Cable and gear organization

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Cable and gear organization

Postby jeffl » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:59 pm

A coupla weeks ago I was getting organized for playing a 2-man deal at a wedding and I couldn't find one of my microphone cables (a 25' XLR to quarter inch). I ultimately had to go buy another one. I realized that my cables and gear were in total disarray. I keep one big gear box at home, and shovel stuff into my little gear bag when I'm playin' out, and over the last 2-3 years I'd jumbled up everything. Part of the problem, I know, is that a buddy and I will loan stuff to each other, to the point that we probably are hangin' on to some of each other's gear... Anybody got any simple organizational ideas....? (I'm not the only guy with this little issue, am I.....?)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cable and gear organization

Postby texas blues » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:58 pm

Dude, I keep a seperate bag for everything I gig with. I have a small duffel that has pockets inside. Everything I need from strings to picks and slides has a spot. I have removable zip ties I use for securing cables neatly. I use the kind that you put on plants that you are staking but can be adjusted or removed. Keeps everything neat. I never pilfer from the gig bag and its always ready to go. I pretty much do the same with guitars. I have one V , an Epi, I play at home, and a Gibson V, I use for gigs only. Now the National Delphi...tis another story. It pulls double duty and is backed up by my Orpheum reso. Being a solo act, I never have to lend anything, and I never ever let someone handle my guitars..well maybe I would let Lummo....but everyone else...get your own.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:56 pm

texas blues wrote:Dude, I keep a seperate bag for everything I gig with. I have a small duffel that has pockets inside. Everything I need from strings to picks and slides has a spot. I have removable zip ties I use for securing cables neatly. I use the kind that you put on plants that you are staking but can be adjusted or removed. Keeps everything neat. I never pilfer from the gig bag and its always ready to go. I pretty much do the same with guitars. I have one V , an Epi, I play at home, and a Gibson V, I use for gigs only. Now the National Delphi...tis another story. It pulls double duty and is backed up by my Orpheum reso. Being a solo act, I never have to lend anything, and I never ever let someone handle my guitars..well maybe I would let Lummo....but everyone else...get your own.

Cheers, TB.
Part of my problem, TB, is that the bulk of my playing is my weekly jam, hosted at a guys house... so I use only part of my gear for that, and it's not the same stuff every week, depending on if I have the energy to mess with gear or not. So it's not like I'm giggin', where I'd basically haul the same stuff every time. I'm usually a pretty organized person, so it really bothered me that I may have lost a good mic cable. There's alotta stuff I don't use at all right now, 'cuz our bunch rarely plays amplified, except for my keyboard, mebbe my harp mic, and the bass; all the gear I rarely use has become jumbled. Prob'ly gotta do like the wife when she cleans closets: take everything out and re-organize it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:04 pm

Isn't "cable and gear organization" an oxymoron?

I suppose it could be something like GAS Anonymous as well, come to think of it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:58 pm

Plastic milk crates. The square ones. I've had these for like 20 years, used them everywhere in the USA that I've lived. I tie my cables with little loops of Parachute chord. On small live shows with amplification, I just bring what I ned in a small duffle bag.

Many engineers label the ends of their mic cords; after seeing some confusion when 2 companies were providing cables at the same show, I started naming mine instead. Each end of each cable has a little label with it's name; Huey, Dewey, Louis, Tippy and Earl. Have'nt named anthing but guitars and mic cables, though. That'd be crazy.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:26 pm

ricochet wrote:Isn't "cable and gear organization" an oxymoron?

I suppose it could be something like GAS Anonymous as well, come to think of it.
Yeah, and I added to my problems today by buying a wall-wart powered light for my keyboard music rack, just in case I actually wanna follow the notation on my sheet music. I was sick of the cheap battery operated ones; I'd gone through about 3 of those little toys.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:01 pm

allanlummox wrote:Image

Plastic milk crates. The square ones. I've had these for like 20 years, used them everywhere in the USA that I've lived. I tie my cables with little loops of Parachute chord. On small live shows with amplification, I just bring what I ned in a small duffle bag.

Many engineers label the ends of their mic cords; after seeing some confusion when 2 companies were providing cables at the same show, I started naming mine instead. Each end of each cable has a little label with it's name; Huey, Dewey, Louis, Tippy and Earl. Have'nt named anthing but guitars and mic cables, though. That'd be crazy.

Lummo...You're naming cables? Dude...I love ya man but you gotta' lighten up on the laundry detergent. Course, this comes from a guy who names his pepper plants..

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:31 am

The only time I loose somphin at a gig is when I let someone help me roll up, I loose track of everything, I picked up about a dozen draw string bags abot the size of gallon zip locks, so when I roll up I put guitar cords/mic cords in their own bag, this stops all tangles, and empty bag means somphin is missing, mic,s go in there case
601blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:16 pm

I don't gig, but when I do take my amps and guitars out to other places for jamming and what not, I just shove all my cables in the back of the amp. I haven't lost anything yet. But what works for some doesn't always work for others.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:53 am

I use cotton drawstring bags for harp mics and ziplock bags for guitar and mic cables (so you can see what's inside).

Harp case has harps (duh!), mics and mic/guitar/kettle cables. That and the amp are all I usually need.

Vocal mics/cables/clips etc live in a separate case, with cable ties and gaffa tape. That and the mic stands usually go as a 'package' - in a milk crate (apparently the universal muso storage device).

Then there's the electrical case, with extension leads, powerboards, kettle cords, speaker cables, cable ties, gaffa tape etc.

Three kids (in four bands at the moment) access the vocal stuff and the electrical stuff for gigs/rehearsals/recording (but touch my harp stuff and they're in trouble). Equipment lists are provided in each case so they can lose the list first. Sometimes they come back with more than they left with (but not often). I think they eat 4 plug powerboards - we seem to lose one a week.

More small cases seems to work better than one big one as the 'standard' poverty stricken teen/20's muso vehicle is a 15yo small hatchback, and when its got a koto, a double bass, three combo amps and three big guys in it (standard configuration for the eldest's psychedelic Japanese jazz trio), there's no room for a big road case. If they want to use the PA or any extension cabs, its 'con a parent to be a roadie' time as only one of them owns a car.

Cable and gear organisation - nice concept but I can't see it catching on!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:05 am

for me it depends- am i going to a jam? that's easy, amp with mic and an extension cord in the back, and harp case. is the duo going to play- on the street-simple, just harps, guitar, book and stand. at a club? then it's time for the lil fender p.a. wife has 2 guitars in cases, a fender concord and a epi emperor regent, plus we have at least 2 amps we use- both silvertone 1482's. she also like a ss danelectro nifty fifty for the epiphone. i keep my harp mics in a camera bag along with xlr cables, the p.a. clips together to a suitcase size, my harp case holds harps only, and i have a separate mic box for vocal mics. then music stands, mic stands, tip jar, and we have 2 flea market folding chairs painted blue and with our names stenciled in gold on them. i figure if it will all fit in the camry it's not too much stuff. all our gear plus a bag of clothes etc and maybe a cooler will fit in the car with room left over. not a LOT of room.

the only times i've lost anything was once when an unscrupulous band mate took a mic stand from next to my car, once when we were playing a benefit for 2 nights in a row and i left a mic stand, which walked away between nights, and once when i left a harp on stage by mistake and it grew wings.
jbone1
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Ahh, for the simplicity of playin' acoustically,lol! When I started luggin' a keyboard to our jams, in addition to my harp case, it added a minor pain in the butt to my routine: Since only the bass player and I use an amp, and we don't use monitors, in addition to taking me longer to set up, I have to put up with not bein' able to hear my keyboard in the mix very well, so they keep tellin' me that I could be louder on the keys (we got about 4 string players, plus the drums) . I guess that's better than bein' told I'm too loud; I've never wanted to be the guy in the band that's always playin' too loud. I usually have about 4-6 beers during the course of a 4 hour jam, and the little buzz makes collectin' my cords, power supplies, harps, keyboard, etc. a slightly tougher task, requiring more focus than I really want to achieve. I've thought about cuttin' the beers down to about 3... I'd probably play better too.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:58 pm

Just lug you an acoustic piano, Bubba. A 9 foot Bösendorfer ought to be audible in most jams.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:27 pm

ricochet wrote:Just lug you an acoustic piano, Bubba. A 9 foot Bösendorfer ought to be audible in most jams.
I'd probably just leave it there so I wouldn't have to carry it every week,lol! Hey, then everybody could just set their drinks & sheetmusic on top of the piano..! Hey, I'm jus' bitchin'...the guys that gig constantly are resigned to all this crap, but I've gotten lazy since my last band ( a coupla years now.) My music store owner jus' told me about a bar that's reopening as a blues club in town here; I told him that I've gotten so spoiled with my weekly jam that I don't know if I've got the energy to screw around playin' a bar again. I do miss the hard amplified blues that happens there, though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:31 pm

I like Dan's idea for the milk crate. I may have to go to the grocery store and see if I can get one.

In the new house in Az, my room is a lot smaller than back home, so fitting my guitars and amps is kind of a pain, and I don't really have a place for all my extra cables and pedals. Putting em in the back of the amp really only works for transport. If they're in there while playing, they rattle around.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues