Cable and gear organization

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Cable and gear organization

Postby bignick » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:28 pm

I'm just a big fan of cases with a lot of pockets Bubba.

Though I also keep it really simple. I was messing with rack gear for awhile and I just couldn't handle it :lol: Simplicity is bliss for me, but then again I never played keyboard. I was naming my cables when I had rack gear though!

The worse was when I was a drummer. I didn't have a SINGLE case or bag and I'd cringe if I had to go to a friends to jam. I had electric drums in my dorm and that was a NIGHTMARE. 20 different cables.
bignick
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:29 pm

I'm just a big fan of cases with a lot of pockets Bubba.

Though I also keep it really simple. I was messing with rack gear for awhile and I just couldn't handle it :lol: Simplicity is bliss for me, but then again I never played keyboard. I was naming my cables when I had rack gear though!

The worse was when I was a drummer. I didn't have a SINGLE case or bag and I'd cringe if I had to go to a friends to jam. I had electric drums in my dorm and that was a NIGHTMARE. 20 different cables.
bignick
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:40 am

Just lug you an acoustic piano, Bubba. A 9 foot Bösendorfer ought to be audible in most jams.

A musician in NEw Orleans (Billy Ding of Billy Ding and the Wings) used to have his piano on casters and would roll it all over the quarter and marigny to gigs. Never thought about how difficult this was until this MAy when Billy died and as part of his funeral we were in a second line parade from the Cathedral down Chartres Street to Frenchmen and after some activities there on all the way to the bywater. We pushed his piano in honor of him. Man we had to swap out people over and over. that thing was heavy. Just a testament to a guy lovin to play that he would carry his piano to gigs....and New Orleans streets suck!

BTW if you have never experienced a funeral and secondline for a musician (Or really any member of the community) in NEw Orleans let me tell you it is amazing. I hope that when I die I have enough friends around that I will be sent off that way.

"You better second line...when I die"--Kermit Ruffins
Slim
Regular

Postby jaybee » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:09 am

when I go to the local jam, it's a guitar in a bag, I stuff the pocket with a tuner and OD pedal, cables and some sheets with lyrics (sometimes I'm asked to sing, but I don't do it often, and can't remember lyrics that wel...)

when I'm playing a gig, it depends on what kind of gig and what place, but usually most of the cables go in an old attache case, when that's full, the rest goes in the pedalboard bag

that being said, I realise I have at least THREE old attache cases, loaded with all kinds of (spare) cables, wireless system, spare OD and tuner (two things I can't do without - well, I could do without the OD...), 2 mics and mic cables, soldering iron,... although I've started taking less and less to gigs

add to that a crate of "old" cables that I should really check (most of them ended up there because they were starting to "crackle" or shorted out on a gig), and I have WAY too much stuff lying around the house... :roll: 8)
jaybee
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues