I just picked the crappy one outta the bunch?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:03 pm

Wow- I believe you had a crappy one. I've had 2 mex strats and they were both excellent guitars -only issue on one was pickups a bit weak. Neck and fretboard were great ( better than my 93 Clapton strat )

As a friend says- they are either built by mexicans in mexico for less money or built by mexicans in California for big bucks

Seems henry garza of Los Lonely Boys uses Mex strats with custom shop pickups.
goldbrick
Regular

Postby neil sharpe » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:55 pm

After quite a bit of looking both in shops and online, I decided to go with the Ibanez AG95 Artcore semi-hollow electric guitar, price $425.00 (Canadian) which includes a nice hard case.

I did try out a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus which was a great guitar and a great deal. However, given that I'm a raw beginner, at least on guitar, I decided to go with a semi-hollow. When I'm practicing a sax, it means going into a sound room in my basement (or risk the wrath of the neighbors). The semi-hollow seemed to be more convenient for practice.

As well, I thought that I'd start with one that gives me a little versatility, has good reviews, and is one which I have a chance of getting some decent money back, in case I decide to move on to something else later.

Many thanks to everyone for your thoughtful comments and insights!
neil sharpe
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:05 pm

Senor Sharpe...glad you found one thats right for you. Post a pic of that 'thang that we may encourage the growth of our own GAS.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:14 pm

I've heard great things about the Artcore series! Congrats on your pick!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:02 am

neil sharpe wrote:After quite a bit of looking both in shops and online, I decided to go with the Ibanez AG95 Artcore semi-hollow electric guitar, price $425.00 (Canadian) which includes a nice hard case.

You made a great choice.
I use a Ibanez AF95 and a AFS85TNT a lot.
I take them to gigs and they never fail in playability & tone.
I have a lot of guitars to choose from here at my house and the Ibanez Artcores are used a lot.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:14 am

An Ibanez hollowbody is my boy's favorite guitar.
ricochet
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues