best cheap wah?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

best cheap wah?

Postby sweetness » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:32 pm

I'm looking to buy a used wah pedal, just for use every once in a while. I like Buddy Guy's wah sound, SRV's, and Cream-era Clapton, of course.

So I've got champagne taste and a beer budget. Can anyone recommend something? I'm looking at the Dunlop Crybabys, but there are so many different ones.

TIA,
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

RE: best cheap wah?

Postby lorilu » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:34 pm

Sweetness,

I don't know too much about this but I saw some really cool pedals with great names and cool colors by Danelectro. The prices were reasonable and I know they're good with sound effects. I'm sure there are many people here who can answer your question.
lorilu
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:56 pm

I have a dunlop wah. Classic crybaby with the fasil do-hicky. It dose the trick for about $100.00
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:51 pm

I prefer the Vox wah.
grady
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:03 pm

My wah is a Dunlop Cry Baby I bought used. The pot is scratchy and the switch bit the hairy bodang. Will cost more to fix than a new one so I am in the market also. I'm not upset as I got a good 15 years service out of it.
trguitar
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:48 pm

Has anyone tried those Danelectros or are they no good?
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Lu, the Dano pedals are toy quality - but fun to play with.

I had several Wah's years ago, my favorite was a Dunlop Cry Baby, but there are a lot of different versions of that.

The ugliest was an old Morley Fuzz Volume Wah - noisy, and that seemed to be the whole idea.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:59 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-06 AT 04:59 PM (EST)]I have the Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 and it do what it do jest fine!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:12 pm

I've got about a 20 year old Jimi Hendrix model Crybaby. It works great but I'm seriously considering buying a Vox for a little different sound. I have a small problem with the JH Wah I'm playing now that I was about to post on the equipment blues page. It's not really serious but something I wanted to ask about.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:19 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-06 AT 05:25 PM (EST)]I've got one of the Classic Crybaby wahs with the Fasel and a standard Dunlop Crybaby. Personally, I prefer the sound of the standard Crybaby and the switch crapped out on my Classic about a week after the *&%#ing warranty ran out. Keep an eye out on eBay, though, you can sometimes find an old American-made Thomas Organ Crybaby pretty cheap...the Italian ones are worth a bit more.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:37 pm

Yeah, those Danelectros look like toys. They are pretty cute. Good to know.
lorilu
Regular

Postby savage » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:19 am

yeah, I got ona those dunlop crybabies aswell. I was thinkin about openin it up to mess around with the sound a bit. Mine is without the fasel inductor (though i was thinkin about installin one since they're only like $15). There are lots of things people do to tweak their wah pedals, changing every little thing to get them sounding the way they want them.
savage
Regular

Postby bluesgtr68 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:06 am

I had a crybaby yrs bacvk and it was awesome,sadly it died on me and for a while I didn't use a wah but for now I'm using the rocktron black cat wah,gives 3 settings normal,classic and bass,the classic is more like a vox wah plus it has a gain switch called moan to give it a bit of kick.But if you want to check out a cool pedal go get the Boss PV-10 many wah's in one pedal as well as univibe as well.But you could also find a crybaby for under 100.00 be happy with that as well. Just don't go for the danelectros!
bluesgtr68
Regular

Update

Postby sweetness » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:16 am

Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions. I just bought a Crybaby 535Q on ebay and should get it next week. I'll post my impressions.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby sweetness » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:07 am

Got the Crybaby 535Q, and I'm lovin' it. Six different ranges (treble to bass, basically), and two other dials that vary the EQ and the sharpness of the wah, and then adds gain and boost. So a whole lot of wah sounds to experiment with.

Since it's the only wah I've owned, I really am not an expert and can't compare it to any other wah. But it sounds great to these ears! Tryin out a little Voodoo Chile. Oh yeah!

It also seems to change my playing style. I play more notes several times in a row, where I usually don't. Maybe because it's almost a different note every time you play it. I'm pulling out Disraeli Gears and listening to Clapton's wah work on that. And I'm agreeing with a pro guitarist I know, who thinks Clapton never really did anything better after that. Anyway, it's might tasty stuff.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues