Telecaster problem

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Telecaster problem

Postby Little Tina » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:00 am

Hi all!

After some experimenting I found some nice bluesy tones from my Squier std Tele, plugged directly into the amp. I am glad I still don't need that tubescreamer. Re-stringed it back to 010 strings, my spare Ibanez archtop feels much better for slide.

Anyway, seems to me that both pots are quite poorly responsive. Rolling the volume down from 10 to 0, nothing seems to happen before 5 or so and then it goes down too quickly. Same thing with the tone pot.

So the question is, are the componets just crappy or is Telecaster just so different thing that I am too stupid to use it as it should be used? Is this a vice or a virtue?

Thanks again,

Tina
Little Tina
Regular

Re: Telecaster problem

Postby maxx england » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:02 am

Little Tina wrote: So the question is, are the componets just crappy or is Telecaster just so different thing that I am too stupid to use it as it should be used? Is this a vice or a virtue?

Thanks again,

Tina

Love the mindset, I think most of us would like to meet you :mrgreen: Don't have an answer to the problem though, I just pick the things up and make twanging noises.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:14 am

ya know tina....thats a good point...I never use the tone pots on any guitar, I turn em wide open and ferget about em till I polish my guitar and check ta make sure they are open once again,,I do however use the selector between neck and bridge often, and at times the volume controls at times, I most of the time depend directly on my amp for tones,and set for such, and use boost channel for volume increases, I use very little reverb on basic settings,maybe 2-3 on the dial most of the time
601blues
Regular

Postby Little Tina » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:22 am

maxx england wrote:Love the mindset, I think most of us would like to meet you :mrgreen: Don't have an answer to the problem though, I just pick the things up and make twanging noises.

Mindset, what's that? Anyway, just gimme a sign whenever you're near Helsinki area:) I promise I'll cook something up!
Little Tina
Regular

Postby drob » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:52 pm

the pots on those things are not so great, to nearly useless...I swapped out my tele pots when I changed pick ups and I do lay with a bit of treble rolled off most of the time because my current pick ups are very hot and bright.
drob
Regular

Postby Little Tina » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:14 am

drob wrote:the pots on those things are not so great, to nearly useless...I swapped out my tele pots when I changed pick ups and I do lay with a bit of treble rolled off most of the time because my current pick ups are very hot and bright.

Ok, thanks. Do you mean useless pots in all Teles (Fenders too) or just Squiers?
Little Tina
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:25 pm

The pots I have in my Squier roll off and on very well. I don't have any problems. I wouldn't think that it is a QC issue with just Squier. Seems all brands have issues of some sort.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:45 pm

I've found that the pots on most cheap guitars suck. I had the same problem on my Strat, so I changed em out. I've heard you can buy a product to clean pots and make them work properly, however I do not know the name of the product or what it looks like.

The best bet is to buy two new 250K pots, and solder them in. It's really simple and only takes a few minutes.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:08 pm

The stuff to clean pots with is TV tuner spray, but pots nowadays are built sealed and can't be cleaned. Most pots are super cheap and crappy. They're easy to replace, though. I'd get 'em from an electronics dealer instead of a guitar store. You probably have a better chance of getting decent parts that way. Get 250K log or audio taper pots.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues